What's in the box!

Good move on getting the Orion - it was a great and I came very close to buying a pair last week but held off as I’ve made a bunch of purchases recently. I’d be keen to read your impressions of them. They look great as well!

5 Likes

You wont be disappointed with the Aeolus. I have a set of Bubinga, and just ordered a second set in Zebrawood.

7 Likes

Why 2 sets? Just wanna collect?

2 Likes

Different woods, different look, and different pads. —Can bring a different result. Although in my case, the wood hardnesses are really close, so mostly pad changes to affect sound difference.

I was actually looking for an Auteur, but decided on getting another Aeolus. When I listened between the Aeolus and Auteur at CanJam LA 2019, I liked the Aeolus better. At least on that day I did.

Collecting? Presently: 4 Senn, 1 HiFiMan, 2 Focal, 2 ZMF, 3 Dan Clark Audio/Mr. Speakers, 2 Bose…
9 open, 3 closed, 2 bluetooth.

7 Likes

What are you using for an amp with the Aeolus?
I’m looking for a good pairing.

3 Likes

AmpsandSound Kenzie, AmpsandSound Kenzie Encore, Headamp GSX-mini

The Kenzies are tubed, single ended. The Headamp GSX-mini is solid state, and has 4-pin XLR and single ended 1/4". @earmuffs had a Kenzie for sale at a fair price with extra tubes if you want to go the tubed route. I have two of them.

I also have a Benchmark DAC3HGC, but I use it for a DAC. It’s a nice combo DAC/HA.

3 Likes

Kenzie sold already …

7 Likes

It’s been a while since I posted a “what’s in the box?”, mainly because all arrivals lately have been some form of budget IEM.

However, today’s arrival is a little bit more exciting…

18 Likes

That is going to be interesting; I wonder if they also soundwise is quite different, the design is for sure.

4 Likes

Can’t wait to hear your opinions

5 Likes

I didn’t think it would last until I could afford it @Earmuffs
Great news though

3 Likes

Glad the aeolus got there safely! Was hard selling my first ever pair of zmfs but upgraded to aeolus Cocobolo for a significant addition of money so i could not keep both. The sapele felt lighter and more comfortable so was a hard choice.

Now time to pack up the kenzie for a post apocalyptic zombie attack! Lol. This one is even harder to sell as the sound of this is magnificent! But I have too many amps added with too much debt! Gotta get my credit score out of the gutter again too haha!!

4 Likes

I’m with you! I would have loved the Kenzie, but you emptied out all my reserves for the Aeolus!
LOL, worth it though…

4 Likes

Nice!! I’ve been looking at this for a bit. First impressions? Never heard a burr-brown dac.

3 Likes

I haven’t really had time to play with it yet, just a couple of hours of Tidal through the DT1990 Pro. I’ll get some proper time in over the weekend (I hope).

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m definitely a tube guy. I have a Hagerman Tuba now, but am looking at upgrades after the holidays.

Currently looking at either a Feliks Audio Elise or a ZMF Pendant. Definitely would consider a Kenzie as well, especially with the price increase on the Pendant.
I like the flexibility of the pre-outs on the Elise with my current setup though.

3 Likes

Marcello is doing a livestream on Youtube later today on the Pendant vs. Elise 7 PM PST. His chancel is Marcello Rostagni. :grin:

6 Likes

Thanks I know, and hope to attend, unfortunately it’s at 4pm est (I live in Connecticut) so cutting it close to end of work day on a Friday.

3 Likes

(Kenzie) Encore has pre-outs. Two inputs (RCA pairs) and a single set of pre-outs. I don’t use them, but the Encore is equipped with them. No rectifier tube on the Kenzie/Encore either. Just a single input tube and dual output tubes. I bought the second Kenzie HA in part to keep the tubes uniform for spares. The ZMF pendant also gets great reviews. Amps and Sounds makes the ZMF Pendant as well. Justin Weber (ampsandsound makes great stuff). You might look to Underwood HiFi and see if he (Walter) has any deals going. He is an Ampsandsounds dealer.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info and advice @rrwwss52
I will do just that.

4 Likes