The Off Topic

I used to respect you, thinking you were a man of excellent taste…

3 Likes

Mmmm Bovril. Just add boiling water, that’s what it’s all about. At least for us Brits.

1 Like

I remember meat paste sandwiches as a child. Sandwich spread and Toast Toppers. Best though is Beef dripping sandwiches.

2 Likes

That I can actually get behind. And Roast Pork sandwiches with dripping on crispy breadcakes…

Now I’m hungry!

2 Likes

Completely agree. Been there twice now and it was our last “big” vacation before everything went crazy. Enjoy your vacation.

1 Like

This one was unexpected.

4 Likes

Just saw this too!! Sad :disappointed:

3 Likes

End of an era, big reason I got so into electronic music back in the day. Did a great job bringing French house to the mainstream

2 Likes

Devastating. But at the same time I’m not sad. I am happy for the legacy that is left behind. It’s better to end something at the right time then to consciously ruin and destroy the same legacy I mentioned earlier. It seems as though Thomas doesn’t think he can meet up the standards and keep up, thus he is leaving (this is just an assumption of mine).

And if you watched the video, there is some sort of hope. My interpretation is that Thomas is leaving Daft Punk, but it is not 100% clear whether he is leaving the music scene as a whole. However, it is clear that Guy is staying, moving forward in a way. Whether that means continuing to carry the Daft Punk legacy, or start a solo career of his own — we have yet to see.

These guys were insane perfectionists, they have left a legacy that is to be admired and studied for generations. One of the best to ever do it.

4 Likes

As you well wrote I believe the high standard set by the duo has brought Thomas to a breaking point.
We’ll see in time what he can do.
Now it looks like he needs a break.
Sad to see the duo split up but in certain circumstances the better thing is to be honest with ourselves and accept to do what we can.

3 Likes

I always support ending something at a peak then to let the downfall happen (especially when you are aware of the downfall!). Both of the guys are extremely smart and are geniuses, I don’t think either of them will let the downfall happen. You have to stay honest with yourself, although there are so many layers to it… especially when you are a band of their size.

Just judging by their releases, you can see how much time each project takes. A lot.

I’ll keep listening to their past work while I wait to see what the future holds.

2 Likes

Have none of you people heard of Nutella?

Actually Nutella was too expensive so it was cheapo peanut butter for me growing up.

My dad liked ducks blood soup and head cheese… and it’s exactly what you think it is. That was a no go for this youngster.

6 Likes

Love the stuff.

Ideally spread thickly on a lightly toasted all-butter croissant.

2 Likes

I live at no more than a half an hour car drive from the place where Nutella’s made.
Not my cup of tea but it is a great support for local economy.

2 Likes

You live in a beautiful place!

1 Like

Love head cheese, blood sausage, and pate.

I’m a glutton, not a gourmet.

4 Likes

I’ve been lucky enough to escape from city life and end up living on an isolated hill near Alba (Cuneo).
It has totally changed my psychological approach to everything in life.
It is a really beautiful place with ancient small villages and a life rhythm that lets you the time to breath.

5 Likes

It certainly is beautiful! I spent a couple of years in Genova (also lived on Venice for a couple of years) and used to escape at weekends to just drive up around your area or along the coast to Monaco.

4 Likes

I’m born near Monaco and spent most of my childhood in Port Grimaud, Menton and Antibes.
They are the places where I return when I have the possibility during holidays.
Nice places to live.

5 Likes

Please don’t mention Nutella. I get obsessive about things I really like. This happened at the beginning of lockdown. After 6 months I put on 3st in weight. OMG. I have nearly lost it all now thank goodness. But, yes Nutella is gorgeous stuff. Problem is I am a greedy bugger. Lol.

5 Likes