The buying experience Thread good or bad

Cool dope cable guys personal recs…

5 Likes

I had a conversation with the owner of HifiGo store about this as it seems he was also aware you posted this on other forums as well. It seems like he may have accidentally clicked and changed the Moondrop S8 price and marked it down on accident but quickly changed it back to the real sale price for their 2 day special, which is pricing dictated by Moondrop due to their MAP contract. They can not advertised prices below MAP just like other stores cannot on brands due to their contractual restrictions. I think @taronlissimore can probably explain it better than I can. Anyway, seems like you may have gotten there just in the minutes that he realized his mistake and changed it back.

2 Likes

I had a buying experience some years ago that still ticks me off whenever I am reminded of it, as this thread has done.

A prominent head-fi-er, who at the time did a lot of reviews and such and was highly visible … and still is … put a well-used Senn-800 up for sale for $150. I inquired, agreed to the price, got his paypay account, and sent the money.

Happy day, happy day.

15 minutes later I got an email saying “I’ve sold them to somebody else, I’m refunding your money.” And did.

I did a polite version of “WTF???”

His reply, approximately: “The other guy has more reputation. I’ve made my decision. Bye.”

All my other transactions on various headphone-centric Used-For-Sale forums have been smooth & wonderful. (Small sample.)

10 Likes

I bought a pair of Hifiman Sundaras from AudioVisionSF and it was a terrible experience. The person I interacted with was very deceptive.

I ordered over the phone for a pair of ‘open-box’ Sundara’s. I originally intended to order a pair new, but they were out of stock and the employee offered these. Uncertain, asked about the condition. His answer was re-assuring “They are in mint condition. Look, we rely on repeat customers; so it does no good to you, it does no good to me, if you aren’t satisfied.”

I bought them and he said he would ship them the next day and send me an email receipt that afternoon. He forgot to send me the receipt. He didn’t send them the next day.

Needless to say they weren’t mint and now the story was buyer beware and no returns. I will never do business with them again. Great headphone, terrible experience.

4 Likes

The buying experience: Mundane

I recently purchased the Koss Porta Pro Black from Amazon for Prime Day. The price was discounted so I couldn’t lose – able to resell and maybe even at a higher price. My purchase experience was as follows:

• Searched for “Koss Porta Pro” in the text box
  • Found the product listed at $19.99
  • Selected “Add to cart”
  • Reviewed my credit card and shipping information
  • Selected “Buy”
  • Waited two days
  • Received a package from Amazon
  • Opened the shipping box with my Spyderco Delica knife
  • Grabbed my tablet to take a photo for the “What’s in the Box?” thread
  • Opened the Koss box and removed the Porta Pro Black
  • Plugged the Porta Pro Black into my audio source
  • Started a recorded music track
  • Listened to music with my ears
  • Smiled
  • Posted a photo of the Koss box on Headphones.com

Just lightening the mood y’all.

13 Likes

That’s too funny, with all the suspense you were building up there, I was worried you were going to say that something was horribly wrong. I’m glad it wasn’t!

2 Likes

I thinks it all you prime day purchasers that has my VO stuck at customs!!

1 Like

Just noticed that SPL has 2 new amps in their new Series One category -

https://spl.audio/en/product/phonitor-one-d/

Phonitor One ( available) and Phonitor One d (available soon). The d has a DAC.

In shopping for the One I saw that Audio46 had it available for $499 and Sweetwater has the same amp - the “One” not the “d”- for $699.

I have no idea why there would be such a discrepancy but if you’re looking to be an early adopter just be aware of the difference in pricing.

4 Likes

It’s most likely just a mix-up. The back-end SKUs for a lot of these products tends to be a jumble of made up letters and numbers so all it takes is one SKU mix-up and the price to show up wrong.

I’m just happy the Phonitor One only comes in black! Makes carrying it a lot easier when there’s only 2 SKUs instead of the Phonitor X and XE which is 2 amps but 12 SKUs total.

5 Likes

3 colors, with and without DAC = 6 each, I’m assuming.

4 Likes

The "D’ for $699 US, is shown on a couple other sites as well. .The non D is shown as 499. on Hi-fi Heaven and Front End Audio. Sweet water must have a mix up . It happens/. Nice amps…
From Audio64

4 Likes

Medical coders have the same problem.
A few years ago I had a routine procedure done in a hospital. They billed me for labor and delivery. Turns out they swapped one number in the procedure code.

1 Like

I reached out to Sweetwater and received a reply. They said that the prices they show - $699 for the One and $899 for the One d - are the correct prices. Strange.

1 Like

Hmm unless they have some retail pricing that isn’t available to any other dealer the pricing on the One is
$499 and One D is $699.

3 Likes

I think you were right when you said they made a mistake on entering the SKU’s. The guy who responded to my letter probably didn’t even check. Makes me question buying anything from them in the future. Certainly not without checking other retailers first.

2 Likes

I sent Sweetwater an email with the SPL website info on the price which is EURO and other US sites that also sell the same product at the correct Euro to dollar conversion price. So weird.

2 Likes

Got my reply from Sweetwater and they noted the prices will be adjusted to the correct amount for both the Phonitor One and the One with D. I checked the site and the prices have been adjusted. Always like these guys to do the right thing.

3 Likes

Well then he should have come on here and responded to him himself. That would have made more sense.

You were right and he was just…over the top on this one.

This is ridiculous. You go to far.