What's in the box!

And you might have to buy a Schiit Loki so you can turn a knob and find you actually like the headphones you spent your money on.

3 Likes

This came from Germany today.

19 Likes

That T&A HA200 is one I have my eye on! Let us know how you like it!!!

2 Likes

@BondDaBoom , you get the most beautiful equipment… seemingly on a weekly basis! As I’ve said before, my dream job is to be your mail man, because that’s as close as I’ll ever get to most of this stuff.

How long do you generally hold onto something before you move on? Or do you keep it all in a big audio warehouse?

9 Likes

This is my last year. I found my end game headphones and amps. I’m pretty close on DACs. Have a May on order. Thought sell all my DACs and Reference Milo and get the Bartok.

9 Likes

Lovely record in today

8 Likes

Do tell :thinking: I would love to know what that is if you don’t mind sharing.

3 Likes

I’ve heard that unit at my dealer in Jacksonville, its outstanding. But a little outside of my pension check. Enjoy !

Figured I’d want a couple tubes as backups so I threw a dart on the dart board and landed on these guys

11 Likes

GZ34 buddies! They sound amazing, right?

11 Likes

Wonder if @Earmuffs has the mullard metal base, probably a slightly different sound but still should be great. Metal base 5ar4s are a good get. Mullard UK made ones are highly prized.

I got non metal base (early 60’s) Mullard and Amperex 5ar4 and they’re phenomenal so I wonder about the metal ones.

2 Likes

In sound quality and price I don’t know if there is much difference between the Mullard and Phillips metal bases. Never heard them side by side but would think they are very similar due to the same circuitry and parts but different manufacturing plant. I see them both at the same prices too. I don’t know which one I got(I got 2 but one needs a hopefully quick fix as it works but one of the pins needs a resolder)

@andris So far so good on the NOS working one. I got them for a great price too as Brent Jesse is selling for $850 for the Phillips and Mullards! Once I get done more time with it I’ll let you know how much better it’s is compared to my others. This rectifier works in both my amps and with my upcoming amp from DNA so I am really hoping the second metal base gets fixed up!

2 Likes

I also have a non metal RCA GZ34 fat boy I’ll compare these to. Also a GEC U52 which has been my most coveted tube up until now.

2 Likes

Its always a bit tough to sort out differences between plants and manufacturers given the incestuous nature of old timey tube production. My Mullard is UK (Blackburn) and Amperex is Holland (Brussels). They sound different enough to my ear that I can roll them knowing what I will get. Rectifiers matter if you got an amp sensitive enough, or maybe simple enough circuit and component wise, to pick up on it.

They both absolutely crush (as much as can be said for things in the audiophile game) the new production 5ar4 I have.

1 Like

What a coincidence! You must have bought them after I talked to him (Brent Jesse). I was considering those, but TubeWorldExpress had a matched pair in pristine condition (not true NOS, but both testing incredibly strong), so I pulled the trigger on those at $500 ea. Just a bit easier to swallow than the $850, esp since at that price, you’re basically at Takatsuki 274B’s.

What did you order from DNA? I’m considering an end-game tube amp in the next year or so, and DNA is on the list.

2 Likes

Go blue or go home! Just get it after I have all the good tubes locked away in my @ProfFalkin level tube storage device. Kidding, sort of…

I m only talking about both the metal bases as I’ve read about how they are very similar to each other. But yea, I’ve never compared both so don’t know if I’d hear a difference or not.

I am waiting on a call back from Brent so I’ll make sure to ask him what the differences are.

I bought this off a guy online when I was I’d like to say, fishing for tubes :joy:
Everybody fishes differently, some have patience and others do not :joy:.

3 Likes

This showed up today
Looking at you @taronlissimore and @Lothar_Wolf

Got my RS1e’s on. This puppy really makes them sing!
Really need to talk to @ProfFalkin about picking out a proper chair… :thinking:

22 Likes

I have owned the Beyer DT880, 250 ohm edition for many years. I found they paired well with the Cavalli Tube Hybrid or the SW51+ for more affordable options. I personally preferred tubes vs solid state with the Beyers. For reference I previously tried the Beyers with an Asgard 2, FET-A, and Liquid Carbon. I hope this helps and enjoy the journey.

2 Likes

So the HA-200 sounds really good. I would say it’s super energetic.

Made the VU meters purple you can make them almost any color

15 Likes