Woo Audio WA33 Elite with JPS Alumiloy internal wiring

I’m super pleased to introduce my latest, and potentially final, acquisition. It is the first and the only (as of this moment) of its kind, a Woo Audio WA33 Elite with JPS Labs Alumiloy internal wiring. I’m sure now that this exists, more people would ask Jack Wu, whom I consider a very good friend, for the same thing. And to me, every dollar I paid for this beautiful beast here is absolutely worth it. Which lead me to the disclaimer: this is not a review unit, or one given in exchange for honest opinion. I paid for it with my own money and I don’t have any skin in the game :slight_smile:

The idea first occurred to me the first time I saw that Abyss Headphones (which is part of JPS Labs, which produces high end cables and power cords) sells their own version of my beloved WA33 Standard Edition, but priced differently because they asked Jack to build with all JPS-Alumiloy internal wiring. According to Joe from Abyss, the Alumiloy wiring makes everything sound smoother.

So the curious me asked Jack, half jokingly, if an Ultimate WA33, an Elite Edition with Alumiloy can be build. Jack said yes and told me in which additional way such an edition would sound different from a Standard Edition. I resisted it for a while … but eventually my wallet cried a stream of green blood. Ka-ching-ching-ching-ching.

IMG_0833

As I mentioned above, I used to own a WA33 Standard Edition, and though this may sound conceited and may just be my personal preference, I’ve not heard anything that sounds better than my Abyss Diana Phi on the WA33 SE. My new EE essentially told me “Hold my tubes!” If you want to know what it is that the regular EE has that the SE doesn’t, you should head over to wooaudio.com and find out :blush:

My setup is relatively simple. My Sony HAP-ZH1ES is my transport, which feeds my WA33 EE JPS through balanced XLR JPS interconnects, and a PS Audio P5 Powerplant feeds both with regenerated power. I don’t stream music, being a believer in off-line files only :wink: I have the Takatsuki 274B rectifier tubes, PSVANE 2A3 power tubes, and 6C45Pi ElectroHarmonix driver tubes. These tubes were also what I used with my old Standard Edition.

The moment I plugged my Diana Phi into the amp, I was just struck by how absolute a control the amp has over the music. Everything that flows out of the headphones was graceful, effortless, and natural. I’m a J-Pop junkie, so I don’t think many are familiar with the music I listen to, but damn, any doubt I had about spending upwards of 10 grands vanished as soon as I heard the music.

The WA33 SE I had was very good, no doubt about it. It was just that the EE is so much better. My WA33 EE is a tube amp throug and through but it doesn’t sound like a tube amp at all in the sense that people likely think. The EE is not artificially lush and overly warm. The EE is like a solid state amp with abundant power and slam but without a cold and sharp edge at the top. It is transparent … and it sounds correct.

The bass of the EE is clean, deep, precise, and textured. One of the rare English songs I listened to was the “Song of Durin” by Clamavi de Profundis, which is rich with deep baritone and as I listened, I thought I could hear distinctly every rumble of the singers’ voices as they delved lower, and lower, and even lower still.

The mids of the EE are full-bodied and, dare I say, mellifluous. I wonder if you, like me, had wondered about the difference of something sounding digital versus analog. To me, sounding digital means that I hear the artificial “edge” of each musical note. There is no edge with EE. One piano note melts into the next, and the next, and the next. To me, the EE doesn’t just sound analog. It sounds real. There is no hiss. There is no hum. There is nothing alien that I heard from my music. The background is dead quiet despite, again, this being a tube amp!

The EE’s trebles are magnificent. It can reach so high yet never sounds harsh. I don’t know if you are familiar with the sound of an orgel, but when I heard orgel music from the Diana Phi, I thought about how the notes keep extending upward and eventually just melt naturally away instead of rolling off.

The image presented by the EE is holographic, and the soundstage huge. But what’s most impressive is the depth of the stage. It is so deep I felt as though I could tell which instrument was further away and which one is closer. There is so much air around each instrument, all of them materialized precisely enough in my mind that I could “feel” where they are: front, back, left, right, etc. The female vocal, which is 90% of my music, sounds gorgeous from the EE and so well defined that I could easily picture the singer standing at the front of the stage, with the instruments behind her back.

I won’t pretend as though I noticed any “cons” to the amp. Cost, to me, was not a problem, and I felt that it was worth every dollar I paid. There is yet no weakness that I had perceived. Perhaps there are, and I may find them in the future. Right now, there is none.

I like to begin the end of my length impression (it’s not even a review, as I don’t feel that I am an adequate reviewer) by quoting a real one: “Nobody has to have one of these”. But if you have the money to spare, I would say you should take the jump and purchase one. I’m 100% sure you will love it as much as I do.

