How is The HEADPHONE Community Funded?

You can do it right on your phone either using the camera/photos app or freeware. Too many models/variations to cover, but it isn’t hard, doesn’t cost anything.

If you’re posting from a computer there are hundreds of free image editing tools that’ll do it.

3 Likes

I’m on an iPad using the standard photos app. and I currently don’t know how.

Perhaps a thread with instructions is required.

2 Likes

Or you could Google it …

4 Likes

The forum software, sadly, does not allow imposing resolution limits for pictures, only file-size limits. Or I’d have been advocating for enforcing those.

However, given how Discourse works, while reducing image sizes will certainly reduce costs a bit, I’d be inclined to focus on funding models/mechanisms rather than cost optimizations at this stage.

4 Likes

Yeah, fair, I feel like it would be darn near impossible to enforce resizing images… as I’m guilty of not doing it all the time… or accidentally picking the image that wasn’t resized…

@ValentineLuke download PS Express it is very easy to use and it has some editing features, along with resizing options that are easy. It’s what I use on my phone and iPad for image resizing

2 Likes

Honestly usability is so important and I support the convenience of direct uploads from our phones. Any image optimization etc. should happen on our end.

I’m less worried about reducing forum expenses or increasing forum revenue, and more worried about making sure the way we’re monetizing the forum makes sense.

For context, the Amazon affiliate links historically covered around 25% of forum costs and now they cover just over 50%. We’re fine with that. Even though we don’t advertise our store here, the store definitely benefits from its association with the community.

10 Likes

But I just paid for Photoshop. :flushed:

(Kidding. I’m trying out the free version. :+1:t4:)

2 Likes

I think that app I recommended has a free version and is essentially a mini Lightroom/photoshop… but I’m a subscriber to adobe Lightroom/photoshop so I could be mistaken…

@andrew I think it is very awesome that you can get the cost of the forum down by 50% but I think it would be even more awesome, if it was self sustaining… that way it wouldn’t affect your storefront/nor would your storefront affect the forum if that makes sense? I hope more members weigh in here, but I think if something as simple as an ad banner or two would cover the cost of the forum, then why not!!! But, I think more of the members should weigh in on the topic, as right now it looks like mostly Core Team and moderators are the majority responding…which may come off as biased, to some… but, from my perspective I want to preserve this slice of the internet I partake in, and if that means having an ad or two in the wings…then cool, it won’t overly affect my day :wink: other than potentially give me a hankering to buy some random thing… I.e. no different from any other day…lol

4 Likes

Yeah, I downloaded loaded it and it appears to be free. It has the standard “try out our…” option, but I think I’ll play around with it for now. Pretty sure the ‘lite’ version allows for resizing. :+1:t4:

2 Likes

That is correct!

2 Likes

I have to agree. Affiliate links to Amazon don’t bother me too much but it would be sad to see this great forum bombarded with Ads too. I get the need for funding. The thing that needs to be kept at all costs is the current laid back non aggressive atmosphere that is fostered on the forum.

6 Likes

I commend what Andrew @andrew and Taron @taronlissimore have done, first for the community in general, second for this amazing forum they have created and third for their business headphones.com.

My take as a relatively new member, is a follows
First this is by far the best forum I have been a part of. From the way most everyone ‘behaves’ themselves to the involvement of people like Ian @Torq and the involment of the owners, this is not something you see often. I hardly visit or post on the other forums anymore for two reasons, first is how unfortunately people act and second is because of this forum and how it is run.

This quote from Andrew shows how much they care about this site and it members, they should absolutely be commended for this.
I appreciate you caring as much as you do for this forum and it members Thank You!

Regarding, “monetizing this forum in a way that makes sense”
I too am fine with the Amazon links you currently have, for further monetizing, I would not be opposed to small or occasional ads.
This may be a conflict of interest but how about having a few business like ZMF and Schiit Audio involved somehow for adds/links to their products etc. (I know this goes against what you mentioned in the first post shown below, but was just an idea.)

When I can think of more ideas I post them.

7 Likes

That is a good idea! to have smaller boutique businesses that do majority direct sales as their avenue to customers to advertise… plus that is rather cool and I think would be less direct competition to the other side of the Headphone business… and honestly may invite those companies too start providing their wares to the Headphones.com wares after seeing how they run not only the forum but their experience buying headphones and gear from them… win win if it works out! For not only Headphones.com but the forum and its members… plus, it potentially would make it easier to get those more niche/boutique headphones or gear! Also added benefit of broadening the reach of smaller or direct sales headphone companies…plus it would be cool to see ZMF ads lol

5 Likes

This does seem like a good idea if ads are required.

The two companies mentioned are community favorites, and as Tyler said, don’t present direct competition to headphones.com (though from a community standpoint, I don’t think Andrew cares about that).

My only concerns are on the business side and wether their (headphones.com) partner companies would see any conflicts in not being allowed to participate in paid advertising.

Andrew and Taron are good guys and they’ve done a lot to create, and foster this forum/community. I wouldn’t want them to experience any repercussions in their business to fund our forum. That doesn’t sit well with me.

4 Likes

Very valid points, I agree…and this takes me to another thought… Andrew and Taron only put companies that they believe in on their site, or that have a high appreciation/approval rate so I mean technically any company they carry would be fine in my book to advertise…

I think the bigger issue is how pervasive it would be, personally I don’t mind ads some are downright obnoxious, but usually I just laugh at the absurdity of the ad and then proceed to ignore it. So from my point of view, as long as I don’t have to interact with the ad outside of seeing it on the fringes of the page (I.e. click a crappy hidden “x” somewhere on the ad to dismiss it) I’m pretty ok with ads. So big no no’s for me would be pop-ups, or forced to click an “x” ad to remove it which both usually go hand in hand. Also I wouldn’t want ads in threads directly, such as in between posts etc

5 Likes

Haha! I hate those little, teeny, tiny X’s. They always make the target so small, that you unintentionally click the ad!

Agreed.

3 Likes

Thank you Tyler and Christopher,

I did mention ZMF and Schiit specifically for the reasons you mentioned, as I belive it would be great to have other great boutique business with a partnership with headphones.com and this forum. As I can understand that this still might be considered a conflict of interest and I know that Taron @taronlissimore and Andrew @andrew would not want there to be even the appearance of conflict of interests and to further on Christopher’s point, of the business side and weather their partners would have issues.

Absolutely agree that Taron and Andrew only want to include companies they believe in.

Lol yea those little “x” at the top of ads are annoying

Again not sure how this would or would not work, but just an idea I had as I do belive ZMF and Schiit are two great boutique companies that I speculate Taron and Andrew would feel they would fall under the “companies they believe in” plus they are both companies that have a significant following on the forum. So possibly a “win/win” as Tyler mentioned.

3 Likes

It’s a noggin twister to be sure. As long as it doesn’t go down the Head-fi route then I trust @taronlissimore and @andrew to do right by their creation. Although having said that they must also do the best thing for their business as at the end of the day this is their livelihood. It must be a difficult balance.

7 Likes

I have no problems with advertising

and for changing the resolution…
In Snapseed you can easily resize pictures with to clicks

4 Likes