What's in the box!

I can relate, as my B2 makes other IEMs sound wonky. Also, even though I couldn’t get it to fit well enough to keep, the SA6 is a sound I’ve never gotten out of my head, and I’m still expecting it whenever I put another IEM in.

I’m glad the Buds are starting to sound better to you. How’s the battery life been?

Battery life seems good so far. Long enough for it to not be an issue.

I’m wondering if the sound signature I was hearing before was a glitch. Put them in this morning and they actually sound pretty good.

They also seem comfortable enough to keep in for a good while, which is rare for me.

1 Like

Through sheer cosmic timing these LTD Verite Closed in Olive arrived exactly a week after my Focal Utopias. They were not meant to land on my doorstep on each other’s heels. As a result, I’m in no position to give a detailed set of first impressions of these lovely ZMFs, because it’s hard to make distinctions and assessments when your ears are going in several new directions at once.

I will say the VCs are gorgeous, they sound superb and really come to life on my ampsandsound Kenzie Ovation’s 100-Ohm tap (they were a little reserved at 32 Ohms). My wife compared the Aeolus (a fine whisky) to the VC (a bubbling champagne) to the Utopias (a party - OK, the metaphor became mixed, but I know what she means), and that’s good enough and inscrutable enough for now.

As for me, I’m going to spend a good long while thinking what I think about each of these. Should be fun.

29 Likes

After awhile in backorder my Yggy OG (A2) arrived. After I’ve had some more time I’ll post a comparison to BF2 (which will be moved to my living room stereo)

27 Likes

Sunday morning delivery

29 Likes

My step stool is busy these days.

It’s Nobody’s Fault but Mine, but I did not resist Drop’s $195 price on the HD-6XX.

Can anyone tell me if HD-6XX packaging has changed over the years? This hard-sided, hinged, foam-cutout box looks a lot like my non-Drop Sennheiser retail HD-600 box. It’s much better than my recent HD-58X box. I also thought these were colored “midnight blue” rather than matte black? I wonder if the recent Drop sales are meant to clear out old Massdrop branded items.

My HD-58X vs. HD-600 vs. HD-6XX comparisons will commence soon. So far the HD-6XX is indistinguishable from the HD-600 on some sources.

18 Likes

I bought my HD6XX back in 2017 when it was first coming out and they were still known as Massdrop. Packaging is identical to back then.

4 Likes

Same here, I couldn’t resist Drop’s deal, mine are on their way. I guess it doesn’t matter if they are an old batch right?

1 Like

My packaging is identical - purchased in 2018. Mine are actually midnight blue, though.

2 Likes

They are still calling this color midnight blue. Under a bright light they look “off-black gray-blue” and are more blue than not. The ear cup rings are slightly bluer than the headband.

1 Like

My packaging (2018 or 2019, can’t remember) is the same. Mine are blue but it was months before I realized they were blue, always looked black to me until I saw them in daylight.

1 Like

Yes, it’s quite subtle and more noticeable under overhead lighting. Most of the time it just looks black.

This box is a big plus for the 6XX. My Romanian HD600 did not come with it and I think not even the current HD650s are coming with this box. Only the HD660S.

Interestingly enough it is not even listed as a spare part in Sennheiser support website, or at least I couldn’t find it.

Enjoy.

1 Like

It’s surely nicer and more useful than the flimsy HD-58X box. My favorite factory cases are the compact travel models. The Focal Clear and Dan Clark AEON factory cases are about 1/2 the size and have rounded edges. They’d each cost at least $20 or $30 on the aftermarket.

I’ll try different pairings and see how it goes. With my RebelAmp, the 6XX husks up male voices, adds volume to bass guitars, and emphasizes lower-range drums relative to the HD-600 and Clear.

2 Likes

Speaking of the 6-XX. Got this recently for mine after purchasing a Shanling M6 Pro 21 with 4.4mm balanced output. KK Cable II-SO Replacement Audio Upgrade Cable. Very nice, soft, no microphonics, seems pretty transparent sound-wise. The cup connector pins have a nice click when you attach, no struggling with slightly larger pins that you might encounter with other aftermarket cables. It was around $45USD.

13 Likes

Yeah packing is the same. The mass part is kept new stuff is just drop. Color seems different then navy or midnight blue. I like it looks normal. Added a hart balance cable to them much better.

1 Like

Smeggy Thunderpants

T50RP custom maybe 10 years old. Pads are weird. But sounds good this is the clearest sounding T50RP.
Have modhouse argon 3 and use to have two ZMF units

6 Likes

I was lucky enough to jump on a mini-tour for the Kennerton Rognir organized by @AndyTheGreatest Thanks very much!

Also got myself a custom longer IEM cable from PlusSound for my WFH setup as most IEM cables were just a little too short when running off my desktop stack.

Once I get a little more familiar with these I’ll post some more detailed listening impressions over on the Kennerton thread, but the short summary is these are my favorite closed backs I’ve heard yet!

16 Likes

What were your previous favorite closed backs before the Kennerton?

1 Like

Aurorus Astralis was my previous favorite and I still use them from time to time before switching over to IEMs for most situations that require isolation. I’ve also previously owned the Ether CX and C Flow, and I’ll count the TH900 as closed despite the not so great isolation.

1 Like