When modest setups sound great (moving from rig to rig)

Do you ever have one of those days when a modest rig sounds just fabulous?

I am working remotely right now and have been bringing my HD600s and a Fulla3 with me. For whatever reason, when I put them on today everything sounds really amazing…like shockingly good. Space, imaging, tonality, fun. Super fun - and from Spotify to boot.

On other days, when I listen to this combo, it sounds pretty good but not like today.

The only thing I can think of is that yesterday I forgot my stuff and was stuck with a full day of listening to a shitty pair of “Edit Suite” HD477s out of the 1/8" monitor jack.

I wonder if moving from rig to rig leaves a memorable acoustic impression that my brain expects the next time headphones go on.

I will test my theory this evening when I go back to my studio and listen to my RME>EAR+ HD> HD650Ms.

4 Likes

Another explanation: your mood. :wink:

That’s a very cool rig nonetheless.

3 Likes

Definitely a good mood day :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great setup anyway. But I do think that lots of factors can come into play. From mood, feeling physically well, well rested, heck even the alignment of the stars if you believe that sort of stuff.

Some days music just sounds better. :slightly_smiling_face:. Glad your enjoying your music regardless.

4 Likes

I had a 600 a while back, was listening via a magni 3. About an hour in to listening to them, essentially as background while I was doing some work, all of a sudden it was like something switched on. To put a visual explanation to it it was a like a golden light was being shone down on me. The music felt alive, the instruments feeling like they reached a harmony they had never achieved before.

Not sure if it was the recording, the magni 3 reaching some sort of optimal warm up, psychoacoustics or what, but it was awesome.

6 Likes

Yah, it was a golden light kind of day with the 600s today. I made it back to the studio eventually and listened to the RME>Ear+ HD>650M combo. It’s big sounding - spacious and gorgeous as I might expect - oh way more spacial cues and beauty reverb decay. It is technically a better listen - there is more there and it’s better balanced. Somehow, though, it’s not as magic as the experience today. I’ll try the 600s in here later tonight and see what the what is…if there was a what to see.

I notice that quite often. My mood and ancient ears are partly to blame, but I believe air density, humidity, temperature, AC power grid issues, RF noise, and other environmental issues are at play here. There are days when the Utopia are below HD-650 and even 1990s for the choice for the day. Go figure!! Utopia are no good for hiding faulty sources.

Mostly use Roon or Spotify through Lyr3 (6SN7 Bad Boy), Bifrost 2 combo, or THX 789, Topping D-70 bedside. Windows 10 PC Roon core, flac and DSF files.

3 Likes

There is a thread here about 95% solutions. Inspired by my similar feelings.

5 Likes

Well no conclusive results. Today was just a great listening day.

I’m going back and forth between the 600s, 650Ms, the RME>ear + with a nice Brimar Yellow T, and the RME>THX 887. I am recognize this will probably change tomorrow, but tonight, the 650Ms with the THX are rocking. I hear what the tubes are doing - space and yummy attacks and fat bass…but the THX with the 650s is where it is at right now. I guess it’s good to have options to catch the magic.

3 Likes

There is a thread here about 95% solutions.

I will try to dig that up. I’m super curious about this.

2 Likes

This combo man… I want to finish burn in with my Psvane Mk.2 and I can’t get myself to switch the tube. Sylvania Bad Boy is so freakin addicting…

2 Likes

My first “real” setup was an Atom, topping d10 that I plugged into a pair of HD6XX’s. That was fantastic sound for less than $400 new

7 Likes

I still have that on my desk at home and love it (with the Dt1990 Pro), although the Atom will be moving to the office when I (finally) receive the Schiit stuff.

The D10 will be staying though, it’s great as an optical out from the PC and feeds various receivers around the house (and I will probably use it to feed the Modi also).

4 Likes

I’ve had a somewhat similar experience of being underwhelmed by the hd600 when i had it. I had it plugged into a audio-gd nfb11 and a marantz cd6006. I think the hd600 does the intimate vocals really really well but, aside from that, you can’t expect anything much from it. I really liked it in the beginning but decided to part with it. I think I still preferred the sound presentation of my older HD558. I know the 600 is technically superior but I like what I like I guess.

I know opinions and preferences differ, and I hate to sound like an audiophile snob, but I read that and thought “Yeah, my Lamborghini performs like crap on 81 octane gas and Toyota Camry tires too”.

7 Likes

@asanjuan2003 the HD600, HD650/6XX really are a bit more amp picky than most headphones, @ProfFalkin aka the Professor’s point is extremely valid as a sports car requires the right fuel, tuning, exhaust, tires, etc the 300ohm Sennheiser’s in the 6 and 8 series reach their proper potential with the right synergistic OTL Amps, Hybrid Tube amps, or some of the more powerful high performing amps. For example, the BottleHead Crack with Speedball is not a hugely expensive investment as far as amps go if you can do some DIY, and this amp from what I have read, been educated on from amazingly talented audio experts like the professor and many others here and accross YouTube really scales up the sound for the 6 and 8 series headphones.

My father in-law and I are starting a first time build as soon as possible as it will take both our 6XX’s to a whole new level! :musical_score::headphones::boom::firecracker::fire:

7 Likes

lol:) i’ve never thought i’d hear someone compare a HD600 to a lambo but i c ur point! I’ve been thinking of revisiting the hd600 now that I have a different amp and a record player. the new design looks easier on the eyes.

5 Likes

I actually find this to be very accurate to the way I feel about my 6XX’s and my SMSLSP200 THX amp. I prefer the 6XX’s on the LYR3/Bifrost 2 combo but of all my headphones I own probably still one of the more enjoyable pairings for my THX amp is the 6XX and at a modest price.

4 Likes

It’s funny when I look back to all the headphones I bought and sold. I sometimes wish I kept all of them:)) coz now I’m wondering how they would sound in my new setup.

3 Likes

I think you really hit the nail on the head with this portion of your thoughts. @Resolve did a great review on why owning multiple headphones is beneficial.

I know I am constantly switching between headphones and amps after a few days on one or sometimes even a few hours just give my brain :brain: a :zap:Jolt to a different sound chasing the exact feeling you described.

5 Likes