Electronic Music Discussion (EDM, Trance, Synth, Dub, Techno, House, etc)

Horrorsynth from the album “Panic” by Destryur

She Comes At Midnight

Cannibal Girls

3 Likes

Really nice. Can’t get enough of the mau5.

3 Likes

Classic synthwave/outrun album from Danger Mode:

The soundtrack to a movie you never saw:

"Hired as a freelancer by his old employers, the FBI, psychological profiler Jerome Bishop must piece together the most labyrinthine case he’s ever faced. After years of compulsory retirement, his world erupts in violence - a series of ritualistic murders, a wave of panic and fear. When every clue is a dead end, every crime scene as cold as its victims, Bishop must go beyond fear and reason to delve into the mindset of a most insidious killer. Violent, thrilling, hardboiled explosive action. Nothing is darker than…Calico Noir.’

2 Likes

So Autechre put out Two new LPs last fall.

SIGN I found to be one of my favourite albums from them yet. My favourite tracks are M4 Lema, F7, esc desc and r cazt. The tonality and sonic range on this album is so appealing to me. Autechre has such a way of creating sounds that sound synthetic but yet feel very acoustic and at times make me think if it’s actually an acoustic instrument.

https://open.qobuz.com/album/ijvhylaqyzznb

the companion album PLUS I also really enjoy, though I’ve listened to it fewer times. favourite tracks here are ecol4, lux 106 mod, and X4.

The overall sound of both these albums I find to be very raw and (at least for me) quite emotional.

https://open.qobuz.com/album/wkojv488zc3ub

Wondered if anyone else had any takes on these two albums?

1 Like

I just listened to this album last month for the first time. I am a huge fan of Robert Hood, he’s probably my favourite Detroit Techno artists. Paradygm Shift was not my favourite, it had a few tracks I enjoyed but man I feel with Mirror Man there is so much more emotion behind the music, whereas PS felt more like a collection of singles. I did a little write up/review of Mirror Man on the Discogs page… I can quote it here.

Blockquote

As a big fan of the Robert Hood sound, and having listened to pretty much everything the man has released under any alias, this album may be one of his most aggressive and booming yet. I absolutely love the energy. My own pure speculation here, but iI feel some of the anger and frustrations surrounding the rising racial tensions in the US in 2020 were masterfully channeled into this. Thick deep unrelenting pounding Detroit Techno at its best. I mean there are many dancefloor killers here. But the bass even at its deepest and heaviest is not bloated, it is so well produced and mastered you can hear so many layers and different textures of the bass frequencies and it does not at all drown out the mids or those crisp claps and high-hats. You cannot help but crank this record. Great for the dancefloor (when we can get back to it) and headphones alike. A must have for fans of both Mr Hood and Techno in general. 5/5

2 Likes

I love a nice and airy sounds. If anyone knows of stuff that sounds like this I’d love to know. It’s hard to find similar music to this. Where it has a fluffy melody like your floating through clouds. Then paired with a twinkly sound like you’re hearing tiny specs of sand tickle your brain. It kind of sound that makes everything melt away. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

This isn’t quite what you’re looking for. I like my music kind of dark, so it doesn’t quite meet the fluffy aspect you’re looking for but I think you may like it.

Also Max Cooper has a lot of great albums that take you on a journey…

….it’s a close your eyes and float along kind of album. Again, gets somewhat dark though.
Here’s a varied group of albums that have in part or might lead you to what you’re looking for…

That last one has some of those little brain ticklers in it. This probably wasn’t particularly helpful… I get what you’re describing and you’re right, they’re hard to find. I know I have some more specific examples of what you’re talking about. Just hard to find in a sea of music but if I come across them I’ll share.

3 Likes

Nice list. I’ll have to listen to some of your dark ambient picks while I grind out CE’s at work :frowning: Will probably fit my mood to start. And now that I’ve got nice sound in my office, it will be difficult to stay grumpy.

3 Likes

Yo! That AEA Dana is it! That’s good music! I love in Inks you can hear a SUPER faint film of like kids playing in the background or something. Crazy!

1 Like

Really like the Glassforms ambient. Good for work background. Until the harplike “Mad Rush” cut. That may be skipped.

3 Likes

Totally agree, I listen to it as background music while working except that one… that track is so grating. Sounds like someones kid got ahold of the knobs in the studio and no one fixed it. Totally unlistenable. By the way, congrats on getting your office setup all sorted. New speakers look fantastic…sure they’re sounding even better

1 Like

Mostly sorted, thank you. Need to swap in the Sansui AU-919 and the Blue Jeans “10 white” speaker cables. I’m looking for advice at Connecting ipad pro to dac/amp - #13 by pennstac for how to connect my iPad with a non-BT connection if I choose to do that.

I was listening to some Tomita today also.

That Kiln album is wonderful! Now I know why you’re looking for more music like that. It reminded me a little bit of Beatrice Dillon, who creates a slightly more organic sound (at least in my head) but has some similar textures.

2 Likes

I’ve actually been thinking for a while that I wish there were a thread on here for music recommendations. Something exactly like this: “I’m loving X music. Can people recommend stuff that’s similar or in the same ballpark?” That would be great.

4 Likes

Yeah Kiln holds a special place in my ear-heart. He released a new track recently. I hope that means he’ll have a new album out soon.

1 Like

New Power Glove album released:

Go to Bandcamp to listen to the full album.

Came across this… reminded me of this conversation.

2 Likes