Off-topic: Food (on topic if pairing with music ;) )

That looks good asf!

2 Likes

Some salmorejo for dinner tonight. A kind of gazpacho from Andalusia, it’s a thicker version of the soup, made with plenty of bread, a generous amount of olive oil, and tomatoes that have been blanched before everything gets whizzed in the food processor.

Mine’s not all that authentic - for one thing, I tend to get a bit carried away with the garnish, as you can see.

8 Likes

That looks delicious!

I love olives. :yum:

3 Likes

Full recipe please. I’m a gazpacho fan, but mine is much more Castilla la vieja. I used to be a bit of a Lazarillo in Mom’s kitchen, sneaking tastes of her gazpacho. As she was a portion cook, this never ended well.

5 Likes

Here you go: the recipe’s pretty straightforward; the key is to use good, ripe tomatoes (since there are so few ingredients), and to blanch and skin them (this gives the salmorejo its color, and is essential to the flavor). Please excuse the imprecise weights and measures. I’m not being coy, it’s just that the you can keep adjusting the amounts until you get the consistency and flavor you want.

1. blanch, core, and skin a couple of pounds of tomatoes. Add them to the bowl of a food processor.
  2. add a couple of hefty glugs of olive oil (say 3-5 tablespoons), along with some salt and a several cracks of black pepper
  3. add a teaspoon or two of balsamic vinegar (sweeter balsamic glazes also work well)
  4. add some crusty if not stale bread, ideally a baguette (probably about 6-8 inches’ worth)
  5. whizz the whole lot until you get the right consistency and the soup’s nice and smooth and creamy.

It should be pretty viscous, thick enough to stick to the spoon (and support the garnishes); not so runny that it could be drunk like a beverage. It improves with a day in the fridge. And that’s it.

You can add more bread to make it thicker or, conversely, more olive oil or some water. You might sometimes see garlic in recipes for salmorejo. I avoid it. I find its taste too strong for what otherwise is a nice, sweet and subtle flavor. And you won’t see the balsamic vinegar or glaze in a Spanish recipe. Being an unashamed pícaro (amazing that the movie’s on youtube - thank you!), I love salmorejo as a topping on grilled pork chop tacos, sliced and served with some cotija cheese and green onion on a flour tortilla. I’m sure Mexicans and Spaniards alike would be rightly appalled.

7 Likes

Breakfast Burritos for brunch and Nachos with grilled chix thighs for dinner. Fresh mango/pineapple salsa, fresh tomato salsa, and last but not least fresh chunky & spicy guacamole. After 3 weeks of self isolation I finally ran out of fresh ingredients and went out shopping the other day. I hit up a small Latin market early in the AM so concoctions will have a hint of Iatin and asian flavor the next few weeks :grimacing:

8 Likes

That looks sooo goood!!! Damn! I need to step up my burrito game! lol

3 Likes

Nice!.. :yum:

3 Likes

You don’t happen to have a day job as a food photographer, do you?

5 Likes

Today’s mood

6 Likes

My wife cooked us some pork tacos tonight

with corn, crema, and pickled shallot and jalapeños

and they were mighty fine.

What I shouldn’t confess to is…
that we cheated - they’re from one of those meal-kit delivery companies…

8 Likes

Nice!

I call that soul food. :yum:

1 Like

Dutch oven pot-roast. Been working non-stop past 5 days and i NEEDED something hearty and home cooked.

9 Likes

Because with a name like Weenie Beenie it has to be good…or retro…

9 Likes

Looks good…! :+1:t4:

1 Like

woooot! Yes! LOL looks good. missing the beer though! HA!
LOL :smiley:

3 Likes

Oh man! that looks awesome.

2 Likes

Oh drool, are those red hots, hot dogs or sausages? It almost doesn’t matter, I’m drooling while simultaneously clutching my chest from the heart attack that would cause me… :+1:

3 Likes

In the Washington, DC area these are known as half-smokes.

They are sold in many places, with Ben’s Chili Bowl being the most famous.

2 Likes

Ah shit, I knew it was familiar, I’ve done a yelp review of that exact place, it’s been a long while…

2 Likes