What headphones do you have in your collection and why?

Check the thread =)

4 Likes

Just shy of two years from that post and look at your collection now compared to then.

Amazing what this forum does.

3 Likes

ā€¦and not having debt and disposable incomeā€¦and a wife that is willfully ignorant of my ridiculous purchasesā€¦

10 Likes

Good on you, brother. Good on you.

2 Likes

I need to get me one of those.

ā€¦ A disposable income. Not a wife.

6 Likes

Same! :rofl:

2 Likes

Well, to be fairā€¦Iā€™ve taken a break from work so, less disposable income at the moment lolā€¦need to up my day trading game lol

5 Likes

Primary Cans:

These are listed in order of how much listening time they get, on average, in any given month:

RAAL-requisite SR1a: Single best all-around headphone Iā€™ve heard, bar none - closer to listening on a good near-field speaker setup than any other headphone Iā€™ve heard (which includes all of the current flagships Iā€™m aware of). Itā€™s the fastest, most detailed and resolving, linear, dynamic and transparent headphone Iā€™ve come across. If not for the need of a proper speaker amplifier (or Jotunheim R), and early on a little EQ, this would be the only open headphone I would need (though there are a couple of others Iā€™d still want and keep). One of only two current headphones I know of that can do proper depth-wise imaging and spatialization.

ZMF - VĆ©ritĆ©: My favorite headphone from CanJam @ RMAF 2018. So nice, I bought it thrice. Pre-ordered the Pheasantwood, then made an aesthetic choice to switch to the Ziricote version (sold the Pheasantwood) and then added a set in Cocobolo so I could have one set at home and one in the office. The extensive array of natively swappable pads allow me to tune their signature in various interesting and compelling ways, while retaining their impressive technical performance. These tend to be what I reach for whenever Iā€™m simply listening for pleasure and/or not using the SR1a or MySphere at this point, and are the only open-backed headphone I use in the office anymore.

LB-Acoustics - MySphere 3.2: Closest I can get to the SR1a with normal headphone outputs/amplifiers. An excellent headphone in its own right, with excellent resolution (matches, maybe exceeds, the Utopia), speed, tone and timbre, and the only other headphone after the SR1a that will do ā€œproperā€ staging and imaging (though not as close to a near-field speaker setup as the SR1a can be). It is what I turn to first for critical listening when I canā€™t run the SR1a, such as when listening on the deck via a DAP, and I use them in a transportable manner as well.

Focal - Utopia: Best all-around open-back dynamic-driver headphone Iā€™ve experienced. Class-defining resolution, superlative macro and micro dynamics, excellent (if not perfect) tone and timbre, easy to drive well, extremely comfortable, gorgeous, and until the arrival of the SR1a and MySphere received 80% or more of my listening time. Today, I go here if I want something more incisive/less romantic than the ZMF VĆ©ritĆ© but donā€™t want the unrelenting force-you-to-pay-attention presentation of the SR1a or MySphere.

Audeze LCD-4: Despite needing EQ (ideally via the Audeze ā€œRevealā€ plug-in) to get to a properly natural tonality for me, these are the best overall planar headphone Iā€™ve heard to date. They give up a little bass impact, a little speed and present a narrower stage than the Abyss or the Susvara, but otherwise theyā€™re easier to live with and enjoy for a broader number of genres, while delivering superior low-level detail, timbre and comfort and are usefully easier to drive.

Rosson Audio Design - RAD-0: A gorgeous, unique, much easier to drive, alternative to the LCD-4, that trades a little raw technical prowess against better native tonality. Far more usable in broader circumstances, with the benefit that it was much less expensive than adding a second pair of LCD-4.

Focal Stellia: Superseded the HD820 as my favorite closed-back can. Most of the best traits of the Utopia, but with more low-end presence, distinctive style, and a more expansive stage rendering. Only viable alternative I know of is the VƩritƩ Closed, which with the right pads I have a slight overall preference for, though the Stellia does win out in some technical matters that are advantageous with certain musical genres.

Sennheiser HD800S: Originally bought for classical listening, prior to having the Utopia, as my planar cans at the time did not fair so well in that genre (and in fact, even the best of them today have issues with big, complex, orchestral works that I donā€™t find with dynamic headphones), it remains in my collection as a well-known reference headphone. Itā€™s supremely comfortable, light, and is more tonally pleasant than its predecessor while retaining solid technical performance.

ZMF Eikon (Padauk): A fun, punchy, warm, liquid and extremely engaging closed-back headphone that is what I reach for when I want to chill, add some excitement to already dynamic/fast/fun music. A bit of a guilty pleasure vs. some of the other cans here in technical terms (though it is certainly no slouch), but also something that works amazing well in undoing the fatigue of the day, without generating any listening fatigue while doing so.

