ZMF Aeolus - Open-Back Dynamic Headphone - Official Thread

Here are my ZMF Aeolus in Sapele. I have owned them for a year and absolutely love them.

15 Likes

Which pads do you use? Looks like the stock pads on your picture !

3 Likes

I occasionally swap between Universe suade and stock Aeolus pads. In the photo are the Universe Suede.

3 Likes

Very nice photo, you got skills sir :+1: :sunglasses:

5 Likes

@Gordon_Freeman thank you so much. Photography is one of my hobby. I will try to take more photos :wink:

3 Likes

Are these the Blackwood?

1 Like

I’ve come to the conclusion the Aeolus is my next headphone to compliment the Atticus. Waiting for camphor burl to come again before springing on the purchase. Very likely I will be walking out with one at CanJam if I spot it. Someone bought one of Zach’s headphones on the spot at last year’s show taking home a beautiful Aeolus in Bubinga wood with silver grills.

5 Likes

Nice pic Vincent! I noticed the Elegia in the background. Would you kindly share your thoughts on how they compare to the Aeolus?

4 Likes

Also interested in thoughts between these two cans.

2 Likes

Yes they are African Blackwood. IRL a tad brighter than the picture, but dark.

2 Likes

Stunning photograph. Zach makes beautiful headphones.

4 Likes

I have only owned the Elegia for a week, here are some thoughts:
The Elegia can be a good compliment to the Aeolus

• Comfort: Aeolus is super comfortable for hours, Elegia is harder to position on your head, but if you get it to fit, it is also very comfortable
  • Bass: Aeolus is slow but full, Elegia is fast and lean
  • Mid: Aeolus is natural, sweet, engaging and addictive, Elegia is neutral, not as natural as Aeolus
  • Treble: Aeolus is kinda dark, resolution is okay-ish, Elegia is super detailed, high resolution, instrument separation on Elegia is superior to Aeolus
  • Soundstage: Aeolus’ stage is a bit larger than Elegia (open vs closed, so no surprise here), but Elegia’s stage is still very good for a closed-back
  • Imagine: Elegia is no doubt the winner in this category
  • Overall: The Aeolus is slower, but has a very natural tuning, engaging sound while the Elegia is more clinical, with lots of details and precise imaging. Because of that, Aeolus is more forgiving and can be a good all-round pair of headphones while the Elegia tends to reveal the flaws in records and less forgiving.
    I love them both :smile:
12 Likes

Well said! I can agree with the majority of this sentiment! With pass rolling on the Aeoulus you can inch it closer to different aspects, but overall it is as you describe… I push it as one of the best all a round headphones out right now!

5 Likes

Yup, I usually swapped between Stock and Uni. Perf. Suede. I will try Verite pads on them soon.
Anyway, I really like your talk with Zach and Bevin. They are so chill and down on earth. I also really like your headphones/gear collection, and photos!

4 Likes

Thank you! Your photos are! We share some of the same gear :wink: the Aeoulus and Elegia are two of my all time favorites:)

3 Likes

Thank you! Let me confess, your gears inspired me. Last year I when I got the Aeolus, I thought I will be done with headphones hunting. But your photos and some others’ make me want to get more and more. Now I have Aeolus, Elegia, and Verite Open running with THX 789 and BH Crack. My next targets is a pair of Verite Closed, Phonitor X, and a better DAC.

6 Likes

I also own ZMF Aeolus and Focal Elegia. ZMF is a much more comfortable headphone. I think the listening sessions are better with ZMF.

I like the Elegia. The clamp pressure is a touch firm, but hopefully that will loosen up in time. The open back Focal Clear is better comfort wise than the closed back Elegia for this reason.

6 Likes

The Elegia is a closed-back so they need clamp force to ensure good seal on your head which provides better isolation. After a week of use they get much more comfortable to me.
Edit: I would love to try the Clear if I have a chance.

2 Likes

I just made a DIY light box and took some photo of my gears. ZMF Aeolus is one of my favorite headphones. Please share with me your photos of the Aeolus.

IG: @audible_art_91

20 Likes

Excellent Impressions @Vincent_Quy.

3 Likes