Off Topic : Complaints Thread

State College PA has fleets of modern snowplows that whisk the roads clean starting from the first flake.

Lancaster county, not so much.
I think the above is photoshopped.
The one below, probably not.

3 Likes

Everywhere in Chicagoland (random image examples). These come out every winter and sit in the backyard or garage for the rest of the year (e.g., 9 months of use and just a 3 month break… :crazy_face:):

2 Likes

Yes they will, and the days we get hit with proper snow the metro amd freeways are locked up. One year, I took the metro out of DC to VA as I usually do, I then transfer via bus to my home. No buses arrived, ended up having to walk through 2ft of snow in full suit, dress shoes. Took me two hours, I live 5 miles from my office…

5 Likes

Black Friday Spam
Must have had 300 pieces that made it through the spam filters. Most annoying are the several a day that I have been getting for “Alejandro” about his desire to complete online classes and get a degree. Most interesting was advertising “gorgeous Russian brides”. I guess they’re safe if they are already married. I did not click on the optional extra pictures. Just deleted it with the rest.

And where do they forge those curious sender names, and who would pay to register some of the weird amalgams of words used for domains. Not all can be hacked, some had to be purpose built.

Spam spam spam.

Which mail service? Mine has been relatively clean.

New complaint:

Can we make 20 characters 15 characters instead?

At least that way saying “You’re welcome.” isn’t immediately followed up by “20 characters”.

5 Likes

:point_up_2:t4::point_up_2:t4::point_up_2:t4::point_up_2:t4::point_up_2:t4::point_up_2:t4::point_up_2:t4::point_up_2:t4::point_up_2:t4::point_up_2:t4::point_up_2:t4::point_up_2:t4::point_up_2:t4::point_up_2:t4::point_up_2:t4:

3 Likes

Doesn’t much matter. My two main email addresses are decades no, scores of years old. AOL and Comcast. I have a couple of other addresses that are newer, far less used, and far less plagued.

1 Like

I’d Like to Complain
ABOUT VERIZON
And landlines. Yes, I’m a fossil, apparently married to a fossilette. So we have a landline. Our home security uses it as a backup. Landlines are still more reliable than Comcast Internet and even more reliable than the electric grid. I can’t recall the last time a landline failed here. It’s been at least 30 years. Oh wait, there was a squirrel eating the line incident, but it didn’t actually fail, but got very static(adverb y) so the line coming into the house was replaced. (with 6 pair… but that’s another story).

Maybe 20 or so years ago, AT&T, my landline provider, sold it’s lines to Verizon and rented them back. I’ve been on a plan for at least 30 years called “Reach Out Pennsylvania” from AT&T, which gives me flat rate calling in the whole state, across all LATAs. (area codes in the state). Due to a quirk in regulatory horseturds, in-state calls are not federally regulated, so it gives landline companies free reign to charge more for in-state long distance than Nationwide interstate calling. This plan, which included nationwide calling solved the in-state problem also. At the end it was $60 bucks all told per month for the landline, and all calls in the US.

AT&T decided that it was no longer profitable for them to do landline business in PA. They sent notice and many voice mails saying that we had to get another service by May 3 if we wanted to keep our number. In mid April, I called Verizon to have them port my number and continue the land line. They are the only game in town. (Yes I could get some voip service or Comcast triple play, it’s not a frickin’ land line).

They wrote up the order, the basic nationwide calling plan was $90 all told. I’m a Verizon cell customer for 20 years with no late pays, but they STILL had to do a CREDIT CHECK. I was told that I’d be switched over that Friday, and that I would have to be home in case a tech needed to get in the house…

The next day, I had a text from VZ, saying that they had a problem with my order and I needed to call them. I did. They had written it up as “new service” and not a “win-back order” which is what would let them port my number which I’ve had since January of 1980. They did some stuff and had me do a 3rd party verification that it was OK to port my number. I asked if they really needed me at home on Friday, and they said probably not, but they would check and call back.

Friday came and no call back. I called in when they opened and someone said that they did not think there was any need - it should be a flip of a switch at the office since I had a good phone line. This was April 30. I tried to set up their stupid myFIOS app and couldn’t. I called and got “you may not be a Verizon customer…” I call them.

After being batted around for about 1.5 hours and they can’t find my order or diddly squat, I finally get to a 2nd level supervisor that tells me everything will be OK, that they will get my line by May 2 and not to worry. My phone is working normally on May 3 and 4 after AT&T “exited PA” so I figure everything is jake.

