CanJam New York City 2023 - Official Discussion Thread

Well, the best-laid plans … No CanJam NYC for me this year despite an earlier post in this thread saying I’m going.

My band packed a local bar earlier this month for our first gig at that venue, and the owner texted me this morning and offered us another slot – you guessed it, Saturday, Feb. 25.

I’m the only guy in the band who’s a headphone freak/dork. Bandmates would not understand if the gig was scrapped because the singer was in Manhattan trying on headphones. :slight_smile:

Can’t say I blame them. About the only thing I like better than using and talking about headphones is singing at a gig with my band! Plus, it’s a really fun venue where we want to stay in the regular rotation.

Enjoy, peeps. Already circling the calendar for NYC 2024.

6 Likes

Just some teasers for what we’ll be bringing to the show!

Headphones

• Hifiman Susvara
  • Final Audio D8000 Pro
  • Audeze LCD-5
  • Focal Utopia 2022
  • Sennheiser HD800S
  • Rosson Audio Design RAD-0
  • Dan Clark Audio Stealth
  • Dan Clark Audio Expanse
  • Meze Audio Elite
  • Warwick Acoustics Bravura
  • Denon AHD9200
Amps & DAC
  • dCS Lina Stack
  • Feliks Audio Envy
  • Zaehl HM1
  • Feliks Audio Euforia EVO
  • Weiss
  • Chord Hugo TT2

This is just a little teaser of what you can expect at our booth. There may or may not be some prototypes and unannounced things there as well and our gear list is quite a bit more extensive than what I put here. Definitely come by the booth and check it out and say hi.

We’re also going to have some merch exclusive to CanJam NYC and some swag to giveaway along with a couple high-end headphone giveaways!

15 Likes

I will definitely be there Saturday, less likely Sunday this year - since I moved to Jersey City and got a puppy going a second day this year is less practical. I may buy the weekend pass, though, just in case. :wink:

I am most looking forward to:

• Getting to meet some of the people from this forum & some of the youtube personalities I feel like I already know but actually don’t: Andrew, Taron, DMS, Goldensound, Zeos, etc.
  • Finally meeting Zach & Bevin! (and letting them talk me into buying a Caldera? TBD…)
  • Meeting the Abyss crew and getting to talk to them about their products.
  • Spending hands-on time with more electrostats. I spent a lot of time last year with CRBN and absolutely loved it, but it was the first time I had ever heard an e-stat and I was so enthralled I forgot to spend time with Stax, DCA, Warwick, etc. I’m also REALLY looking forward to listening to Eksonic’s amps again - Kerry’s room was the highlight of the show for me last year!
  • Not missing the Woo room entirely like I did last year. :man_facepalming:
  • Spending hours at the musicteck table. Seriously, they’re SO nice and they bring SO MUCH STUFF!
  • Checking out the Spirit Torino table. I have no idea what to expect, but I’m super curious to have a listen.

I’ve only been to CanJam once before, so I’m no expert, but after realizing what I did WRONG last year these are the tips I would offer:

1. Don’t get so enthralled by one or two things and spend the whole day with those items. Keep moving - there’s a LOT to see & listen to!
  2. Don’t skip tables/booths that are unfamiliar to you or that look “unimpressive” at first glance - you might miss something you’ll really wish you had stopped to listen to later. Stop, sit down, and ask the exhibitioner “so, what do you have here?”
  3. Bring your own iem tips and your own dongle/dap. And download some music you know you’ll want to use to audition (connectivity in the convention room is AWFUL)

I hope to see lots of you there!

8 Likes

I have tickets for both days (not sure if Sunday will happen). Super excited to see Zach and co and listen to Caldera, really going to try to not buy one. Also excited to try to try Valkyria and just walking around the floor, attending some seminars, and meeting some fellow audiophiles from the forums.

Also bringing the wife and some friends (hoping for some new converts :crossed_fingers:t5:)

3 Likes

Yes! This year I’m going to try to attend some of the presentations, too. So much to do, so little time!

3 Likes

I’m walking away with a Caldera, too…so you should twin with me and walk away with me with another Caldera.

Also, be sure to listen to the FatFreq Maestro Mini and SE at Musicteck!

2 Likes

I really should stop reading this thread :smile:

1 Like

Yes, I actually am really looking forward to checking out the Fatfreq Maestro and comparing it to my Legend EVO. The bass god gauntlet has been thrown down!

Just got to throw on some iFi xBass on there to really get it going :wink: .

Legend EVO is one of the few headphones where I actually experience bass fatigue. It just kind of walks that line between too much of a good thing and nailing it for me.

