Train Songs

So if I made my playlist on ROON, I’m SOL. :phone: I was reading the ROON knowledge base, at it looks like this used to be a function that they took away.

:phone: shit, outta luck

You might then want to jump on someone else’s train…

2 Likes

Ok, trains. I know a LOT about trains. Been a fan since the late 1960’s.

Illinois Central - A Paper Railroad - is all Canadian National now. Yes, a Canadian Railroad now runs to New Orleans.

I have a MoFi Album of the restored Nickle Plate Road ( New York, Chicago & St. Louis Railroad’s nickname. ) 2-8-4 Steamer # 765. It will punish any stereo system to try and reproduce the sounds of a hard working steam engine.

Mark Gosdin

3 Likes
2 Likes

Nice! That video is of the London Victoria to Brighton route in the UK. I used to live along it and grew up in the same town as The Cure.

Elvis Presley, Mystery Train!

(Movie reference for extra credit?)

2 Likes

If you are getting nostalgic about going home:

3 Likes

A song about trains as sung by Earl Jordan – the man who could sing 3 notes at once and sounded like a train himself:

This song led to the musical Starlight Express.

3 Likes

:metal::loud_sound:

1 Like

I love Muddy Waters. I like going back to early blues. Here’s a selection from my list that won’t export. Very traditional.

1 Like

Let’s keep wallowing in the blues with some Howlin’ Wolf.

4 Likes

Love’s Train - Con Funk Shun (or the Dru Hill cover)… I mean, sometimes, it’s okay to beg…

Now this is probably my favorite music thread so far! Bluegrass ABOUNDS with train songs…probably oversaturated lol… Anyway, here’s a few of my favorites.

Kentucky Borderline (Rhonda Vincent & the Rage)

Steel Rails (Alison Krauss & Union Station)

Blue Train (Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver)

And of course…the granddaddy of all train songs, the Orange Blossom Special! This particular version is actually my family’s band, The Family Sowell. I’m the banjo player.

7 Likes

Thank you for those. Orange Blossom Special I know well, but I need to hear Steel Rails. You got one hotshot fiddle player in your family. I kept waiting for mandolin and your banjo to take some solos.

2 Likes

My preferred version:

Steel Rails is probably Alison’s most covered song. It’s a classic bluegrass train song. As far as other instruments taking solos on Orange Blossom Special, that doesn’t happen in our band at least, and I don’t know too many bands that do that anyway. He is quite the fiddler, but we try to keep his head normal-sized lol! Thanks for listening!

2 Likes