The HEADPHONE Community Year in Review 2019

Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro MQA? I think this unit is the most recent.

Was the sr1a December 2018 or January 2019?

I’m seeing RMAF impressions in late 2018, but most of the reviews and discussions are 2019.

1 Like

Looks like they started shipping the first week of December, 2018. That’s my bad guys! Sending it over to 2018 where it belongs!

1 Like

I may be wrong in putting this into 2019 but here goes. I see this year as the year that Chi-Fi iems really took off in a very big way. I know that the ball started rolling years ago but it really seems to have taken off I a big way this past year. Of course I maybe way off in my thinking.

It goes without saying too that your great forum has gone from strength to strength this past 12 months. Thanks for running such a great place and the best forum on the net bar none.

6 Likes

Even with 30 min auditioning at Torq’s home, I believe that Raal Sr1a using ribbon transducer is an innovative product.

2 Likes

I agree on ChiFi. I have owned the TRN V90, KZ ZSX, and BLON BL-03, and all of them are excellent products that redefine their price brackets. In fact, the BL-03, which is the cheapest of them all, sounded the best to me and even competed with other much more expensive IEMs (like MD+) for example.

5 Likes

This was the year I got the ZMF Verite, so that was a big deal. But there have been a few other highlights for me as well:

• Focal Elegia continues to impress me, even after owning it for a while, I find I use it almost as much as the Verite
  • My understanding of what’s possible with BA drivers has been flipped completely upside down after hearing the 64 Audio U12T
  • HiFiMAN Arya and Ananda were both exceptional
  • Hearing the Audeze LCD4 was a chance to get a sense of what’s possible for detail retrieval in the bass
  • The Rupert Neve Fidelice DAC has completely changed my perspective on the benefits of high end DACs

And most importantly, the biggest highlight for me this year was getting to connect with some of the community members at one of the meetups, and I’m looking forward to the next one!

12 Likes

The update on the ifi xDSD with USB-C instead of micro USB was in 2019

is this a 2019 topic or should it be placed in 2018?

1 Like

@andrew, can we have a thread created “Thread Topics”, or something similar to post requests/ideas for threads? That way we can post something without having to @ someone. It will always be there as an easy resource for requests.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Just a heads up, we have the 2019 Year in Review blog post live on the site now: https://www.headphones.com/blogs/news/2019-year-in-review

Thanks for all your input. I’m sure there’s a much longer list than the ones featured, but I didn’t want to have you guys reading a novel.

8 Likes

Great job @Resolve , good read Andrew! Can’t wait for your Youtube review on the Aeon2c!

4 Likes

Bought the Ananda based on your review @Resolve, and @taronlissimore recommendation, so far my favorite headphone I own! It really allowed me to understand what you are liking from a headphone which helps me better understand your reviews. I pretty much agreed with everything in your review.

5 Likes

Great write up, Andrew!

5 Likes

I’ll throw out that, I think, the AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt is a 2019 entrant. I’ll leave it to others with more finely tuned ears to comment on its merits. For myself, it has significantly enhanced my mobile listening experience over the built in iPhone hardware. -Cheers

2 Likes

Agreed. Great write up.

How about in review 2020?

Too soon. It’s in the COVID-19 thread, realistically. Sigh.

Uhm, you are right. It’s still in the COVID-19 thread.