New York is almost here! Getting excited!

2 Likes

Alright, CanJam New York 2023 is officially a week away and it’s time to announce what we’ll be bringing, discounts available and some giveaways!

First things first, the Giveaways

GIVEAWAYS From Headphones.com

• Focal Utopia 2022
  • 64 Audio tia Fourte Blanc
  • Focal Bathys
  • Sennheiser IE200

DISCOUNTS

Every piece of gear we have at our booth will have a retail discount along with many other headphones, dacs and amps that you can grab a discount on at the show (forum members can DM me as well if you’re not able to make it).

• 20% off Empire Ears
  • 10% off Astell&Kern (CA1000 is excluded but will be $400 off)
  • 20% off 64 Audio
  • 15% off Burson Audio
  • 10% off Ferrum Audio

Headphones.com CanJam NYC 2023 Gear List

Headphones

• Hifiman Susvara
  • Hifiman HE1000v2 Stealth Edition
  • Hifiman Arya Stealth Edition
  • Focal Utopia 2022
  • Focal Stellia
  • Focal Clear Mg
  • Focal Clear Og
  • Focal Radiance
  • Focal Bathys
  • Final Audio D8000 Pro
  • Audeze LCD-5
  • Audeze LCD-X
  • Audeze LCD-XC
  • Dan Clark Audio Expanse
  • Dan Clark Audio Stealth
  • Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire
  • Sennheiser HD800S
  • Sennheiser HD820
  • Sennheiser HD660s2
  • Sennheiser HD650
  • Sennheiser HD600
  • Moondrop Venus
  • Meze Audio Elite
  • Meze Audio Empyrean Phoenix
  • Meze Audio LIRIC
  • Meze Audio 109 Pro
  • Denon AH-D9200
  • Warwick Acoustics Bravura System
  • Rosson Audio Design RAD-0

Source Gear

• Zahl HM1
  • iFi Audio Pro iDSD Signature
  • iFi Audio Pro iCAN Signature
  • iFi Audio Neo iDSD
  • Feliks Audio Envy
  • Feliks Audio Euforia EVO
  • Ampsandsound x Headphones.com Forge
  • Ampsandsound x Headphones.com Leeloo
  • Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies 3rd Gen
  • Weiss DAC502
  • Niimbus US 5 Pro
  • Ferrum Oor + Hypsos
  • Ferrum Erco
  • dCS LINA Amp, DAC and Clock Stack
  • HiFi Rose 150b
  • RME ADI-2 DAC FS
  • Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro
  • Chord Electronics Hugo TT2
  • Chord Electronics M Scaler
  • SPL Phonitor X
  • Questyle CMA 12

Other Show Floor Discounts available

64 Audio 20% off on the A6t and up
Astell+Kern 10% off all products ordered at show except ACRO CA1000, which is $400 off.
Free custom in-ear impressions for first 30 attendees, no purchase necessary
Audio-Technica Visit booth for a chnace to win a pair of ATH-TWX9 wireless earphones
10% off select headphones, exclusions apply. Viist booth for more details.
Atlas Cables 10% off
DALI 20% off DALI headphone products
Dekoni Audio Visit booth for a chance to win a Dekoni x Hifiman Cobalt on Sunday at 3pm
25% off MSRP for all Dekoni products at show
DROP Visit booth for a coupon offer for an online purchase
EarMen 10% of all products
Effect Audio Up to 20% off + Free Gifts for purchases made at show
Eletech 15% off all prodcuts at show
Elysian Acoustic Labs Visit booth for available bundle offers
Empire Ears 20% off
Ferrum Audio 10% off
Free power splitter and FPL cable with purchase of Ferrum WANDLA
Headphones.com Visit booth to enter a giveaway with the following prizes: (1) Focal Utopia 2022, (1) 64 Audio tia Fourte Blanc, (1) Focal Bathys, (1) Sennheiser IE200
Visit booth for available sales offers
Jomo Audio 20% off UIEMs
MusicTeck 20% off select products from Cayin, Empire Ears, FAudio, Noble Audio, PWAudio, qdc, Shanling, and Unique Melody; 15% off Eletech
PSB 20% off PSB Headphones
Visit booth for a chance to win a PSB Headphones M4U 8 MKII
Vision Ears Visit booth to listen to two prototypes and provide written feedback on a card; eligible participants will have a chance to win a EVE20 at the end of each day

Really looking forward to seeing everyone there and if you are a part of our forum or discord, please don’t be shy and come say hi to myself or the team as there are going to be a lot of members of Headphones.com at this show!

