[Interest Check] Greater Seattle-area Mini-Meet in November or December 2022

Hi all,

I’ve been kicking around the idea of setting up a local get together in the great Seattle area in either November or December. I shared this with a couple of other users in the area and they encouraged me to go ahead and post it out. The get together would be something low-key and informal, though hosted in a community space as opposed to anybody’s house or a local retailer. There are a couple of spots in Kenmore that I’m familiar with that could host it but if others had strong arguments for alternate places, I’m not wedded to that location. I’ve been to several cameras and coffee events and liked the vibe those had so thought we could give this a shot.

In terms of equipment, I’m thinking it would be something akin to a potluck - everybody brings one or two items for others to try out - no need to bring your entire stack unless you want. This way, local users could see how their equipment pairs up with equipment they might be considering, e.g., you own an OTL amp and are considering a pair of ZMFs as an upgrade from your HD6XXs.

Please share your thoughts on the usefulness and feasibility of such an event, even if it’s to let me know it’s a horrible idea bound to fail.

Regards,
Vic

9 Likes

sounds interesting. Please post in all the other forums for more traction especially Headfi.

1 Like

I would recommend posting in /r/headphones, Head-Fi, on SBAF (maybe @netforce can help crossposting that one)

More consistent mini meets are always needed!

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m actually not a member of any of those forums/reddits so I would need somebody to spread the word and more importantly, monitor those communities for responses.

I was hoping to keep this fairly low-key as I’m unsure as to how large of a venue we’d need (and any associated participation melt). I’m currently managing an evening event for work this Thursday (not headphone related) and trying to finalize presenters has occupied most of my day.

Regards,
Vic

1 Like

Like the idea. Am in the greater Seattle area and would look forward to joining.

1 Like

The risk of posting this more widely is that the meet could quickly grow beyond the size that the locations you’re considering can accommodate. There is a pent-up demand for local meets since we haven’t had many or any local meets for a while. Even in past years meet size can unimpededly grow beyond what the organizer intended. If you want to keep the meet small you need to keep the invites and announcements small. Otherwise you could suddenly find out you need to rent out a gymnasium to hold the meet.

1 Like

I’m in Renton. I’d be interested in more details!

1 Like

I’m also Seattle area! This could be cool!

1 Like

Thanks for the advice - we’re seeing increased demand in my sector for in person events.

Somebody suggested that I follow the model of DM for invite and I think that’s a good call - I don’t have the funds or logistics support to rent out a basketball arena or student union building.

Regards,
Vic

Perhaps you can look into renting a room in a library? We did that a few times when I was in Colorado.

There are quite a few audio companies in your area like 64 audio and FiR. Perhaps they’d be interested in collating and hosting it in their space.

2 Likes

That’s one of the options I am considering, hence the “community space” location in my original post.

As for 64audio and FIR, they’re near Portland, which is a two and a half hour drive away.

Regards,
Vic

Thanks for clarifying :slight_smile: I’m no Seattle local so everything is “Washington” to me.

1 Like

No worries, for the longest time California was the same way for me - I knew that it was a fairly large state, but I didn’t understand how far certain cites were from each other.

Regards,
Vic

After some behind-the-scenes planning, it looks like the date is Saturday, November 19 is the date that would work the best. Because there are a couple of sporting events that evening, a mid-day event time would accommodate those wishing to also go to the Kraken game but also those wishing to avoid Kraken game traffic.

Please send me a DM if interested. I’ll be meeting with the venue owner this Friday.

Regards,
Vic

The meet will occur on Saturday, November 19, 2022 from 11 am to 3 pm in Kenmore, WA.

The space is a secure space if we choose to go to lunch nearby. There is also a good coffee shop nearby for those requiring caffeine. There is free parking and easy access to mass transit as well.

I will be bringing the Gungnir Multibit and Folkvangr along with required cables. Participants are encouraged to bring items they are willing to let others use at the meet.

Please send me a DM for more information if you plan on attending as space is limited.

Regards,
Vic

3 Likes

I am interested! How do I send dm on this?

1 Like

It will be a little before your PMs unlock, I believe - make a few posts on threads you want to stay involved in and it will eventually unlocked once your trust level is a little higher!

2 Likes

I’ve added you to the DM conversation about the location and gear.

In addition to the Gungnir and Folkvangr, I’ll bring the Bifrost 2 (OG) and Asgard 3 so there are at least two stacks.

Regards,
Vic

1 Like

Would be fun to see @Torq and @TylersEclectic if they are able.

It sounds like it’ll be a lot of fun, but I won’t be able to attend.

I moved from Seattle to Miami, Florida a bit over a year and a half ago, so it’s a bit more of a trek than is practical.

Were I still local, I’d have been there for sure.

4 Likes