What's in the box!

Nice! I emailed Donald earlier this week. I’m third in line, he expects my Stellaris to be on the bench in February. That’s fully a year and a half wait, at least.

5 Likes

That’s a crazy wait time

1 Like

I had to go to the office yesterday. Got home and found my Utopia cable stretched across the floor. Realized I’m going to have to amend my storage configuration. :person_facepalming:

1 Like

Yeah, I’m trying to be patient - I know Donald can’t help the supply chain and shipping issues that plague the world today. Still, it’s worth noting the long wait time for anyone still thinking of ordering now. And I can only assume the wait time for new orders NOW would be even longer.

1 Like

Based on what? It could also be the opposite depending on how he manages his supply orders etc

Sure. It probably got cheaper too. :wink: lol

I decided it was time to see what all the planar IEM fuss is about. First impression: impressively balanced & detailed for $200

10 Likes

Best Waifu ever! :slight_smile:

1 Like

It pales in comparison to my Legend EVO, but I didn’t expect it to compete at that level. I was mostly just curious what a planar magnetic IEM sounds like, and secondarily I sort of wanted something a bit more “neutral”. I need more time to listen and consider, but my initial feeling is this competes with “tribrid” IEMs at the $500-$1k level easily.

2 Likes

The waiting list for a DNA headphone amplifier is now longer than a year. I ordered my DNA Starlett in January of 2022 and was supposed to receive it in November of 2022 (a 10 month wait). I recently spoke to Donald North (1/06/2023) and he said that the delivery of my Starlett has now been pushed back to July of 2023 (18 months after I ordered it). Much of the delay has to do with parts shortages due to Covid. Donald builds world class headphone amplifiers, but, the wait for one can be quite long. Especially since Covid became a problem.

1 Like

I’ve spoken to him yesterday and he quoted 12-15 months wait. Can’t say anything to how accurate or not that information is, but it’s probably the most up to date conversation he had about it.

2 Likes

My experience is the quotes are pretty much spot on from an how much time it takes him to build them and the current backlog, but parts availability is unpredictable, and going to impact any quote he gives you.
Existing backlogged orders could easily be taking 18 months, and future waits could still be close to 12 months.

The wait is what it is, it’s long enough, you just forget about it, the worst part about it is that if you are still climbing the price point ladder at the point you order one there is a good chance you’ve committed to higher end gear at the point you finally get delivery.
My only regret when I bought my Stratus (wait was only 5 months at that point), was that I didn’t just buy a Stellaris, because by the time the Stratus was delivered I was looking at higher tier options.
Still I loved my Stratus for the time I owned it.

8 Likes

Super cute pup! Have you tried tube rolling yet?

It was 4 months when I got mine in 2020. Glad I got in ahead of the crush. Well worth the extended wait, though … Hang in there!

5 Likes

How I wish that things could revert back to pre covid times. I’ve been itching for a Stellaris lately but the wait times are just painful. But know that the Starlett is one fine amp and an easy and relatively good value end game amp. For Focals and Senns, I’ve yet to find amps that outright best the Starlett. Here’s hoping you get it sooner rather than later.

2 Likes

4 months wait for any of Donald’s headphone amplifiers would be great. I have a feeling those days are gone for good though. His amplifiers are outstanding products and IMHO well worth the wait. And then there’s that smurf blue color. Who could resist?! :smile:

I agree. It’s already been a year, so the wait is 2/3rds over. Might as well just forget about it for the time being since July will be here before we know it.

Thanks Boardman.

Donald sent me a Starlett to demo for a month back in late 2021. It’s the best sounding headphone amplifier I have ever heard with my HD600 and HD6XX, and IMHO a bargain for $2000. I was not ready to order one at the time but told Donald that I would be purchasing one in 2022. I placed my order in January of 2022. I agree about going back to the days before Covid. Too bad we can’t.

2 Likes

Any guesses?

3 Likes

Seems way too vague. I need a hint at least. Lol

It looks like a sonnet DAC but those aren’t made in the US…