What was the first pair of headphones that made you say HOLY CRAP?

Hi and welcome !!
That mistake with the Abyss is very common with the same results at the end and that’s why I don’t even get close to them!!

1 Like

It always amazes me that when listening I think to myself “how can it get better than this” and then something comes along and blows what I have away.

4 Likes

Hello and welcome @ekfc63.

2 Likes

Don’t know about the first “wow” honestly but my first “Love at first listen” were the Audeze LCD-3… the sound signature just made me want to sit back, relax grab a Scotch and a nice cigar and enjoy life (and I don’t smoke or drink really :joy:).

4 Likes

And that’s what it’s all about. Forget all about the gear and enjoy the music… :tumbler_glass:

4 Likes

Whiskey (rum) and music, with a good audio chain are what it is all about!

4 Likes

funny you named the LCD 3!
The only Audeze I kinda liked
Seems no one understands it, when I mentioned it elswhere.

4 Likes

I started in the stereo world, and so my standards for “wow” were set there. I’ve had a few great headphone experiences (original Sennheiser Orpheus, HD650, HD800, Focal Stelia) but nothing has made an impression on me like a pair of Apogee Caliper Signature ribbon speakers with massive Krell monoblocks and a Wadia front-end managed in the early 1990s.

7 Likes

Amen.

2 Likes

Amen to that

4 Likes

As long as I was there auditioning Focal’s Elear, which sounded great, I listened to the Utopia. Couldn’t tell much of a difference.

Tonally, Elear have an elevated upper mid-range, a significantly depressed lower-treble and presence region and lack air and space compared to the Utopia.

They sound, and measure, quite differently.

2 Likes

Koss porta pros and then VE Monks. Crap, it used to be so cheap, used HD650’s led to various others that I let go, then Verite and Verum One, I am done now, yep, unless some raal’s and Jotunheim fall into my lap.

2 Likes

I still enjoy my PortaPros daily.

1 Like

Shure SE846 IEMs were my first pair of “high-end” back then and made me realize how mediocre my experience has been listening to my then favorite Apple Ear pods. Fast forward a few years and the Stax L700+D50 Energizer was just an out of this world experience which unfortunately didn’t last long because I acquired its big brother, the SR-009S and the Focal Utopia. Time went by and the SR1a was released and oh boy, talk about another level of performance and aligned with my “end game” goal - the SR1a has set the bar outrageously high for another set of headphones to WOW me.

1 Like

I still have my SE846 for nostalgia and still listen to them from time to time.

4 Likes

My humble Sony MDR-V6. First pair of “upgrade” headphones I purchased many years ago. I vividly remember listening to Fun - Some Nights and couldn’t believe the energetic sonic bliss and resulting dopamine rush I was experiencing. Instantly hooked.

3 Likes

Focal Clears. Currently own Abyss Diana V2.

2 Likes

The Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10s - blind purchase. Used them for almost a decade before they broke and never felt the slightest urge to upgrade.

2 Likes

My first ‘audiophile’ headphone was the hd650. I ran it through a little setup from Headroom. Some here might know of it.

headroom_micro_dac_amp

I appreciated the sound as a marked improvement over anything else that was popular for non-audiophile consumers of the time.

BUT… My first real holy crap moment was the ZMF Vibro. I loved the look of the wood cups, and figured I’d give them a shot. They had everything I didn’t really get with the hd650. They made music magical for the first time. Since then, Zach hasn’t been able to get rid of me.

8 Likes