What's in the box!

That’s a special order option only… :laughing:

1 Like

I placed the order on the 11th, got a tracking number on the 13th, and it arrived on the 21st.

No duties.

1 Like

Thanks for all that, good to know.

Looking back I also actually placed my order on the 11th… Boo. I hope it ships early this week :+1:
I emailed Vitalii earlier today, and he said it should leave Poland in the next few days and not to worry.

I’m not in a position to evaluate it critically. I purchased it as my last solid-state HP amp, and as such I wanted something that would drive any planar magnetic or dynamic driver headphones I might ever have. The audio chain at the moment is, uh, interesting. I’m using it at my work desk with a couple of low-end USB DACs (Schiit Modi 3+ and Emotive Big Ego+). Headphones are Senn/Drop HD6XX.

That said, even with the el-cheapo DACs and headphones that cost less than 20% of the amp price, the difference between the Flux and the previous JDS Labs EL Amp II is noticeable (and the JDS is not a bad amp at all). Instruments are more clearly delineated (more sense of space), bass is tighter and deeper, and everything seems to have more “flesh on the bones.” I’m listening to the Reiner / Chicago “Schéhérazade” as I write. I know the recording pretty well, and it now sounds good enough to distract me from writing and just sit back and listen.

It’s weird but the 6XX sound different enough that I’m considering tweaking the EQ settings.

Operationally, I’ve had it on medium gain for several hours and it’s only warm to the touch. Warmer where the vents are, of course, but nowhere near what I would call “hot.” You probably already expect this, but you can hear the relays click when you adjust the volume though the knob has no detents and you don’t feel it.

Hope you get yours soon.

4 Likes

Unobtainum has arrived. Exploring estats is one of my goals for 2023. You can imagine how happy I was when this showed up on head-fi. Now to find myself some headphones…

19 Likes

Nice pick-up; that’s a very rare unit in that condition now that it’s not in production.

1 Like

Ferrum Hypsos in the house!

Love that this thing has adjustable voltage and tons of power, so will try it both on my Roon server and M-Scaler to see if and how much improvement there is.

16 Likes

Initial impressions here.

TL;DR

There is definitely a noticeable change in sound signature, but it’s not all positive in my system. I feel it trades a (very slightly) wider stage with better focus for a (less slightly) increased noise floor. That’s not a tradeoff that I want to make, but it may be right for others.

4 Likes

I guess the power supply works best with with the Oor Amp from Hypsos?
Otherwise. Your initial impressions are surprising, but maybe things will sound different after some break in.

I read several reviews of people doing direct comparisons of the Hypsos with various linear power supplies, and saying the Hypsos is meaningfully better, so I don’t think it’s just an OOR thing. These things can be system dependent, and I also think it’s possible most systems may not have had as much noise floor “work” done on them, or the users may not notice as much. Other than noise floor, several aspects of the sound signature do improve. I’ve just been super vigilant about dropping the noise floor, and I pretty much don’t keep a component unless it drops (or at least maintains) noise floor on top of other benefits.

1 Like

Well noted my friend.
Both of us being tube amp lovers the noise floor is an important sound aspect to control.
I guess the Hypsos will be leaving you soon?

Probably. I may keep it until CanJam and have a chat w/ the Ferrum folks, but I’ve gone back and forth many times, trying minor tweaks along the way (e.g. power cords), but the net result has been clear and consistent.

I see. Well, you are doing the right thing by doing the right due diligence and being patient.
We’ll see what the Break-in time might hold. I hope it works into your overall favorite preferences. I know with a desktop setup we audiophiles can be pretty rigid. After all it is supposed to be our top of the totem poll referenced gear. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Don’t think it’s break-in. It’s a used unit, so unless the prior owner barely touched it, it’s probably nice and toasty. Good that it’s used, though, as that hopefully means I won’t lose much on it.

2 Likes

You’ve already seen the box, but this one is mine:

A note here for @pennstac, this one is a special edition that is fully compatible with the 1.21 GW output of all versions of Mr Fusion! :laughing:

16 Likes

Keep me posted, buddy. Curious of course.

Did this ever happen?

I don’t think so. Are you volunteering to create it?

Got the Sony Walkman Rev 2. It’s from used market so not mint but in good condition

10 Likes

Since I live locally, I was able to pick this Redheart Caldera up.

It actually looks more gorgeous in real life. Having already borrowed a Caldera a while ago, I already knew it hit all my preferences, so it was just a matter of waiting for a wood that I would fall in love with. I was after something bold, and with this redheart, I couldn’t ask for more.

42 Likes