The General Advice/Questions Thread

I just told you I sold my sports car and have young children. What part didn’t you get :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Jeebus, my priorities are way off. I was like… “Look at the cork thingy! omg, I want a cork thingy!”

I guess brick walls are good? Being that they’re all rustic like.

and stuff.

… I’m just gonna go now.

2 Likes

We have to have a “cork thingy” … my wife makes the cutest ever Christmas ornaments (reindeer) out of them for her friends … 200 of the bastards last year …

Still, it gives me an excuse to imbibe.

2 Likes

Sorry, all I do is meat and potatoes.

If you want fluffy stuff and handholding, head-fi is that way →

If you want angst and misery, Reddit is that way ←

:joy:

5 Likes

fking great comeback.
lol

2 Likes

I thought we were the “sweet and fluffy” forum!!! :sob:

5 Likes

Makes ASR the MLM forum then I guess.

1 Like

Do you guys use Linear PSU for you devices? Or do you guys believe on things like the iFi AC or DC iPurifier?

I say this an an engineer …

Linear PSUs are not always better than SMPS.

It VERY much depends on the application and implementation.

If the device being powered has poor/marginal regulation then sometimes an LPSU will yield a small, measured, advantage, but this almost never manifests in benefits in the audible realm.

And then there’s the reality that LOTS (maybe most) devices will take your LPSU input and immediately run it into an SMPS (e.g. the RME ADI-2 DAC/Pro units).

The iFi Purifiers have not, in any of my testing, resulted in any measurable change in the output of the DAC or amp they were used with. Measurable changes to the inputs, yes, but not to the outputs. And the same is true with various similar products from other manufacturers.

TL;DR;

Instead of spending silly sums on random tweaks, save your money and buy a better DAC/amp in the first place.

9 Likes

For sure. Just poking on opinions on devices which most called snake oil :slight_smile:
Thanks for your reply!

1 Like

This is in 100% agreement with The Measurement Guy Who Shall Not Be Named.

2 Likes

I want to know the back story on that… LOL

1 Like

There I fixed it for you! Joking aside, this is good advice from @Torq and they who shall not be mentioned…ugh feels wrong having put Torq in the same sentence as those eye listeners… :wink:

2 Likes

iFi iDefender, on the other hand, can work :stuck_out_tongue: But its not voodoo, literally just cuts out the power rail. Cleaned my USB signal right up!

2 Likes

Does the warranty from the manufacture still apply as a first owner to open box items from headphones.com?
As open box do we expect missing items?

TIA!

Harry Potter’s relationship to Voldemort wasn’t clear until several books were finished. Wait for the grand scheme to be revealed. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Whilst I wait for a Lyr 3 to show up for sale here.

What’s a good SS alternative to the THX amps. What’s something within ballpark price, that isn’t so dry and boring. Especially with Verite?

The Cavali amps from Drop?
People love this amps… Can t speak for my self, I have never heard one in a chain.

Also a Jotunheim.

Some of the Monoprice Monolith AMPS like the Liquid Platinum (Hybrid).

2 Likes

I still respect the Loxjie P20 with a tube swap (it’s not SS of course). My total cost was $150.

1 Like

If we go that route there is the AUNE AMPS, But I had bad experience with their older models. :frowning:
Newer models suppose to be much better.