The On-Topic, OFF-TOPIC Thread

I think I know the site you’re talking about, an esteemed individual had an article on why multicore CPUs were inferior to single-core CPUs, I think I fell out of my chair reading it. It said a lot about objectivity and lack of understanding of computer architecture and system software.

2 Likes

Can anyone suggest a source to buy the foam for the AKG K240 with free shipping in the US?

I have only found one source in the EU (Thomann) and although the foam inserts cost 2€, the shipping is an extra 20€.

I will be swinging by Miami in a couple of weeks and if I could get them delivered to the office before I get there it would be great!

2 Likes

Another slightly odd behavior I see … not very commonly - but a lot more so than I would have expected …

I get a PM asking for my thoughts on a couple or three items - usually DACs, sometimes amps, that I’ve often not heard and, typically, manages to include at least one unit I’ve never even heard of.

And in such messages it is usually fairly obvious what answer is desired (i.e. which unit they’d like to see my preference lean towards).

Most of the time, since I’ve not heard the unit(s) in question, my response isn’t very useful. And even more often, it’s not the response that the poster clearly wants. Which is usually met with several follow up messages attempting to “persuade” me into stating a specific preference - often by including links to hype-filled threads on forums I don’t put much stock in, usually full of posts by people with no listening/review history to even form an opinion about their opinions.

That’s all fair enough … the “persuasion part” is a bit fruitless … I’ve either heard it or not, and if so I’ll have an opinion, good, bad or indifferent - which isn’t going to be swayed by the thoughts of others - but it’s not unusual or that weird.

The odd part is how often I get another message, from a “different” user asking about the very same units, and asking the same questions, in different ways, with the same, apparent, desired answer, a couple of days later.

Of course, when I say “different” user, it’s just a different username and it is always obvious that it is just the SAME user on a different account … even without looking at their IPs. Which makes for some entertaining response-posibilities …

9 Likes

I wonder if they might be associated with said gear/company lol trying to get a positive thumbs up from you that they can quote :joy:

2 Likes

Most of the time, probably 99% of the time, the initial post is from someone that has a long posting history on Head-Fi (or the like), so while that’s certainly a possibility, usually I recognize the name (having near-perfect recall is a swine for that sort of thing).

2 Likes

That’s funny.

They’re reaching out for your opinions that are based on your ability to critically think, but at the same time think they can ‘game’ you for an answer. :rofl:

1 Like

Also … when it comes to getting a positive comments on gear from me, first I actually have to have heard it and second, I have to have liked it.

I used to post comments about things I’d heard and didn’t like. But I generally don’t even bother with that anymore, unless specifically asked (i.e. I don’t usually jump into threads for products I didn’t like and make a point of letting everyone know that).

But if I am specifically asked about a given unit, and I have heard it, and didn’t like it, I’m not typically going to sugar coat things.

3 Likes

That annoys me. Greatly. If you want my opinion, fine, I’ll give it to you. Don’t be disingenuous and/or dishonest by asking for my opinion while also telling me what my opinion should be. In fact, you can bugger right off with that crap.

And here is the second part that I find disturbing. Someone clearly has an agenda, didn’t get the answer they wanted, so a different username is suddenly going to convince me to do otherwise?

These people aren’t clever. Not by a country mile.

4 Likes

Aren’t you glad you won’t have to deal with the crazies of the audiophile world anymore Ian? I would be, were I you. Well deserved R&R for you

2 Likes

Definitely!

Though it’ll be interesting to see how long those sorts of requests go on. After all, I still have people asking me direct questions in public threads, and newly “following” me, on forums I’ve either not posted on in a couple of years and/or have only ever made half a dozen posts on total.

Which can be flattering, but also shows they’re not really paying attention.

3 Likes

If you were ever curious as to whether your DAC suffers from audible artifacts from intersample-overs, just play the Redbook version of Pet Shop Boy’s “Electric”.

This is a mess on a lot of the recent ESS-based DACs I’ve had around.

Fares better on the more recent AKM-based stuff.

The first three tracks pretty much keep my pre/post analyzer(s) indicating OVER from start to finish.

RME ADI-2 DAC FS (4493) and Pro FS R BE (w/ Pre-Metering) are fine.

5 Likes

Also the RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE should include a set of the feet that the DAC FS version comes with (it doesn’t, since it’s intended for use both on the desk and in a rack).

1 Like

Alsø alsø a møøse once bit my sister …

3 Likes

Flag this! It’s not “on topic, off topic” – it’s OFF TOPIC!!!

2 Likes

Must be a first for me! :wink:

1 Like

@Torq special badge: First OFF TOPIC Post *

2 Likes

Listening to the HEDDphone via RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE -> Phonitor X … wondering why the bass is suddenly non-existent, the treble is hugely rolled and the general sound is thin and reedy …

Then I realized I was streaming movies in the background, at night, and had turned down the bass and treble on the RME so as not to disturb my wife.

It’s time for a drink … right?

9 Likes

After the day you had…, most definitely. :tumbler_glass:’’:tumbler_glass:

2 Likes

It is very nice of you, taking care of your wifes comfort!

cheers! after such a day!

2 Likes

I agree with @ValentineLuke

And with @MartinTransporter

So YES it’s time for a drink :tumbler_glass: or :tumbler_glass: :tumbler_glass: or :tumbler_glass: :tumbler_glass: :tumbler_glass:

2 Likes