What music have you been listening to this past week?

Interesting. It’s not “organ music” it’s from organ, then played with.

1 Like

Made the songwhip link today

I’m going to listen on my home setup with the Hive estats and Bifrost2.

7 Likes

I was a huge Radiohead fan, from 18ish until, well, I just quit listening to them, somewhere during the Elliott Smith and Ryan Adams years.

I’ve been going back to “In Rainbows”. There’s a lot more there than I remember.

Going back into a band I loved so much almost feels indulgent, like I’m letting myself off the hook of looking for something new.

8 Likes

I’ve only ever been able to find artefact-ridden low-bitrate mp3s sadly, but this is sublime:

3 Likes

If you’re into Sound Art and installations interaction with sounds this Bill Fontana is a milestone.
The files come with an extensive PDF booklet where you get all the infos about the crazy installation created by Fontana and the way it worked.
For further infos check Alan Licht’s “Sound Art”, a go to book for this argument.

1 Like

Probably not the type of music most of you would enjoy, but I’ve been revisiting the albums Syre and Erys by Jaden (Smith). People see him as a bit of a meme, but these albums are actually quite good. The opening sets of four tracks for each album B, L, U, E for Syre and P, I, N, K for Erys are both excellent. Willow’s vocal contributions are ethereal at times and emotionally moving at others.

Jaden’s vocal delivery is consistent, if you like how he sounds you’ll like most of his delivery. His lyrics range from legitimately poignant or excitingly clever to delusionally self-important or pseudo-intellectual. The inconsistent lyrical content is definitely the weakest part of these albums.

The production is outstanding. These albums have some subtle stylistic range and do some genuinely unique things in terms of sonic makeup.

1 Like

Can’t stop listening to Richard Ashcroft’s live EP from the Chris Evans Breakfast Show. My 20-year-old son turned me on to it a few weeks ago. Love it.

2 Likes

Good one! I actually got to hear this album live when they were touring, and it was definitely one of my favorite concerts of all time.

1 Like

Been enjoying some Nightwish, really looking forward to the virtual concert next month.

2 Likes

Update: I am listening to Amazônia on the Bifrost 2 > STAX SRM T1S > Nectar Hive chain. I took out all DSP in ROON, it’s using my “Library” version, because I downloaded it. - The Qobuz 48K 24 bit FLAC. ROON reports that TIDAL only has 44.1 16 bit FLAC.

This seriously messes with my audio head. At first, I thought I liked the LCDi3 Cipher sound better. It was more intimate, creeping in past the cerebellum’s auditory area, touching on Wernicke’s area especially with the vocal bits, touching off emotions in the temporal lobe, finally reaching the somatosensory association area with the water sounds.

However the electrostatic chain and BF2 is clearly superior. It was completely immersive, washing from the temporals and simultaneously stimulating the frontal lobe, cerebral cortex, parietal and occipital lobes. Parts 4 and 5 of the work came on and the sharp sparkly bits were ever so much more granular, starkly defined - not a curtain, but a series of curtains crackling - and the rain the rain and the river ever present.

:phone:
Did I mention that one can get lost in this soundscape?

:phone: from “Neuroanatomy: The Basics” by Kayt Sukel published August 25, 2019, and placed on the web with an invitation to share.

7 Likes

Currently listening to OutRun album by Kavinsky

Fairly simple setup:
MacBook Pro > EarMen Eagle > iBasso SR2

Volume: 2.2 Mac volume bars

1 Like

No words needed.
From La Monte Young to Miles Davis and Brian Eno in a single LP.

3 Likes

Some of my favs, and a good variety of genres. I listen to these songs all the time, and never get tired of them. :grin:

RoonShareImage-637547492170265440
RoonShareImage-637547492642294770
RoonShareImage-637547493205116210 RoonShareImage-637547493624040110 RoonShareImage-637547494391042290 RoonShareImage-637547494919085370 RoonShareImage-637547495305654320

5 Likes

Tom Petty’s Wildflowers

7 Likes

There is some kind of Zappa commemorative going on. Not sure what it is, since he was born in 1940 and passed in 1993. But anyway Qobuz was featuring a bunch of Zappa stuff. I saw him live when I was in college, he came to Penn State a number of times. Anyway, I’m a big fan of Zappa, from the early days, through the very nice Jazzy Grand Wazoo period, the laid back Just Another Band from LA. It’s hard to find Zappa I don’t like. But I listened to these two albums, which will always have a special place, from my college days and seeing them performed live. In chronological order. Watch out for yellow snow and rancid ponchos.

10 Likes

1 Like

2 Likes

Scandi Jazz

Various Artists

Released by ACT Music on April 15, 2021

Jazz • 16 Tracks • 01h 15m 37s

https://open.qobuz.com/album/tb40qc1nj0agb

2 Likes

As inspired by our recent “plant based beer” discussion:

Primus Pork Soda

No alcohol, but close.