15 Likes

The new yamaha will be there at another vendor’s booth… it will be the new hotness and belle of the ball for this upcoming CJ.

Also available as a living Google Doc that I’ll update as I remember new stuff and gather others’ suggestions

CanJam Mini-Guide To Times Square & Hell’s Kitchen

By @andris

I lived 5 blocks from the Mariott Marquis in Times Square for over 10 years, and moved away during the pandemic. I now live in Harlem, but many of my favorite places are still there. This is not meant to be a comprehensive guide, but just a quick few suggestions for fun spots where you won’t go wrong in the area, and that don’t show up on every list you Google. I’m intentionally not covering all of NYC, so if you want super special stuff outside of walking distance, find a way to message me or find other friendly locals to chat with.

General Notes

Check out Times Square, but don’t eat or shop there - With very few exceptions, restaurants and shopping in the immediate vicinity of Times Square are tourist traps, and you’ll overpay for mediocre food or goods. But, if you haven’t seen Times Square itself, especially at night, do it at least once; it’s really cool. Then go eat, drink, and shop elsewhere.

You can do better than Restaurant Row (46th St between 8th & 9th Ave) - You’re getting closer to the good stuff, but you haven’t found the promised land yet. While much better than Times Square proper, these restaurants still lean touristy with mediocre menus. Keep going…

Hell’s Kitchen is where it’s at - If you want to eat or drink within a few minutes’ walk of CanJam, get to 9th or 10th Avenue. While a few tourist traps remain, they’re fewer and farther between, and typically super obvious. You’re more likely to go right than wrong, here.

Quick Bites

Almost any place you spot will be perfectly fine for a snack or to grab a quick meal, but these are some that will be better than the average joint

Shake Shack (44th St & 8th Ave) - Yes it’s a chain, but it’s a good one, and it’s only two blocks from the hotel. Everything is tasty, but my go-to order is a Smoke Shack WITH a shroom burger patty added to it (on top - not a separate burger) and a fair-trade coffee shake.

Turco Mediterranean Grill (43rd St & 9th Ave) - Surprisingly tasty little Turkish joint. Anything with the gyro meat is awesome, but don’t pass over the sides either.

Taqueria Diana (39th St & 9th Ave) - Unassuming corner mexican place, but they make a mean burrito and quesadilla, and even their cocktails are solid. My go-to is an al pastor burrito or quesadilla, and if you want to live a little - add the guac.

Lazzarra’s Pizza (38th St betw. 7th & 8th Ave) - All pizza, like-for-like, in NYC is better than most other places, but just because the average pizza here is better than the average pizza elsewhere doesn’t mean you’ll get blown away at every pizza joint. Lazzarra’s is the closest place you can walk to that I’d consider “extra good”.

Sit-Down

From cheap to expensive-ish, here are some great spots for dinner after a long day of listening, including one hidden gem that you’ll remember for a long time if you catch it on the right night.

***Trattoria Casa Di Isacco (9th Ave betw 39th & 40th) - This might be my personal best hot tip in all of NYC. This place looks like a shoddy tourist trap - but you’d be wrong. It is owned by a former Elvis impersonator named Isacc, and he still looks the part. Better yet, he’s usually there, and on weekends, he’s usually drunk, and he’s usually singing. Wait, wait, I’m not done. He typically has a blind pianist playing covers on weekends, and he’ll take ANY request. AC/DC? Done. Queen? Sure! Best of all, if you’re a fun hang, have a good time, and sing along, you are likely to get poured plenty of extra wine, on the house. The menu is good (not amazing, mind you, but good) and the dessert is better than you’d expect. But, in the end, you’re not coming here for the food. Sit inside. Isaac doesn’t tend to hang in the outside tent.

Yum Yum Too (46th St & 9th Ave) - Fairly inexpensive Thai place. Super casual, but really good for the price.

5 Napkin Burger (45th St & 9th Ave) - A chain, but a good one. Excellent beer menu, and delicious burgers. If you’re not sure what to get, just order the namesake 5 Napkin Burger. You won’t be sorry.

Sushiva (9th Ave betw. 43rd & 44th St) - A very unassuming sushi place that punches well above its appearance and (relatively inexpensive, for sushi) price tag. The fish tends to be extra fresh, well presented, and the chef’s special rolls are well balanced. If you’re not sure what to get, just grab a buddy and get the “Sushi & Sashimi for 2”.

