The General Advice/Questions Thread

Looking for recommendations on a good DAP that wont brake the bank. About 600 dollars is the budget. Looking for something that has EQ capabilities.

Thank you!

Itā€™ll somewhat depend on what you want to drive with it.

I enjoyed the A&K SR15, which is usually $699, but thereā€™s one for $549 on headphones.com at the moment. Itā€™s deceptively tiny, as well ā€¦ which is a good thing in general. Thereā€™s a thread on it, here.

The FiiO M11 Pro is decent, as well. Though Iā€™d take the A&K over it, especially if the primary use-case is for IEMs. FiiO tend to have really interesting hardware, that is sometimes (quite often with the prior generations) let down by firmware/software issues, so itā€™s worth doing some reading there.

Beyond that, again, it depends very much on what you want to drive with it. If itā€™s IEMs there are lots of less expensive, feature-rich, options. If itā€™s full-size cans, then herd thins rapidly.

2 Likes

Thanks @Torq., Yes is going to be IEMā€™s. Ill check out the A&K SR15.

How long does your honeymoon period usually last? Iā€™m two months into mine with the Focal Clear. Am I just besotted, or is it true love?

4 Likes

The Clears are an excellent headphone.

4 Likes

Iā€™m currently using DH Lab Redwave cables with Furutech FI-50 connectors. I am getting DH Labs Corona cables with Watgate Blue Dot gold connectors. Which cables would be better? The DH Lab Redwave with the better connectors or the better Corona DH Lab cable with the lesser quality but still decent Watgate Blue Dot gold connectors?

That should be almost 3 months by now. How is the honeymoon going? Or something has happened?

2 Likes

Youā€™re entirely right, after three months the infatuation really should be over, and I suspect whatā€™s happened is that the honeymoon has morphed into marital bliss. Weā€™ve not had any arguments yet :grinning:. As it happens, Iā€™ve been thinking about writing up some impressions, in part to help me appreciate better what there is to love about the Clear.

Iā€™ll say this right now, though, without much hesitation: the descriptions of the Clear as great all-rounders are exactly right. Iā€™ve enjoyed them with a wide range of musical styles and instruments. For me, theyā€™re a significant step up from my HD 6XX. I understand the Sennheisers scale well, but I donā€™t have a high-end amp, and the Focal have none of the veiled - or muffled - quality of the HD 6XX. Rather, they have a sweet, clean sound, even as theyā€™re punchy and extend fairly deeply into the bass, but Iā€™m mainly in love with the treble extension and smoothness as well as the resolution. The fairly narrow headstage doesnā€™t bother me as much as Iā€™d expected (this had held me back from purchasing a pair sooner), and Iā€™ve been surprised at how close they come to the HD 800 in being wonderful for listening to classical music. I suspect part of the Clearā€™s appeal is the nice synergy with my source and amp: I have the Massdrop stack of the Airist RDAC and the MCTH (stock tube, no linear power supply), and I think this combination strikes a nice balance. @Torq described the RDAC as having a sweetness to its sound, and its slightly dark signature seems to pair well with the amp and with the Clear.

In other words, my Clear and I have had a lovely, extended honeymoon in a happy place, thanks for asking!

[edited for typos - sorry]

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback.

The Clears are currently on my shopping list. Better start a dedicated piggy bank for this. :speak_no_evil:

2 Likes

Question please re portable DAP.

I have c75,000 largely lossy files (I am afraid I started years ago copying cds using iTunes). I want a player that can carry all 75,000 and function effectively. Is there such a device? Fiio X5iii is the best I have found so far but is a bit flakey. A&K SR15 not capable - lovely machine but (although none of the press or specs say this) I have now found out from A&K their devices are only proofed to 10,000 files. In practice it can handle c50,000 files before functionality drops.

I appreciate most people on here will despair at someone using largely lossy files but I havenā€™t got the time to go through the lot and re do and of course there is a massive trade off between file size and quality. I listen to music on the DAP mainly on the go so even with really good noise cancelling headphones (Bowers and Wilkins PX) or in ears (Sony WF1000xm3) the subtle quality differences become less noticeable (at which point many reading this will probably give up on me as a philistine!!) :grinning: :grinning:
Nevertheless any recommendations gratefully receivedā€¦

1 Like

Anyone know of any music visualizers for Mac either as plugin or app? I donā€™t mean an audio analyzer. I mean something pretty to look at while I listen to music. The only ones I can find are on the App Store look super cheesy with appropriately low customer ratings.

2 Likes

Curious question: For folks who have used moon 430HA headphone amp, what volume setting were you typically at? Iā€™m using Focal Clears with balanced input/output and stay around 20.

What cell phones are compatible with Beyerdynamic MMX Gaming Headset Mark II?