Sennheiser HD820: Having not found closed-back satisfaction with the Sony MDR-Z1R or Fostex TH-900 Mk2, I tried the HD820. Despite very polarized opinions on it, it worked very well for me. It was the best overall closed-back Iā€™d heard to that point, even if it wasnā€™t tonally as pure as the open-backed HD800S or other similarly priced cans. It remains in my collection because it looks awesome and Iā€™ve been too lazy to sell it, and there are some functions/genres where I feel it performs slightly better than the Stellia.

ZMF Aeolus (Blackwood): This is too new to evaluate properly, beyond saying it is a lovely, rich, but still technically rewarding, listen. Iā€™ve only had them for four weeks now, and was away for two and half of those, so beyond saying they are keepers, I donā€™t know where they ultimate fall in the line-up.

Incoming/Ordered Models:

ZMF VĆ©ritĆ© Closed (Custom): To date, the most enjoyable closed back headphone Iā€™ve heard. Just pips the Stellia in that regard for me, though they trade blows in different technical areas. Most open-sounding closed-back Iā€™ve heard. This is likely to be my sole ā€œworld-tourā€ closed back and, quite possibly, the only headphone I will use for the parts of that where I can only have one headphone with me.

HEDDphone: Very interested in this one, but havenā€™t heard it at all yet. Hoping it has not been damagingly overhyped by those that have only heard a prototype in show conditions or that havenā€™t heard it at all but are loudly pinning their hopes on it dethroning other, much more expensive, flagships (true ā€œgiant killersā€ are ridiculously rare in my experience).

Notable Models on Hiatus:

Abyss AB-1266 Phi CC: Iā€™d have bought the TC version, since Iā€™ve had every version since launch, but that necessitated buying a whole new set (at $4,995) and taking a surprisingly large loss on the ones I had. Given how late I was in the TCā€™s lifecycle, I decided just to sell my Phi CC set and then wait and see what the next iteration/upgrade is. Though for the most part, the SR1a with a suitable amp and bass-EQ, had resulted in my not listening to these very much anymore anyway.

17 Likes

Itā€™s been said that you can make a small fortune day trading, if you start with a large one.

7 Likes

When I came across your post, I decided to stop scrolling and make a sandwich in anticipation of the read.
That is quite a collection and I appreciate your great review summary of all. Your report on the Focals, specifically the Utopia, reinforced my recent decision to purchase a well cared for, already burned in set. I canā€™t wait till Tuesday for the big brown truck to arrive.

4 Likes

Hi guys :wave:
I think this is my first post around here, but I have been reading a lot of your posts the last couple of months.
Okay here goes:

DAP
Fiio M11

Headphones
Beyerdynamic T5P
Beyerdynamic DT 1990
Sendy Audio Aiva
Urbanfun 45mm Beryllium
Kennerton Vali 1st gen.

IEM
64 Audio A3e custom
Campfire Audio Comets
Tin-hifi T3
Tin hifi P1
ikko OH10
BGVP DMG
Shure 535
Shure 215
B&O H5
1more Triple driver
BRAGI The Dash
Sony WF-1000x
(and more I canā€™t remember)

AMPā€™s
Monolith by Monoprice with THX AAA Technology
xDuoo Ta-10
Fiio A5

Future buyā€™s:
ZMF Eikon
Xduoo xd-05 plus
64Audio A4t or A6t - custom
SMSL SU-8 Dac (and an amp to follow suit, but I have not decided which yet)

And lots of cables from Periapt, OIDIO and Forza audio.
I am hooked into this hobby :scream:

9 Likes

Jesus Christā€¦ that list is equal to most of my dream HPā€™sā€¦ If you ever come around Europe, feel free to look by with 4-5 of those cans :blush:

3 Likes

Welcome @Gordon_Freeman!!

1 Like

Hey Jacob,

thank you for sharing your setup!

By chance- have you tried the 1990s with the AKG 240 foams, as kind of ā€œmodā€ to tame down the highs by a reasonable amount? The foams are 5ā‚¬ - did not order them yet.

The Forza Audio cables are also still on my list.

1 Like

No the 1990s are used as-is; they are my daily driver when at the computer and not listening to music, but YouTube, games, videos etc.

I can rec the Forza cables, they are very nice and a high level of quality with a real luxury feeling. I have this ā€œNoir Hybrid HPCā€ with a balanced connector:

3 Likes

Yes just for looks it rocks hard- though a bit over my usual custom cables price range yet.

1 Like

Yeah, I also had to think twice about it, but they have two versions so I took the cheapest :wink:

1 Like

Oh I wasnā€™t aware of this! - thank you

2 Likes

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en/category.php?id_category=36

4 Likes

Yes. I was already in config mode with the MK2 haha

In Poland, there are quite a few interesting audio companies

Think of the beautiful Felix Audio tubes and Forza

2 Likes