New Here? This Is The Spot To Introduce Yourself

Welcome! Glad to see another camera and headphones-obsessed member from the greater Seattle area (if your user name refers to Redmond, WA). Currently debating Folkvangr vs D850.

Regards,
Vic

1 Like

Yup, Redmond, WA.

I absolutely love my D850. I have a 24-70mm f/2.8 for general photography, but these days it’s mainly for backyard birds so I usually have a 500mm PF mounted on it. (Sorry that this goes a little off topic). The best part about cameras is that it can make even top-end headphones seem cheap in comparison! :wink:

2 Likes

Welcome! Nice to see you here.

• Simon
2 Likes

Hello and welcome @Lord_White_Wolf.

3 Likes

Welcome! Happy to have you! I hope you enjoy your time here.

3 Likes

Hello and welcome @jacobb3.

3 Likes

Hello and welcome @Sir_Greenwich.

4 Likes

Hello and welcome @duffer5.

5 Likes

TY, glad to be here.

6 Likes

Welcome! Enjoy your time here and don’t hesitate to ask any questions!

2 Likes

Hello and Welcome @Amtfan.

2 Likes

Thank you @SebastienChiu

Hello and welcome @cany, @Rcayn, @LukasTyla, @IcarusIX, @Odo, @Julius, @startechgalaxy, @dietrdeb and @frieddr.

4 Likes

Thanks prfallon69! My name is Jonathan and I’m an audiophile. I was first afflicted in 1985. My parents relocated us from NJ to NC which coincided with my 10th birthday and it was at this major life junction that I was unceremoniously given my first Sharp single cassette tape boombox along with my first cassette, STYX Mr Roboto. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Even at age 10 I knew I hated tape hiss, but I hated the lack of treble caused by Dolby noise reduction even more. I read every Audiophile magazine cover to cover and was quickly using words like sans, eschew, veiled and palpability. My best pair of headphones as a kid earned by cutting grass for money were RadioShack Realistic brand or were they Optimus? It’s not important. I always went for the flagship model which was around $50. We grew up poor so naturally I had to reject my double-wide upbringing by overcompensating and long story short, here I am. I’ll take any questions. Otherwise, I’ll end here by simply saying thanks for having me. I consider myself summitfi because I’m getting to old for this and I’m running out of time. :laughing:

9 Likes

Great story, welcome!
What gear do you own and use today? Those flagships don’t cost $50 anymore don’t they…

3 Likes

Hey orman, and no $50 doesn’t buy much at all these days! :smiling_face_with_tear: I have: Susvaras, HE1000SEs, HE1000V2s, Anandas, Empyreans, and in the past I’ve had the Jade II, Aryas, LCD2/LCD4 and the Raal SR1A. I recently got on the 2023 list for the Zahl HM1A. I have two headphone listening rigs and that sport complete Topping PRE90/EXT90/D90/A90 (Discrete) complete stacks including the new Topping triple steel shelf equipment rack (About time!, took long enough; as an aside if anyone needs the smaller SMSL acrylic shelf equipment racks which won’t accomodate topping 90 sized gear, let me know. I have two that I can’t use.)

I’ve been driving my Susvara with a Pass Labs XA25 amplifier and Holo May KTE DAC, and I also use a SMSL SU10 and their VMV D2 DAC.

I have three separate two channel listening rooms equipped with speakers as well, but my crown jewel are my pair of Legacy Audio whisper speakers.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome @barontan.

3 Likes

Many thanks
New to the game so lots to learn.

3 Likes

Hello and welcome @johhnnnyooops.

2 Likes

Thanks so much, @prfallon69 !

I think I’m still somewhat new to the sport. Despite being firmly middle-aged, I’ve been ripping secure EAC FLACs of mid-century and later jazz for coming on 20 years. Mostly played through Sonos, including through a primary 2-channel system centered around a Creek 5350se, a Rega P6 and a pair of inherited vintage Technics speakers.

Roon, Qobuz, made things easier, and all of a sudden I started my can journey. AKG553 Pros, Sennheiser 598’s when I didn’t have much money. Then on to a schiit jotunheim + Bifrost for my bedside, a Schiit Mjolnir 2 + Gungnir MB for my office (+a TPA3116 Nobsound and a pair of Paradigm Atom v.5’s), finally joined by a Yggdrasil LIM, Freya+, and dual Aegirs powering my KLH Model 5’s. My office Mjolnir rig now runs HD6xx, HE5xx and the Focal Clear OGs that were delivered today and are absolutely lovely. All my headphones have Hart modular cables. Folkvangr inbound. Probably going to pick up a Denafrips Ares II to go with the displaced Mjolnir 2 in my second home office rig. (Oh yeah, my second home has a vintage Kenwood amp powering Vienna Acoustics Hayden’s).

I do go to a fair bit of jazz and classical concerts, and off late my teenage daughter has been kind enough to invite me along to a number of pop concerts in the last year, so I’m doing my best to protect my hearing so I can keep enjoying my 2-channel and can rigs.

Oh yeah, and I just got into IEMs - Fiio Q3, Dunu Titan S, Moondrop Kato, 7Hz Timeless. Going to pick up a Moondrop Variations for AliExpress 11.11.

So yeah, a lot going on.

10 Likes