ZMF Aeolus - Open-Back Dynamic Headphone - Official Thread

Love those!!! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::loud_sound::loud_sound::loud_sound::headphones::headphones::headphones:

3 Likes

Australia finally has a small ZMF dealer. And he happens to be in my city! Does it in his spare time

Going to try an Aeolus next week! Goal is to fall in love so much that I would sell the Verite, and spend the $1500-2000 difference on hookers and blow. I mean other Hi-Fi products

8 Likes

Lol :joy: I don’t even know what to say to this!

3 Likes

Thank you so much @prfallon69 !

3 Likes

absolutely stunning headphones. Enjoy.

2 Likes

Thanks Paul, really appriciated :+1:

3 Likes

Received my Camphor Burl Aeolus today; here are some quick pictures

Higher quality ones to follow eventually. My Universe perf. Suede pads are on their way as well.

22 Likes

OH, those look good.

Congrats

5 Likes

Really great looking set of headphones. These ooze quality. Enjoy.

4 Likes

Alright

Heard the Aeolus yesterday for the first time.

Really enjoyed them. Obviously a technical step back from the Verite, but I think same level of enjoyment.

EDIT: Expand on it a bit.

So it was out of a Hugo/TT setup, which I personally didn’t feel complimented the ZMF sound too well, maybe a M-Scaler in there might help, maybe I’m just not into the Chord sound.

Verite had the Universe Leather Perforated.

Aeolus I only wanted to hear with the Universe Suede Perforated.

The guy (Australian ZMF dealer…finally!) didn’t have a set of the full suedes (just the hybrids), so he got to try them on too. I mentioned that the full suede pads you can keep your glasses on, no wories. But even the leather side wall on the hybrids, that extra stiffness, didn’t do as good a job, especially thicker frames.

Its a important aspect for me, to be able to have no issues with glasses on. I dont want to take them off (can’t see), don’t want to tilt them up (distorts the vision too much).

Whilst the Verite had that slight extra clarity and treble magic, the Aeolus held its own. It had a fuller low end which was nice, and a pleasing mid-range for sure. Real shame the Burl isn’t being made at the moment, favourite wood on the Aeolus to date.

8 Likes

The Aeolus is still my go to recommendation for most people, and I love my VCs and VO :wink:

I agree with your statements here… the Aeolus isn’t as “good” technically but as a pure enjoyment headphone it stands by itself easily =)

8 Likes

Very nice! Those cups came out amazing. Enjoy my friend!

3 Likes

Exactly.

To the point where you think “if I didn’t have the Verite around too, would your headphone enjoyment decrease?”. In which case, if it’s just as enjoyable, and similar in many ways, you’d only keep both if you can afford to easily

4 Likes

I have a pair of Aeolus Bubinga that I purchased at the ZMF November 2019. They were new overstocks. Really beautiful headphones. Would another flavor of wood provide a considerably different signature? I may buy another pair of Aeolus in November, or maybe an Auteur to add to the collection.

3 Likes

According to Zach, you should choose wood after your esthetic desire and what looks good. The different woods only have a very minute impact on the sound, so most people can’t tell them apart.

9 Likes

I would go with a different set of headphones for a change of sound signature =) Wood while it does have sonic differences, is very minimal in change. Here is straight from @zach915m ZMF page on wood and what it does:

https://www.zmfheadphones.com/wood/

7 Likes

The base technical capabilities wont change with wood type; however, there can be audible differences based on multiple reports but they are going to be slight and may be audio chain dependent.

Pick a can based on its inherent sound signature and then, if you want, go and chase a wood type for aesthetics. There are people who have gone through various pairs of the same ZMF chasing a sound tweak but I think thats madness myself. We all have our windmills we want to tilt though.

Go after an Auteur or even a Verite if you really want to add to your can selection. The VC/VO with Aeolus combo seems to be exceedingly popular but the V’s are another level of expense over the Auteur.

5 Likes

Do you find the Aelous is more forgiving of poor recordings and less needing of higher level gear? That would make its worth as a headphone great in and of itself.

I think that’s the ‘secret’ of the Aeolus. It’s detailed just enough, like a scaled up Porta Pro (that’s not a jab, but a compliment).

4 Likes

As others have said, wood won’t have much impact (I’m not speaking from experience with this product). However, the general principles are known.

The primary sound source is the drivers in conjunction with an open versus closed design, followed by the pads/head fit, and finally the resonances and reflections from the physical structure. Wood is just one component of the physical structure, and many woods have similar hardness and/or resonance characteristics. Also, different samples from the same type of tree vary.

4 Likes