Best music for working from home

A lot of us have been suddenly thrust into having to work from home. Good background music can improve your mood and productivity while combating loneliness and boredom.

What are your suggestions for great music to listen to while working that still allows you to focus on what you’re doing?

9 Likes

6 Likes

After a few years of Google Play Music subscription – with all the AI training behind the scenes – all I need is a single click:

It works to my taste. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Boards of Canada, Music Has the Right to Children. (One of those albums that succeeds brilliantly as a single, coherent piece of music. It grew on me after listening to it in the background a bunch of times. At some point it had snuck up on me - without realizing it, I’d gone from enjoying it to being completely smitten with it. And after nearly two decades it doesn’t sound in the least bit outdated).

DJ Shadow, Endtroducing… (although it can be a bit too distracting at times)
Oscar Peterson, We Get Requests, Night Train, and Ben Webster Meets Oscar Peterson
Horace Silver, Song for My Father (the whole album)
Hank Mobley, Roll Call
Schubert, Piano Sonata No. 21 and German Dances (both with Stephen Kovacevich)
Brian Eno, Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks

3 Likes

And then there’s this, when you need to take a break: https://youtu.be/gWyp5i0R70o

2 Likes

Any chill-hop or lofi beats playlist

Example:

5 Likes

Brian Eno, Talking Heads, The Orb. For productivity zoning.

Dead frickin’ silence if you have to talk to clients on the phone. Shut off the damn music and concentrate on what they are saying.

For writing, composing, being creative, Beethoven, Debussy, Chopin, Bach, Mozart, Teleman, Handel, Grieg – I think you get the idea.

For me, Jazz doesn’t work, as I’ll start to listen hard and it will destroy my concentration. Same with more modern orchestral works. If it’s a warhorse, I know it and it won’t distract, but enhance.

I can’t work to folk, or stuff like Pentangle, Steeleye Span, Fairport Convention, most rock, or punk. Ditto Polkas, Klezmer, or cartoon music.

I can work to world music where I don’t know the language, and stuff like Enya. Generally can’t be headphones (Although I’m OK with the old Stax, they are light and don’t clamp hard) Usually has to be on speakers.

Maybe I’m just wierd. What are other people’s parameters?

8 Likes

Listened to this on loop while working on a big code project:

3 Likes

Jazz, orchestral, and heavy metal are all equally bad. Fast changes, uneven rhythms, and too dynamic. Simple, smooth, even rhythms, acoustic, vocals of known songs are good.

4 Likes

started some “Pat Metheney” a few minutes ago

1 Like

#1 Dad’s new album. Freedom Fighter good song.

And

The Middle East

1 Like

I just found out that Abbey Road is a pretty good album.

Synthwave of any type is great for working too, no matter where you are.

Edit: The Midnight has been on my playlist for a while now.

3 Likes

“Come Together” on the ZMF VC is something special.

4 Likes

I’m sure most songs on that are something special. xD

Also sounds excellent on my HE-4XX

2 Likes

I am currently listening to Joey Alexander. Extremely talented kid who plays piano jazz music.

1 Like
1 Like

While at work I’m currently rocking a portable UE boombox (blue and grey) portable with some lo-fi beats lol

2 Likes

Um. The White Album is also pretty good.

2 Likes

I’m currently going over my SuperTramp playlist. Also the Album
Breakfast In America (Deluxe Edition) by Supertramp on Qobuz open.qobuz.com/album/0060075330438

I really love this album.

6 Likes

I think the order of the day today is deadmau5.
W:/2016ALBUM/ is pretty great

3 Likes