Electronic Music Discussion (EDM, Trance, Synth, Dub, Techno, House, etc)

Oh man! Trentemoller is another one of my favorites. Evil Dub and Moan are good ones too.

3 Likes

Just got my first Beyerdynamic (990 600ohm) like 5 minutes ago. First song on Roon radio is…

… which I had never heard before. Those little clicks and pops feel like they’re in my head, right below my eyes , like in my sinuses.
For $175 I’m surprised…. these may be better than I expected. Literally the first song I’ve listened to. So way too early to tell :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

I was curious. Nice album, or at least first tracks, which I’m listening to. It’s been a while since I fired up my favorite chain. Mini to BF2 to STAX amp to Nectar Hive e-Stats. Damn I like these phones, and this track pointed out exactly why! My head became the clicks and pops.

Thanks for posting - an artist I’m not familiar with. Can hardly wait to listen on the new speakers in my office on Monday…

A BIT LATER . . . read the ROON write-up on Yello. Listening to POINT, a 2020 release. This is an interesting duo. Good headphone music.

1 Like

I was “doing my research” on influences on Frank Zappa, who apparently idolized a dada composer I’d never heard, Edgard Varese. He’d been hearing electronic music in his head since at least the early 1900s, and spent most of his life frustrated with the technology he had available. And lack of funding.

Here’s a link to a masterwork broadcast over 400 speakers in the Phillips Pavillion at the 1958 World’s Fair.

1 Like

4 Likes

That first Fever Ray album is one of my favorites. Incredible gothy electronic music. Just wish she didn’t take so long to release albums. Judging by the gap between her first and second, the third one will come out in 2025.

Do you like Zola Jesus? Her music is similar (gloomy, gothy electronic music), maybe a bit more influenced by Joy Division, and she’s more prolific than Fever Ray, although even she hasn’t released anything since 2017.

3 Likes

Oh man, this album is insanely good.

The sounds she creates are amazing.

I dabble with a keyboard and daw and I’m sitting here constantly asking myself “how did she do that?”. What a trip.

2 Likes

Here’s an album I’ve been listening to a lot over the last few days, by Crystal Castles.

I’d say it’s in the same Fever Ray/Knife universe but more at the Knife end of the spectrum. The vocals are what I would call “melodic screaming”, heavily distorted to become another electronic instrument.

The classic Crystal Castles lineup that recorded the first 3 albums had an acrimonious breakup, and the singer was replaced, but I thought that the latest album was actually OK, even if it wasn’t at the same level as its predecessors IMO. Anyway, their second album is my favorite.

2 Likes

Intro to the show “Viking!” Love that intro - didn’t realize it was Fever Ray.

1 Like

Do you find yourself longingly looking back to the 80’s and wishing you could have some of that magic again? Well, my friend, there is a cure. It’s called Synthwave.

Here is a new release that is “classic” Synthwave through and through:

5 Likes

Love me some Synthwave!

1 Like

I hadn’t heard of Zola Jesus but I quickly shuffled around this album in the few minutes I had to listen. I like it…the last song “lightstick” especially resonated with me. I’ll have to come back and check her music out more when I have time. Want to look into the Knife too… haven’t heard any of their music yet either. Just happened across Fever Ray through Roon radio…I’m not too familiar with electronic music. So pretty much everything is new to me :grin:

The AES Dana album is a true gem. Thanks for pointing it out !

1 Like

On a more upbeat note, I’ve been listening to this :

As melodic as it is tight. “Petit matin”, “Seasons” and “The kid and planes” are so good. But the album has almost no low points.

2 Likes

My son dropped his first single today. I know I’m the proud dad, but it’s pretty good.

8 Likes

That’s awesome! I look forward to checking it out after work. Congrats to you both!

2 Likes

Congratulations @PaisleyUnderground you must be so proud. I will take a peek.

1 Like

It’s really good! I hadn’t known what to expect and was surprised at the high production quality of the song. I guess I’d assumed it’d be something more amateurish - based on the music made at home by my friends, when they were in their 20s - whereas this sounds very professionally mixed.

There’s a great beat and flow to the lyrics, with excellent delivery. It reminds me of some of the stuff put out on Ninja Tune or on their related Big Dada label. (I also love that it’s released on Lego Bruce Wayne records).

3 Likes

Thanks @Tchoupitoulas and @prfallon69 !

I wasn’t sure what to expect either. He’s at college right now and his music has been a bit of a mystery, so I was very pleasantly surprised at how well produced it is.

5 Likes

Just listened. Nice effort. No worse than anything else written in the last 400 years. I’m just getting used to polyphony.

1 Like