What music have you been listening to this past week?

I decided to revisit this album as I haven’t listened to it in its entirety in probably a year or so:

Having seen them live during this tour in Virginia, Far Cry still gives me chills.

Regards,
Vic

Stage… and spatial depth… :+1:

4 Likes

I have been listening to Charlotte Adigéry’s debut album Topical Dancer and I love it. It’s electronic pop and the lyrics are so funny, sarcastic, and interesting, full of commentary on the 2020’s and our complex relationships.

It’s also a good test for headphones, with plenty of bass. Give it a listen.
I found it on Qobuz and have had it in heavy rotation. I’ve ordered the limited edition LP set directly from the label to support the artist (here if you are interested).

1 Like

6 Likes

The Midnight’s latest album dropped yesterday and it’s what I’ve been listening to non-stop for the last 24 hours while getting work done in Europe! I also managed to get @andrew listening to it on loop as well.

2 Likes

I have had these guys on play

I still have your recommended test track playlist saved on my Amazon Music. Since Amazon is my preferred stream platform, do you have a recommended way to discover music? I am finding it to be so mainstream that the only way I branch out at times is to go by the recommendations of others on topics like this. I know Qobuz seemed to do better with it, but I didn’t care for their platform or pricing for that matter.

“Revealer” LP by Madison Cunningham
Revealer :heart_eyes_cat: :heart_eyes_cat: :heart_eyes_cat:

I use a few of the music services including Amazon, so I know what you mean. For me, it’s about searching for similar artists to ones I like that I discover or asking fellow music lovers for recommendations. Also, Roon helps with the discovery a lot, but that is through Qobuz and tidal. You might like section of your Amazon Music should at least recommend some winners at times then click on those recommendations, then navigating over to play similar music will generate some more winners but agree Amazon’s discovery is weak compared to other services.

Another way to do it is to use Spotify free version for their music discovery and then translate that over into your main platform. The other way I do it is try to find used cheap vinyl locally and buy it and discover that way, kind of the old-school way of doing it but can be very fun. Hope that helps, buddy. @skeeb23

2 Likes

Muse’s Will of the People

Wow! This is an extremely hot and compressed album. The Loudness War continues. Muse trods familiar ground with its song structures and dystopian themes, and I’ve not heard much evolution from this band for maybe 5 to 10 years.

I may not still be listening next week.

1 Like

Note that this remix was done in 2018.
Waters and Gilmour have been arguing 4 years over who gets credit in one song in the liner notes.
My favorite Pink Floyd album

3 Likes

Been going through a strings phase. Spent lots of time trying to find something that highlights some nice acoustic guitar or strings and isn’t too laid back (not looking for songs to go to sleep by). Here’s a few tracks I like, but I’ve also got some Yngwie Malmsteen and Stevie Ray Vaughan, so I can do any genre pretty much. Anyone have any suggestions?

2 Likes

The Chameleons

Hello forum denizens. We all know that @Torq introduced us to his bass testing track, Chameleon by Trentemøller, and used by many reviewers here , including @SenyorC and sometimes @Resolve, but when you start looking at tracks named Chameleon, there are many many artists who have released songs named Chameleon. I even saw Herbie Hancock do his Chameleon (which is the most popular) live not long after it came out.

But I’ve always liked Culture Club’s Karma Chameleon, Boy George has a great voice. This one shows the benefits of a remaster, there is the original, and the 2002 remaster, which is much more punchy, but not in a bad way. It’s almost as if the original is veiled.

Those may be the big 3, but don’t forget Elton John’s Chameleon or Creedence Clearwater Revival’s Chameleon. But wait! There’s more. Let’s not leave out other electronica and techno. Boris Brejcha has a great live techno song Chameleon, and I found an interesting vocal Chameleon by Matisayu.

And since Herbie’s version is so popular, there are great covers of it, by George Duke and Maynard Ferguson. Sorry, I can’t get a songwhip link for the George Duke, but I do have all of this on a Qobuz Playlist

The above said, while I was exploring all of this I happened on a jazz album named Chameleon by Badi Assad. It’s delightful, and contains a must-hear cover of Harrison’s “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”

So that’s it from your resident A.D.D. oldster, @pennstac

4 Likes

Replying to myself again, gotta learn better. I’ve been trying to give some different headphones in my collection a bit of ear time, and have been going through this playlist, Surprisingly, the Trentemøller gets some real slam on the GRADO RS1e with the Beautiful Audio pads. More than I expected, they’re also great with the George Duke cover of Hancock’s tune. That piece is a real stunner. Last night I was listening to this list on the Hifiman HE-560 - overall a more laid-back presentation.

Everything is sitting in my comfy recliner, using iPad Pro with Qobuz today, Through ROON yesterday because I thought the HiFiman needed a slight bass shelf and a slight high shelf - the last +2db starting at 9100hz and a Q of.75. That helped with the cymbals, Not needing a high frequency boost with the Grados, but they are never ever shrill, either,

2 Likes

Because sometimes the classics are a classic for a reason. :headphones: :heart:

5 Likes

The production quality on this album is insane. It’s a fantastic recording in all respects.

1 Like

Now Playing, in honor of International Talk Like a Pirate Day. Ahoy, Maties!!!

AAaaaarrrgh! It’s good.

2 Likes

Here’s my contribution…

2 Likes