Still can’t set up myFios. May 12th or so I get a bill from AT&T. I can’t find a way to cancel auto-pay online. I call AT&T, and they tell me that the bill is real because I’m still an AT&T customer. VZ had so much trouble switching over all the lines that AT&T was staying an extra 30 days to give them time. So my phone line was still AT&T. I cancel auto-pay.

I call VZ. I get the not a customer. I get someone and they can’t find my order. Up a level they find my order was “deleted”. I have to put in a NEW order. And they want to do ANOTHER credit check. When I screamed, they waived that. Did the new order. Made sure it was a winback order. Made sure they were going to port my number. Was given a new date for the switch.

Date comes. Still unable to get myFios to work, although it lets me log in. I get snail mail from VZ saying that I had authorized faceID and fingerprint ID on myFIOS app… But when I call, it still says I’m not a customer. Another series of calls, and an assurance that it will be done.

Early June. My phone stops working. No dial tone. I waste more time at work - VZ’s “customer service hours” are from 8 AM to 7 PM, but if you call at 6:30 you get shuffled around until 7 when the call is dropped. Even Comcast has better hours.

I’m told that my SECOND order was ALSO deleted. AT&T said that VZ had my number. I called a VOIP provider. They also said that VZ had my number. Call my home, and it says the number is not in service. I’m told that I MUST do a THIRD ORDER. At this point my goal is to keep my number. I do. They want ANOTHER CREDIT CHECK. I squawk and am able to so an alternate verification which involves faxing or emailing my driver’s license for ID. After that’s approved I call the number they gave and completed the order. After putting down the phone I get a nagging feeling. That last “agent” also told me I needed to be home for a tech - just like the first one did. I told him I had a line, and he said he changed it to an office change with no visit. But it bugged me.

So I called back and demanded a supervisor. Eventually got to one. She verified the order. And they were going to activate my line WITH A NEW NUMBER!!! It had NOT been put in as a “winback” order. This supervisor fixed it, and apparently they had not yet released my number into the great recycler.

Two days later, my phone service came back. With the correct number. That was yesterday.
In the meantime, I’d called my security company, and found that they can put in a cellular data card as a backup (internet is primary) means of notifying them instead of using a landline.

The cost of 3rd party VOIP, PLUS the change to the security system is about $700-800 per year LESS than paying VZ for the POTS line. And there is no contract. My wife and I have determined we don’t want to pay VZ any more (well the cell service is OK) so I ordered a VOIP service today. When I have it set up, I’ll have them port my number over post haste. I figure I had to do VZ for a month or whatever to avoid losing that number. My 93 year old parents know that number. And a few people from where Barbara’s parents came from.

If I EVER get so incompetent and give such poor service, I deserve to be shot. It took all told, about 20 hours of my time and 16 calls to Verizon (plus 3 to AT&T) for what should have been a simple phone line switch.

Did I mention that I’d like to complain?
ABOUT VERIZON

6 Likes

Phone companies. :nauseated_face::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::nauseated_face:. I always have problems with my Mobile company “Three”. 3 always make me jump through hoops when dealing with them. But once everything is renewed then I have no issues whatsoever.

I feel your pain my friend.

1 Like

Odd, Never had an issue with my VZ cell service or account and I’ve been with them since 2000. I have more issues with my Spectrum internet. But like everything these days, customer service has been impacted by layoffs, workers working from home, short staff, no staffs etc… But NO EXCUSE for poor customer service regardless of the situation.

“If you have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything at all.”

My comments on Verizon: __________________________

That’s all. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Ok, so I recently did my taxes and received a 1099k from PayPal for selling items online (here and eBay). In four states at the moment, VA, MD, VT, and I believe MA you receive 1099k on your yearly total of $600 or more sold. So I received a 1099k and filed it as a loss. No problem, move on, right? Nope lol. My county wanted me to file for a business license. I said nope, its not a business. I sell things I no longer use for a loss. They said well if you do it a lot thats a business. I said no, it’s a hobby lol.
So basically if I sell over $600 worth of things via PayPal this year (2021) they’ll send another 1099k and my county said they’ll make me file for a business license in 2021-22. Guess I’ll take on that fight next year and see what happens.
This is just a heads up. It’s coming to more states and PayPal will be an afterthought imo. I’ll no longer use PayPal to sell anything unless it’s family and friends.
Rant over lol

4 Likes

Oh and here’s the kicker. If you sold something and then they ask for a refund and you send them the money back…that’s still on the 1099k. Clown world!

1 Like

Well, I think I’m with you. Here’s what the IRS says:

Question

How do you distinguish between a business and a hobby?