This will be the final headphones amp that I would purchase … until Jack Wu came up with something better. Which I think would be really, really, really hard.

PS: I’ve been trying to get Jack to come to Seattle to meet local audiophiles. You can see more details in the Seattle interest check thread. If this does happen, I will bring my WA33 EE with me so that you can hear it with your own ears. Until then :blush:

PS2: A bit more disclaimer here. I’ve known Jack since meeting him at RMAF 2017 and have always thought of him as a friend. I’m sure there are parts of me that are biased, but I tried my best not to be :blush:

17 Likes

Beautiful piece of art.

2 Likes

I just got the standard edition and love it very much. Running Hugo TT2 WA33 and 1266 phi tc. The XI Audio Formula S sounds really really good for ss but to me the wa33 sounds better. At 8k it should.

3 Likes

My little setup
Standard WA33

7 Likes

Very nice!.. :+1:t4:

1 Like

@BondDaBoom what’s that white plug on your TT2? :o

1 Like

I forgot the name but it’s from ifi suppose to clean usb signal.

2 Likes

Nope. I don’t like you setup at all. Lol. It’s one sweet setup. Very nice collection of gear. It must sound really nice with whatever you listen to. It certainly has a TOTL easy on the eye look. Congratulations.

5 Likes

The backside of your amp is prettier than the front side of any of my gear!!

7 Likes

Is so beautiful… I want to cry.

2 Likes

Just my thought… those cables are pure dope!

2 Likes

I just purchased 300 that is compatible with WA33. The owner of Tubesusa spoke to Jack Woo and confirmed with him. It is a 5 volt version of 2A3 tube. Made by EML. 300 B 2 5v.

1 Like

George at TubesUSA is awesome to deal with.

I figured it was not the best idea to keep shipping my original/NOS WE300B and 274s, nor my monoplate 2A3s around from country to country. Even the Takatsuki 300B/274B was a bit of an iffy proposition.

The EML 274B and 2A3 (both in mesh form) seemed like the best alternatives in terms of sound and resiliency. So that’s what I did there … and George had them shipped within, I think, an hour of me formalizing the order. They arrived early. And they sounded great right from the box … with no pings, tings, nor any electronic spuriae … which is probably a first from any tube I’ve ever come across.

Very impressed.

4 Likes

Hey Torq I was talking to George about tube life and was told 10,000 hours on EML. I was wondering how long is the Takatsuki 274B good for? How much time in years did you get out of your tubes?

I listen between 3 and 4 hours a day.

2 Likes

I’m still on my first set of Takatsuki 274B and 300B. I originally bought them for my WA5-LE, so at least four, maybe five, years ago now. They tend to be my default tube for listening, so they probably get 4 hours a day on average. Still measure strong. I’d expect they’d last at least another 4-5 years.

The original NOS WE300B had a design life of 40,000 hours … since they were developed to run undersea voice telecoms lines, where access was limited and longevity was a major factor. That’d be a bit shy of 20 years of listening for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

3 Likes

So because they last long they need to charge a lot. I’VE been dreaming of tubes lately.

I concur that George Lenz is awesome to deal with.

Great news about the longevity of the TK274B.

I wonder how the EML300B25 with a 2.5V Heater Voltage designed to be run specifically on 2A3 amps is going to perform on the WA33. Apparently that’s the only characteristic that they share with the 2A3 tubes and for all other parameters they refer to the 300B-mesh. @Torq I would like to know your thoughts on the possibility for any long-term negative impact degrading an amp like the WA33 running 300B tubes (with 2.5V heater voltage and all other typical 300B specs) on a 2A3 amp.

2 Likes

Well I wonder how long the internals will last as the amp cooks.

Assuming a 300B with 2.5V heater doesn’t draw more current than a 2A3 (which is entirely down to the resistance of the heater filament) there should be no impact at all on the longevity or reliability of the amplifier driving it.

And, even if it did draw more current, as long as it was within the design specifications of the amplifier in question, there should still be no impact.

But the best people to ask are Mike and Jack at Woo.

For me, my desire to have the “best of both worlds”, without having to fiddle with oddity-tubes, was a big part of what drove me to go with the WA234 MK II Mono, vs. a DNA Stellaris Silver and then fucking about with low-voltage 300Bs.

3 Likes

Thanks for the insights. I’ll print the datasheets for both EML’s 2A3 and 300B Mesh tubes and compare every single parameter before taking the plunge on the 300B25.

That’s simply one of, if not the best headphone tube amp in existence today imo. I indulge in your magnificently huge black boxes with silver lines every time you post them here. I also like the versatility it provides, one can tune it to his/her liking with lots of tube rolling options, using the best tubes available today without having to deal with the tube specs BS you mentioned.

3 Likes