The Meatball Shop (53rd St & 9th Ave) - Who knew meatballs could be this good!? Artisan meatball dishes, and mean ice cream sandwiches made with freshly baked cookies. Yum!

44 & X (44th St & 10th Ave) - Best brunch in the area. This is one of those places that looks, feels, and tastes way more expensive than it is.

Anejo (47th St & 10th Ave) - The dishes are more interesting than your typical Mexican restaurant, and the cocktail menu is awesome.

Pio Pio (10th Ave betw. 43rd & 44th St) - Absolutely fantastic Peruvian place with great food and cocktails. I’d recommend Juanita’s Chicken (yes, the chicken is one of the best dishes), or the Lomo Saltado.

Marseille (44th St & 9th Ave) - French place with an awesome oyster menu. More expensive (but not crazy expensive), and quite tasty.

Drinks & Bars

There are better areas of NYC than Hell’s Kitchen to go “out out” (e.g. if you’re looking for a proper club or concerts), but for debating Utopia vs Susvara, and whether or not USB cables matter, you’ll have tons of really great options within a few blocks. Also keep in mind that many restaurants in NYC actually have really solid cocktail and beer menus, so you don’t have to find a “proper bar” to get a good drink (and vice versa).

Bea (43rd St & 9th Ave) - A good choice for tasty cocktails, and they have some good beers as well (albeit a limited selection). A smidge toward the trendy side, but not intimidatingly so.

Dalton’s Bar & Grill (43rd St & 9th Ave) - The Focal Utopia of sports bars. Not the best at anything, but does everything well, and in balance. Not too crowded but has plenty of patrons, good bar menu, plenty of good beers, bar and normal seating, excellent TV visibility, and conveniently located. Perfect if you need to catch a game, or even just to chat.

Rudy’s (9th Ave betw. 43rd & 44th St) - A proper dive bar with history. It is not fancy, but if you want a $4 beer in NYC, this is one of the places you’ll find it. They actually have some “real” beers too, so you can take your upscale friend along and they’ll survive (but only barely).

Mercury Bar (9th Ave betw. 45th & 46th St) - Just a solid generic bar that’s two blocks from the hotel. Not super touristy, large selection of decent drinks, and not too expensive. May get crowded on the weekend, so good if you want something a bit more hopping.

RT60 (48th St betw. 7th & 6th Ave) - This is for folks who want something clubby with a great view of midtown. Given its location, it will lean touristy, but locals do go here. Things don’t get really going until around 11pm or later, so if the club isn’t your scene, but you want the view, you can swing by a bit earlier and it won’t be too crazy. There are plenty of other rooftop bars in the area (just Google them), but I wanted to call this one out for those who want to dance nearby.

18 Likes

Hey, I myself love waiting an hour for a table at Junior’s and then paying $20 for Reuben sandwich. :roll_eyes: The long wait gives me enough time to buy ointment to soothe the bedbug bites one is likely to get on their ankles in the Broadway theaters. :face_with_spiral_eyes: (True story. Don’t ask unless you plan to go to a Broadway show.)

3 Likes

I second this. One of the best burgers in NYC, and reasonably priced. Make a reservation, it’s jam packed on weekends.

If you want interesting comfort food & milkshakes Mom’s Kitchen & Bar is good kitschy fun. Get the mac & cheese balls or the fruity pebbles waffles.

I’m also a big fan of Aria on 51st & 9th. Italian tapas, wine, & low key romantic ambiance. Reasonable prices and usually not too hard to get a table.

If you have a big group Carmine’s in the heart of Times Square is actually pretty good “family style” italian food. It’s the rare Times Square joint that is actually worth going to.

6 Likes

Happy Cake Day @chrisnyc75.

5 Likes

Happy Cake Day chrisnyc75!

2 Likes

I’m really regretting not getting my tickets. :face_holding_back_tears:

I had talked myself into going a month or so back. Flight was pretty cheap. Actually not much more than 1 night at the Marquis even with show discount! :laughing:

Hesitated because I was going to buy a dac.

Now…still don’t have a dac and flights have more than doubled. Should’ve just booked it dammit!!

Excited for everyone and hope you all have a great time. I will live vicariously through your posts…this time !

7 Likes

There’s always CanJam Chicago or SoCal.

3 Likes

Introducing the LIMITED EDITION Tangle T!

Designed especially for Can Jam NYC, 2023.

Now you get to wear your gear on more than just your head.

For sale only at our booth F5-F10, while quantities last!

8 Likes

Have a good show everybody on the headphones.com team. Wish I could be there to check out all the cool stuff :slight_smile:

3 Likes