The microphone does not work with Samsung Galaxy A20. All Beyerdynamic Australia will tell me is that it works with the latest Apple iphone. I want suggestions for a reasonably cheap Au $250 to Au $400 phone that works with it. Beyerdynamic say most phones will work with it. But some phones have non standard wiring and wonā€™t work with it, and they donā€™t have a list of phones that work with it.

I just got a new pair of Susvaras, and Iā€™m trying several different HP amps with them.

But this makes NO sense to me. The sound I like best is from a Little Dot mk3 !! Itā€™s an OTL amp, so thatā€™s not even supposed to work with low-impedance cans. And it only puts out 200mw, but seems to have plenty, as I only listen at around 85-90 dB (1.5-15 mw needed for the Susvara at those levels). Bass even sounds quite good. How can that be?

I also tried a couple of amps that put out 1.5-4 watts (one hybrid and one SS), but keep going back to the Little Dot.

That flies in the face of everything Iā€™ve read about the Susvaras. What am I missing here???

2 Likes

Your probably not missing anything. Its an ā€œear of the listenerā€ situation. That Little Dot is meeting your expectations compared to the other amps youā€™ve auditioned so far. My OTL HP amp works optimally with 300 ohm loads yet it had no issue with the 80 ohm Utopia and 32 ohm Oppo PM-1ā€™s when I owned both of them.

Eventually you could try your Susvara with another amp design that gives you a little more of what you want sonically but until then continue to trust your ears.

And welcome to the community.

2 Likes

Itā€™s a case of an amplifier affecting the sound of a headphone in a way that is to your liking.

There is no right and wrong in terms of taste, if your ears tells you it sounds good, then it sounds good!

4 Likes

Why does the little dot sound better? Hmmmā€¦

Grabs my soapbox

I was watching Andrew, Tyler and Chrono on YouTube today, and Andrew said something that, in hindsight, triggered me a little. Something along the lines of Product X is more ā€œidealā€ but product Y sounds better. (I donā€™t recall the specifics.)

Butā€¦ If product Y sounds better, why is X considered more ideal, and by inference thereby better? I find the entire notion absurd.

I think this is an example of how we are influenced by overly simplified ideals, such as the pervasive mentality that only good measuring gear can equal good sound. Iā€™ll bet the A&S Mogwai or ZMF Pendant measures like crap on other siteā€™s measurements scales, but itā€™s still a damn good sounding amplifier.

People seem to acknowledge that tubes sound good and give them a pass where measurements are concerned, which points out the hypocritical nature of the measurements are everything ideology.

If only good measuring products can sound goodā€¦ and tubes donā€™t measure well at allā€¦ then no amplifier that uses tubes can sound good. Thatā€™s either true or itā€™s not, right?

(That, by the way, is an example of Sophism - a failed and dangerous method of rationalization, and one that many use to push their agendas in this hobby.)

My whole point here is that ā€œidealā€ in this hobby is often times very arbitrary - because people arenā€™t measurement rigs that are devoid of bias and preference.

If all of us were measurement rigs, then no, you arenā€™t supposed to enjoy it. :wink:

To answer the question though, perhaps the damping factor between the Little Dot and Susvara is adding some harmonics or looseness to the sound that you find enjoyable? Maybe the natural harmonics of tubes just works for you? It could even be that the tone of a warmer OTL synergizes well with the frequency response of the headphone. Iā€™m not sure it matters.

The only thing that matters is that you like it, as the gentlemen before me have already said. :slight_smile:

Enjoy!

(Not trying to pick on you Andrew. I totally got what you meant on the stream, and Iā€™m taking it a little out of context here. Sorry mate.)

9 Likes

You just like (that specific type of) distortion. Admit it. If you want to gourmetize, maybe you can probably say ā€œI like added harmonics given by the Little Dot mk3 with my Susvarasā€. :wink:

The real question to be answered ā€“ in my humble opinion ā€“ is, what frequency range(s) are triggering that distortion that youā€™re liking with that specific gear combination.

At least I gave you another (hopefully more meaningful) question. :smile:

1 Like

Looks like Iā€™ll be spending some coin if I want to find an amp that beats the Little Dot (with the Susvaras). I really expected the Cavelli Liquid Platinum and the Audio-gd NFB-1amp to be significant audible improvements. So far, it appears that these cans like pure-tube amplifiers.

Iā€™ve also found minimal impact of amps when used with theoretically ā€œwrongā€ headphones too. It could follow from the limitations of the drivers to generate bass at all. The amp may be sending a signal to nowhere (ending up as heat), or a signal that affects unintended frequencies in a positive fashion. Someone with a test rig might measure it.

Headphones are for enjoyment, so enjoy.

3 Likes