What was the first pair of headphones that made you say HOLY CRAP?

Yep. Koss Pro 4 AA’s. And Stanton turntable cartridges you could play backwards or forwards on a turntable!

1 Like

Exactly what the guy down the hall sophomore year had. And a Rec-o-cut turntable. I had te AR turntable and Shure V15 III cart and better speakers.

Walking down memory lane. Graduated college and cartridges to the Shure V15 III and eventually Ortofon. The Koss Pro 4AA was replaced by a Sansui headphone(don’t ask which one) closed back. Was just happy to hear sound in a closed back headphone.(insert embarrassed emoji here)

1 Like

That is exactly the same set that I have used for 6 years. Now the only thing I’ve changed is using the Sennheiser HD 700 primarily instead of the HD 650, for the last year.

2 Likes

Yes, that Stanton cart you probably had was the Pro 4 EE. And when I finally a year or so ago upgraded my AR table to a VPI Prime Scout, I too went with Ortofon, in my case a 2M Bronze. Still have the Rectilinear III Hi-Boy modified speakers. My wife says she married me for my stereo. Then she proceeded to upgrade pieces of it. I wish the upgrade options were available for me…

2 Likes

As the brain dwells… I think the cartridge was a Stanton 680 or 681 EE. Couldn’t justify the triple E price. Then moved on to cheap Grado carteridges. Also had an Onkyo A7 with 1/4" headphone out for my prized white and black Sansui headphones to go with the Sansui LM110 speakers. Still can’t remember Sansui headphone model number.:unamused: Or turntable… Yamaha? My girlfriend at the time would say “I want to take a nap. Tell me about your stereo system”. I’m still single…

1 Like

Sansui in the late 60’s to mid 70’s really was at it’s peak period. I still have a nearly pristine AU-919 integrated amp (100w RMS per channel, very low distortion) that I keep as a backup. Back in those days, I had awful “Veritas” headphones followed by Audio Technica’s that were pretty good. Still have em. Proto-Planar-Magnetic. The speakers were driven by various things, from a Lafayette integrated when I had nothing else, to Dynaco PAS-2 (and later PAS-3) driving 125 watt customized TigerSaurus monoblocks or Dynaco Mark IIIs that I still regret parting with.

1 Like

Yep. Found the headphones on eBay! Sansui SS10. Also activated my best friend college buddy who reminded me of my experimenting with a Rabco direct drive turntable.:thinking: This is getting too coincidental. He just texted the original turntable was a black Sansui. Was your sophomore aquaintance in Swananoa NC area from @1975 to 1980?

Nope, We Are - Penn State
But all these things are what college kids could just stretch to afford back in about 72-76. You got the time frame right. In my old dorm - freshman year, there were Dual 1214 turntables, Sansui amps and speakers, a pair of AR2AX and AR3AX speakers, I think someone had KLH. Harmon-Kardon receivers. Dynaco - PAT-4, PAS-3x, Stereo 70 amps. Rat Shack “Realistic” speakers. One set of KOSS ESP-6? Electrostat headphones. I remember the little neon light on those that lit up when you cranked it to danger levels. AIWA and TEAC tape decks. BASF tape. The schools all used Wollensack 3M tape machines - utilitarian and awful.

I got my Rectilinear III highboy speakers from an older grad student in engineering acoustics. We modified them with Philips-Norelco tweeters. He sold them to me to finance “BMF-1” an 8 cubic foot bass-reflex speaker he built for his theater organ. Used 2 Philips 12 inch woofers, 4 midrange, and I don’t know how many tweeters. In the Philips-Norelco design handbook.

2 Likes

Don’t want to get away from headphones too much. (Don’t want the post gods to condem me Torq, prfallon etc). One more flight of memory. I met a professor who had Bozak Concert Grands! The Wilson Audio of the 70’s. Sooo, long story short I found a pair of speakers with 3 12" woofer holes and 9(!) 3" tweeter holes, 2"mahogany tops and bottoms. Still have them from 1976. Just added 6 Planet Audio’s 12" woofers @ $35 each delivered and covered up the 3" holes. Reasonably flat to @ 25hz with Audessy from a marantz 5013. And comparing it to the Emotiva MC700. Ok, that’s it. No more non headphone memory lane. I promise.(did I mention the two 400 disc Blu-ray players and ifi nano idsd bl for MQA with Tidal and “Pirates of the Caribbean by Hans Zimmer Live in Prauge” as my favorite demo song?) :grin:

4 Likes

Now, that’s a name I haven’t heard in a long time. Seems about 40 years ago. Highly regarded speaker company.

Hi Scott don’t worry about me, I am but a lowly forum dweller and wield no powers whatsoever. Unlike Grandmaster Torq. :wink:

3 Likes

Sony Walkman - no WOW moments - yet fun. But I graduated to a Krell Int amp and a set of Grados - that was a WOW encounter …

Now I’m looking for something to plug into [probably] a Pass Labs HPA-1 - like a set of Sennheiser 800S. However, I may yet change amps …

Actually you, Torq and Pennstac are why I’m here. You are very kind. And after reading for a few years on and off Headfi. Torq got me jazzed to possibly think about “pulling the trigger” as a few say in reference to the Raal and Jotunhiem R combo. Ok, I confess to a kindred spirit with Pennstac, Carmantom and any fun person who’s had a few decades in the field and hasn’t lost the joy of the child in them. I don’t know you all but feel somehow at home. Just enjoying the moment. :yum: On a personal note could you welcome me like you do to so many? (Picture small embarrassed guy with pliantive look):roll_eyes:

7 Likes

So sorry Scott. I thought I had already done so. Hello and welcome @nooac. It’s great to have you here. Everyone on this forum is great to interact with. It’s always a fun place and above all everyone is always courteous and respectful. I find it a great place to learn from the more knowledgeable members. I learn something new everytime I log on.

4 Likes

Blessed by the Torq God!:yum: Just a little excited… Ok. Maybe more. Woohoo! Calming down.:smile::grin::laughing::sweat_smile::slight_smile: Ooomm… Calm. That’s me. Calm. Got to go to work. Small AV operate this week. Lots of fun! In Torq we trust!

3 Likes

Now blessed by the prfallon… Angel?:zipper_mouth_face:

3 Likes

Always courteous and respectful. Hey Scott, we welcome your ass to this forum.
Take that @prfallon69

7 Likes

Thank you kind sir. :hugs:

5 Likes

:clap:t4::clap:t4::clap:t4::rofl:

1 Like