Schiit Asgard 3 - Official Thread

I had the same concern prior to buying it. However, it works fine in both directions (except for with my speaker amp when I go in the opposite direction, which has some error detection features). The SYS works great for me with no noticeable negative impact to sound quality.

3 Likes

Yeah, I like them. They seem to be sonically transparent so I’m happy. Plus, they’re relatively inexpensive so that’s always a plus.

2 Likes

Is the Asgard 3 “warm“ enough to make it a good pairing with the Hifiman Ananda?

I haven’t heard the Ananda on the Asgard 3, but I would think so. Even warmer would be the Asgard 2 that is frequently on B-stock.

1 Like

I just ordered the Asgard 2. Thanks.

1 Like

You bet and hope it works out.

Bpcarb - I’m sorry but I Inadvertently said Asgard 2 and what I meant to say was Fulla 2. Again, thanks. Michael.

1 Like

As a passive device, the SYS doesn’t care if you hook it up backwards, with 1 input and 2 outputs.

I seem to recall reading that the volume control wasn’t fully effective in that configuration, and so full volume was recommended. Using the SYS in that config w/o using the volume makes it effectively a switch rather than a working preamp, but sometimes that’s what’s needed to connect all your parts. In my case, I already had an unused SYS on the shelf, and it worked fine.

(Until, as seems inevitable, I changed my hardware, and returned the SYS to standby status. It seems likely that it will be called to duty again in the future, due to some connectivity issues with yet more new hardware. The SYS is a handy piece of kit, I actually have 2 of them. Tweedleplum & Tweedleflam, I call them, as I can’t pronounce their actual given faux-Viking-era names. That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it.)

5 Likes

I am thinking of getting multibit Asgard 3 for my Audeze LCD-2f. I have xDuoo TA10 now, but not sure if A3 would be an upgrade, from DAC and amp perspective?

What’s your budget? I do think Asgard 3 would be an upgrade from an amp perspective

2 Likes

Was hoping for up to 500$, but not sure whats the “sweet spot” for LCD2f, how good amp/dac do they deserve and how good that headphone scales.
If there’s some better amp than A3 that would be worth waiting for or getting second hand, I can do that, since Audeze works nice with xDuoo TA10 (just never tried any other amp).

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I have the LCD2-Classic and drive it out of a Magni 3. This little amp drives it well enough. But I’ve read that this headphone benefits from a much beefier amp.

I’ve seen people recommend the Lyr 3. I realize this isn’t exactly the same headphone as your LCD2f but it might be close enough to draw inferences - do please look into it yourself, though, and don’t take my word for this pairing being good.

I can’t vouch for this directly but over on sbaf, one of the members has posted in the Lyr 3 thread that he really likes the “lcd2c+lyr3 (currently TS 6sn7geb) combination. Makes me just happily listen to music for hours…” (post 387). He also writes: “LCD2C (note: Revealed) and Lyr 3 show awesome synergy” (post 444), and, finally, he mentions the “magical synergy of Lyr 3 + LCD2C” (post 642).

If I decide to upgrade my amp for the LCD2-C I’m certainly going to think very carefully about the Lyr 3.

4 Likes

I have an A3 and it performs well as my solid state amp. I don’t have experience with the LCD. If your budget permits, I’d recommend getting a separate DAC as opposed to a combined/built-in module. I’ve compared both the Asgard 3 and Lyr 3 with separates versus combined. The separates sound more open with less congestion and slightly more dynamics and detail.

For less than $500, you could get the A3 with the Modius or Modi Multibit. I slightly prefer and own the Modi Multibit, but others prefer the Modius with Unison USB and balanced.

1 Like

I don’t want to have 2 power adapters for amp/dac using 2 sockets, so having 1 device is important. A3 can come with Multibit module, which is quite good and would have to upgrade to something much more expensive for better sound.
They say A3 is quite close to Lyr 3 and sometimes really hard to tell the difference, which says a lot about A3, in my opinion.
But, based on the price which is quite low for A3, does this mean A3 is among best in 200-300$ range, or A3 is good enough for LCD2 and I reached the point of diminishing returns?

1 device vs 2 devices: there are tradeoffs (similar to most things audio) and we each make decisions based on different priorities. A separate Schiit DAC was $50 more than combined if I recall, but you may be referring to a much more expensive combined unit.

The A3 is close to the Lyr 3 with stock tubes. I don’t have experience with the Lyr 3 with upgraded tubes. For reference, I have a Vali 2. I’ve noticed improved sound in going to a $25 and then $100 tube.

The A3 is among one of the best values in audio. Another is the Vali 2 with upgraded tube; I haven’t heard the new Vali 2+ but based on impressions I likely lean more toward the Vali 2’s more laid back and warm sound.

I don’t have experience with the LCD2 with A3/V2. I don’t remember ever hearing that the A3 compromised the LCD2.

1 Like

To be precise, I am looking for a good wide stage and depth. I saw some reviews where they said Mangi/Modi level gear gives enough power but going up the range to something like Lyr you get more depth and better stage. Wondering now, has A3 that flat stage, or I have to get something more expensive?

The main differences between the V2 and A3 are stage, holography, and texture which can be expected in going to tubes - with the A3 being more flat to my ear, and tighter bass in the low end.

The V2 with Amperex type 6922 tube is my default recommendation for a standalone amp at $250 or less. Thus, you might not need to go to the Lyr 3 but the V2 requires a separate DAC.

I’m uncertain about the V2 and LCD2 pairing, but being a hybrid it may be sufficient.

At this price point, stage is usually yielded by tubes. Others like the Cavalli Tube Hybrid, but no DAC.

1 Like

V2 is Valhalla 2? Valhalla needs at least 100 ohm or more headphones, LCD2 is 70ohms so probably not a good match

For me in this context, V2 equals Vali 2. An upgraded Vali 2+ was released in the last month.

I would agree that Valhalla 2 OTL may not be as good a pairing.

Vali 2 is a tube hybrid. Hybrids tend to be more versatile and easier to pair compared to OTLs.

2 Likes

Thanks for info, so looks like Vali 2 with good tubes and Multibit DAC could be a good match with LCD2f, maybe better than A3+MB DAC!

1 Like