Constructive criticism for the site

Is there any way to upload a short video, mp4 or whatever? I’m not keen on posting a 5 second clip to youtube just to be able to link it here.

2 Likes

You can use https://streamable.com/ for that. You can use it for free, but with a restricted upload limit and your uploads get removed after a few months which of course can be lifted by paying a monthly fee. But it’s good enough to just share short clips over the internet occasionally.

3 Likes

Bombs & @taronlissimore - Recent tweaks looking and working very good! Thanks!

5 Likes

I don’t know why, but every time that I got to a thread that I’m following, the sticky “last visited” doesn’t work. This was working perfectly fine a couple weeks ago, and then it just stopped. Let’s say I am visiting the “What’s in the box!” thread. Let’s say the last reply is 5294. When I click on the thread, I am taken to the 5280 something message.

The issue is almost exclusively present in the above-mentioned thread, perhaps it also happens in other threads with a lot of pictures, but I cannot remember.

Any help?

The same problem occurs. “What’s in the box!” — 2 new replies

I click on the thread, while the page is loading the sidebar goes to the correct “page” (5300), but when it finally loads, it just shoots back to 5290.

I’ve experienced “last visiting” and other oddness if the page is left open for long periods. Sometimes I close the tab and browser, and reload everything. I’m guessing there could be cache sync issues, the thread count pointers need to be reset, etc.

1 Like

I’ll try that. Weirdly enough, it only occurs on the “What’s in the box!” thread.

The blue circle indicating that there are unread posts in a thread doesn’t reset if you’re ignoring someone and that person is the last one to post on the thread.

It’s not a big deal. But I keep getting hoodwinked into the thinking that there’s a new post to read when there isn’t.

Edit: “hoodwinked” is an interesting word

4 Likes

seems to be working better for me across mobile & computer in dark mode.

Thanks!

4 Likes

I notice some odd quirks with pricing and the way deals are presented. First off, I keep seeing this as a suggestion when reviewing an order:

That’s not a deal, lol.

Secondly, some items that are on sale don’t make it clear how much of a sale it is. Take the Sundara 2020 Edition for example. The base unit shows $349 in blue. But the open box version shows the struck out price as $499. Now we all know Sundara sells for $350 everywhere. So what’s with the $499? And why is $349 a sale in the first place? And if it indeed is, why isn’t it showing how much of a sale it is?

1 Like

Make Dark Mode the standard, I find it much easier on the site and had no idea it existed until I skimmed this thread.

Alternatively, prompt the user when signing up which theme they’d prefer

1 Like

Is there a way to change your account password on the forum? I can’t find it under account settings.

I believe it is “Send Password Reset Email” at Preferences → Security → Password:

2 Likes

Ah now I feel like a dunce. Just realized there’s this extra menu with all these options on it :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Your web site is really hard to use it sucks

Well, that’s criticism … but it’s hardly constructive.

Discourse, which is what this site is based on, is used by thousands of sites … and is favored by those that are looking to keep the most active discussions visible (as opposed to the static structure of some other forum sites).

What was your issue?

I’ll hazard a guess …

You signed up, tried to create a new topic/thread for 10 minutes, and got frustrated because you couldn’t figure out how?

That’d be because you can’t create new topics/threads as a new user. You have to participate in existing threads for a while before you can create new ones. That’s a) to prevent spam and b) stop this place turning into Reddit - where every third post is a question that’s already been asked 100 times.

That’s why there are very general, well trafficked, threads, which you CAN respond to … such as:

or:

And then, if you are looking for a specific topic, the search function works wonders.

10 Likes

A voice of reason, thank you

1 Like

Reason schmeason!!! Pffft :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: