New Here? This Is The Spot To Introduce Yourself

This is so well said! :+1:

And same here - spend more on audio last year than in the decade before combined!

2 Likes

Luckily an hobby can take us on the safe side of life.
Iā€™m aware many of us have spent little fortunes in audio gear and it isnā€™t always a good thing (see wife chapter or).
Working in first aid and social assistance to weak people Iā€™ve seen an increase in use of ansiolitics and similar remedies during last year.
IMO a nice new pair of cans is a better option :wink:

3 Likes

And the more hobbies, the safer ā€¦ :thinking:

1 Like

welcome-sunglasses-smiley-emoticon to this weeks new members, enjoy !

Hello and welcome @Condocondor1, @A.Lav, @pankar, @Fatheado and @vebaev.

1 Like

Hello and welcome @ICHJL and @DarthWise72.

1 Like

Welcome to all new members from the last week.

Welcome to all of this weeks new members.

Hello One and All,

IĀ“ve just joined your forum also because visiting the next headphone shop is far away plus I really donĀ“t have a realistic chance of testing equipment I am interested in. As an audiophile neophyte I donĀ“t intend to soley learn from my mistakes, I rather learn from yours / your experience. Should save money and nerves.
After those two videos
Focal Celestee - Live stream
Headphone Tube Amps under $ 1000.-
I actually started reading through a few posts of interest to me.

Many years ago I collected Hip Hop / Rap Vinyl but I couldnĀ“t deal with itĀ“s development around 1995 any longer. Sold all my records, went on a long hiatus but over the last few years I got into music again. I am still in awe of the sound of equipment these days.
Especially considering that my primary, also potentually expensive hobby is cycling, which resticts my ability to get that audio equipment which seems so tempting.
So over the next few years when my legs, lungs and heart will slow me down inevitably I intend to focus more on this ā€œaudio hobbyā€.

greetings from austria, christoph

6 Likes

Thank you for your hospitality.

7 Likes

Thank you @prfallon69 I guess I should really formally introduce myself. Iā€™ve been a growing audiophile since the late 90ā€™s I suppose. Iā€™ve gone down many rabbit holes and as itā€™s been as informative as itā€™s been walker draining!
However, I suppose that comes with the territory.
Iā€™m a big SACD/CD/CD transport and vinyl listener although I do stream for convenience (mostly to see what Iā€™m going to but on SACD, CD or vinyl!).
I live in the D.C. area so I do have a number of hi-fi ships around but COVID has pretty much forced most to go by appt only so socially distanced I am.
Furthermore, as Iā€™m more of a headphones guy the shops have limited pieces for me to experience.
Right now Iā€™m in the market for a logical DAC upgrade from the S.M.S.L. SU-8 V2 that I use so thatā€™s one thing Iā€™d like to solve by getting everyoneā€™s input/thoughts.
My current gear is as follows:

• Audiolab 6000CDT (new)
  • SONY DVP-S9000ES (old)
  • S.M.S.L. SU-8 V2 DAC
  • Topping A90 HP Amp
  • Morrow Audio digital and RCA interconnects
  • Snake Oil XLR cables
  • Focal Clear Pros
  • Hifiman Sundara
  • Audeze LCD-2f

The DACs Iā€™m interested in are the Schiit Bifrost 2, Denifrips Ares II but Iā€™m open minded to any and all feedback!

I like what Iā€™ve heard about R2R DACs but Iā€™ve never heard one in person.
I donā€™t think I like the ESS Sabre DACs but Iā€™m only basing this on my current DAC which I feel has that slight ā€œglareā€ that everyone talks about.

My apologies for the long post.

Looking forward to the conversations everybody!

7 Likes

Welcome @DarthWise72 you have a fine list of gear. There are some very knowledgeable people around the forum and they are always willing to help out. After all thereā€™s nothing more we like than discussing music and of course our gear.

I hear what you are saying about the ESS Sabre Dacs. Though they have got better recently IMHO. I have always been a fan but I can see many will find them fatiguing. My own tastes have changed and evolved over the past year or so and I have begun to appreciate other flavours of sound so to speak.

Looking forward to seeing you around.

3 Likes

Hello and welcome @SHAWN_WATSON.

1 Like

Yes, it is also known as the ESS ā€˜humpā€™. The cause and fix has been determined but it is up to each individual product as to whether they did the fix or not.

2 Likes

Hello from Canada.

Currently enjoying all kinds of music on my Bifrost2, Asgard3 and Focal Clear proā€™s but that upgrade itch has kicked in. Here to read and learn and hopefully make very educated choices.

I also enjoy my 2 channel setup when I can, but love being able to stay up and enjoy music after the girlfriend and kiddo have gone to bed!

8 Likes

Welcome @SnowRang3r great to see you here!

1 Like

Hey and welcome @DarthWise72 ! I can relate, I had that SMSL SU8V2 earlier in my journey and thoroughly didnā€™t like it for that glare quality you mentioned. Like @prfallon69 said itā€™s not necessarily the Sabre chip, but how itā€™s implemented. I now have 3 Sabre based Matrix DACs, one NAD streamer in my 2.1 Channel setup all of them with ESS chips. All have been implemented very well to my ears.

Under 1k, the Bifrost 2 is very popular around here, then you have your AKM Based DACs like the D90 or other similar AKM based DACs and the R2R DAC you mentioned.

Surf the different threads and you will get lots of good info. A few of us also have YouTube channels you can check out too with some info. Again welcome to the great community!

3 Likes

Hey there, and welcome! Glad you were able to catch that video and we are happy to have you over hear with us.

Hey @chrisnyc75 welcome man! We are stoked to have you here with us.

Welcome @Jeff_21 @thevishnu and all our other new members!! Glad you joined us!

4 Likes

Hello and welcome @SnowRang3r, @Rick_Jones and @kadnt06.

5 Likes

Hey thanks for the welcome.

Listening and learning from the Lakepeople G111 from the Bifrost 2 to my Focal Clears. Been enjoying the headphone show and the reviews as well. Recently sold my Elex and upgraded to the Clear and have really been enjoying it. Also bought the Focal Radiance from headphones.com, really nice smooth sounding close-back headphone. Itā€™s not like the clear, but still very enjoyable. I am really curious about hearing more reviews on the Celestee and the new Focal Clear. I know there are a few folks have already commented on them.

Alright back to lurking and listening to the music! :slight_smile:

10 Likes