I'm Sailing Away

Thank you for your guidance. It has been very helpful to me. Best wishes on your adventure.

6 Likes

Thank you Ian @Torq, for everyone (including myself) that you have helped over the years. You have made a lasting impact in this community. Thank you for all you have done for this community and Headphones.com

Enjoy your new adventures and please don’t forget to stop by from time to time when you are able, to hopefully share some photos of your adventure.

Thank you Ian!!!

Best Wishes!

Jeremy

7 Likes

Although I’m new here, I’m familiar with @Torq’s contributions to the headphone community at other places. Best wishes on your new adventure, and thanks for all you’ve done!

6 Likes

Ian,

As a newcomer in the world of hifi I want to think you for the time you’ve devoted to this community. The info you have left behind in reviews, posts and numerous questions/ guidance you have given me personally has helped grow my knowledge and satisfaction with this hobby.

I wish the best for you and your wife on this incredible trip you two are taking and look forward to seeing periodic updates!

Thank you,
Josh

6 Likes

I can’t remember exactly where it appears, but there’s a biblical thing that says “much is required of those to whom much is given.” You’ve certainly done that here. Your extensive knowledge, experience and aptitude for headphone audio have been willingly shared to the great benefit of so many of us. For me, for example, that has led to wise purchases of Jotunheim, Clear and RME ADI-2. As one human being to another, thanks very much for all you’ve done here at the HEADPHONE community–you’re contributions have been huge. Music and sound are wonderful things, and you’ve made them all the more enjoyable for all of us. Thanks again. And best wishes always
Lee

7 Likes

Ian,
THANKS for all the advice, reviews and excellent responses. YOU WILL BE MISSED!

5 Likes

Torq,
Enjoy your trip and the music. Thank you for the reviews and helping me find a new EQ for my ‘phones setup.

4 Likes

Will we get a “Torqs Travels” thread?

I would certainly enjoy reading the adventure of someone who is living many people’s dreams :smiley:

11 Likes

Ian,

Enjoy your travels.

Thanks for your contributions to the group and to my personal learning journey. We will miss you.

So what equipment are you taking with you :*)

rick

7 Likes

I appreciate the kind words!

I’m not disappearing immediately, though I’ll be around progressively less over the next few weeks. It’s really the “Managing Editor” role that is most immediately affected.

Probably not 
 if I was of a mind to do something like that it’d probably just be on a personal blog (which I don’t do).

It’ll vary between the parts actually on boats, and those living in different countries, along with which countries those are and how long for. When we do London, we’ll be there for a couple or three years, directly and as a base for other Western European countries, so that’ll probably be the big Chord/Woo stack. On the sail-boat it could be as simple as the Cayin N8 and VĂ©ritĂ© Closed. On the Nordhavn likely the HMS/Hugo TT2/Jot R stack with VĂ©ritĂ© Closed & SR1a.

And so on 

14 Likes

I wish you well and that the tour goes as planned. This isn’t a sad time, and we will survive. We will remember you as the one who demonstrated how to enjoy the hobby with grace, elegance, and kindness.

7 Likes

@Torq Thanks for playing such large role in making this into the friendliest hifi forum on which I hang out, and also for encouraging and advising my burgeoning interest in writing about headphones. People like you, and many others in this community that you helped build, bring out my own joy in the pursuit of headphones as a hobby rather than just a means to an end.

May you and your wife find steady wind in your sails, calm seas beneath you, and many memorable experiences on your journey!

7 Likes

You aren’t going to do the Tyll retirement tour headphone lineup of Beats Solo and Bose QC35?

5 Likes

I’ve thanked @Torq for his generous, precise and balanced advice directly before, but sitting down listening to my home headphone system I wanted to note publicly that his reviews and advice influenced almost all of the audio gear that I now rely on for home, work:

• Yggdrasil A2
  • Phonitor XE
  • ZMF VeritĂ© open and closed
  • A&ultima SP1000M
  • Soekris dac1541
  • Linn Klimax DSM

Never had such enjoyment listening to recorded music!

4 Likes

Oh no 
 there’ll be none of that!

I can see a few of the shorter excursions, particularly in some of the African countries, being just my cellphone, a dongle and ER4-XR (DC3s are noisy!), but beyond that starting bid is either the A&K SP2000 or Cayin N8 with the tia Fourté or AAW Canary 
 depending on what I am in the mood for at the time, and whether WiFi will be available.

I’ll definitely list what I’m taking in each major jaunt/leg, but again the bulk of the time will be in cities, for months at a time, so a proper desktop system with at least a couple or three pairs of cans will be viable there.

10 Likes

I feel silly asking, but the logistics of it has me wondering; are you bringing the bulk of the gear, or purchasing for extended stays where gear is available?

3 Likes

Very happy you’re enjoying your music!

And glad that sharing my experiences helped you to find gear you enjoy!

5 Likes

They most certainly are, but they are amazing aircraft, that have proven themselves with an amazing ‘service life’

Safe travels and enjoy being in aircraft like the DC3!

For those who may not know he is referring to beauties like this

9 Likes

I’ll just be using the units I already have and shipping them to where I am going as appropriate (smaller stuff may travel with me, like the HMS/TT2). All of the crucial stuff is multi-voltage, even the tube-amps. The exception is the Jotunheim R, and I’ll just buy a 220V version for those countries.

The length of stay, and whether it’s a hub country or not will determine if it’s the big stuff that goes, the mid-size gear, or just DAP-level stuff.

9 Likes

My uncle was a pilot in the Air Force, afterwards he flew salmon across Alaska for several years before coming back and working for Lockheed, and later McDonnell Douglas before retiring due to health issues.

Those years in Alaska were the best times of his life. Partly due to being a newlywed, but mostly due to his rigorous work schedule flying his beloved DC-3.

He’d always smile when speaking of those times, and that plane.

8 Likes