They were busy recovering from the dregs of an old open bottle. I’m just now getting to the Wray & Nephew (63% overproof white rum).
Impressions as I take my first sips:
- Strong on the nose. Piercing the nostrils. Scent reminiscent of plants and vegetables crossed with intense cleaning fluid. This could be the rum version of Patron white tequila (agave plant scent) or Hendrick’s gin (cucumber scent).
- Initial taste in the mouth is rather flavorful and rounded. It’s not harsh at first. Again, plants and vegetables – a distinct rum flavor develops.
- After the swallow and fresh air. WOWOWOW! This stuff is strong. Those nearby may become intoxicated from the vapors. It burns, fills the mouth, and creeps up into the nose.
- One cough or sneeze mandatory.
- Subsequent sips seem milder, as my mouth is now fully pickled.
This has more rum flavor than I imagined. Bacardi 151 has a one-note flavor and is purely aggressive (as I recall from years ago). I’ll try mixing with fruit juice next, but it’s drinkable as a shot. The flavor is more premium than the price suggests (~$20 per bottle), probably because it’s not heavily marketed by an international liquor conglomerate.