Answer

In making the distinction between a hobby or business activity, take into account all facts and circumstances with respect to the activity. A hobby activity is an activity not done for profit. This includes activities done mainly for sport, recreation, or pleasure. No one factor alone is decisive. You must generally consider these factors in determining whether an activity is a business engaged in making a profit:

• Whether you carry on the activity in a businesslike manner and maintain complete and accurate books and records.
  • Whether you have personal motives in carrying on the activity.
  • Whether the time and effort you put into the activity indicate you intend to make it profitable.
  • Whether you depend on income from the activity for your livelihood.
  • Whether your losses are due to circumstances beyond your control (or are normal in the startup phase of your type of business).
  • Whether you or your advisors have the knowledge needed to carry on the activity as a successful business.
  • Whether you were successful in making a profit in similar activities in the past.
  • Whether the activity makes a profit in some years and how much profit it makes.
  • Whether you can expect to make a future profit from the appreciation of the assets used in the activity.

You may find more information on this topic in section 1.183-2(b) of the Federal Tax Regulations.

Additional Information

Publication 535, Business Expenses

Category

Small Business, Self-Employed, Other Business

Sub-Category

Income & Expenses

4 Likes

I’ve been having some fun with Monoprice. On Saturday the 23rd, I ordered a monitor stand (to place my tube amps above my Schiit Mjolnir 1 and my Bifrost 2).

The monitor stand arrived on Wednesday but was poorly packaged such that there was an opening in the corner. Of course, the package was missing two of the legs, all four threaded pins (to attach the legs to the glass), and the foot pads.

I asked if the missing pieces could be sent to me. This was not possible. So, I requested a replacement monitor stand. I was told I had to return the monitor stand they’d sent me and that, once Monoprice received it, it would take 8-10 business days to send out a replacement.

This was unacceptable. I asked why I would have to wait several weeks to receive what I had originally ordered. I received an apology and Monoprice kindly Fedex’d me a replacement, which arrived this morning.

Once again, the packaging was not completely or securely sealed. And, shock horror, some parts were missing again. This time, I did not receive two of the four threaded pins.

What this means is that I am unable to assemble a single monitor stand from the two they sent me.

I have two of the two glass plates, six out of the eight legs, one out of the two sets of foot pads, and two out of the eight threaded pins.

I try not to swear on forums. But, seriously, %$^&%#$$#$%@!(&)*%@!!!

6 Likes

Tis the Season

• That Amazon Prime shows Delivery December 22 or 23rd
  • You purchase the item in your cart
  • You get an email saying your order has been received
  • Then you get one saying it will arrive December 29 to January 9th.
4 Likes

Good old logical logistics always rule in the end

Corporate idiocy. Legal and compliance department has caused the fancy printers we have to be unable to print an address on a single envelope. Open tray 1 door, and there is clearly an embossed icon of an envelope showing proper way to insert.

Go to Word. Blank Document. Layout as business envelope, Write address. Go to printer. Tell printer to feed from Tray 1 with envelope has been placed.

Nothing.
Wait.
Look at display.

It’s telling me to feed sheets of labels into Tray 1 (Tray 2 holds a ream of regular paper).

Call Helpdesk, They can’t help, tell me to call marketing. Marketing? F-it. I reformat, print the address on a page, cut out the address, put on glue and stick it on my envelope and mail. I did not want the USPS to have to read my handwriting.

Call Marketing. Apparently Compliance wants us to use labels. Not individual labels, but like the nice automated lists we can easily create of clients and prospects.

But wait. I wasn’t sending to a client or prospect. I was sending a one off to a company with an inquiry from a client. Just like we can create a FAX memo and fax such inquiries. Or go on the phone and hold for an hour and fifteen minutes for a drone in a southeast asian customer “service” farm to try and answer “Hello, My name is Debashish, but you can call me Will Smith”.

They deliberately blocked being able to do a one off envelope. If that’s not compliant, must I cut off my hand because I could hand-write an address? Back in 1980, we had a printer that was attached directly to a keyboard. If we typed on the keyboard, it produced that letter on the printer. I even liked it. It was called an IBM Selectric Mark II correcting Typewriter. Great invention. Letter-quality printing too. I used to actually use the manual paper feed with an envelope and address it easily. I guess that’s probably a prohibited machine now.

3 Likes

On the topic of b*tching about printers…

HP, in their modern wisdom, now needs a specific software on a PC for it to scan (and also print from certain programs). The way the software works is the the document you scan is sent to the HP cloud and then from the cloud to your PC (or vice versa).

Guess what, if the internet goes down, no scanning or printing :man_facepalming:

(And that’s without even considering the fact that we are literally sending a copy of every document in the company to HP’s servers)

4 Likes