The Off Topic

My guess is somewhere along the Cinque Terre

4 Likes

Yup!

Manarola to be exact! We did Cinque Terre two days ago and hit up 4 out of 5 towns. Was one of my favourite visits of the trip so far.

5 Likes

That’s a beautiful walk! Me and the family did it too a few years ago. The boat ride along the shore was also pretty fun.

1 Like

My favorite may be Vernazza…cause it’s every little boy’s dream town: Two castles to fend off pirates, a tunnel going to a hidden beach, and a movie-style stone chapel on the beach. We ate pasta at a restaurant in the main walk from the train station. This was after an in-over-our-heads long, steep, and rocky overland walk from Corniglia.

Grabbed a photo, as mine are somewhere that’ll take longer to find.

Added: Corniglia

6 Likes

These pictures are only going to hurt you, because I can see my audio fund being diverted to my travel fund. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Annoying or unintentionally bad advertising language

It’s more often heard on the radio, but sometimes on TV. On TV, it’s usually forgetting that adverbs are a part of speech, but here is what drives me nuts on radio - and the meaning.

This is a Public Announcement — not a public service announcement, but they want you to think that it might be.

Due to a decline in the economy, …. Hmmm these words show up whether or not there is a decline in the economy. And there is never a product that is offered due to a decline in the economy

An Open Phone Line has Been Established. I think this is my favorite. You can almost see the Unnecessary Capitalization. It means they paid the phone company and got a phone number. But in a much more important way.

Those who ACTIVATE this protection. if you buy what we’re selling

I invite you to add your favorites, whether it’s a “Fry Pan” or a non-stick surface that won’t scratch when you use it to chip rocks.

2 Likes

As someone who spends far too much time on cruise ships, I get irritated by certain things that are seen over and over again, especially via the PA.

Some of the most frequent are:

“Ding dong ding dong… May I have your attention please”

Is that that what the ding dong is for, to request your attention?

“Ding dong ding dong… This is a public address message”

Using the PA system sort of hinted at that already.

“Ding dong ding dong… This is a personal call for Mr X”

Well, seeing that you are making it over the PA system, it isn’t very personal is it?

I could go on but I’m not going to. Now get off my lawn!!!

(Cruise ships also seem to have Dinning Rooms instead of Dining Rooms for some reason)

1 Like

Late for my commuter train as always, running down the stairs and into the train at full speed. Noticin that that the doors on OTHER side of the platform is closing and that train is leaving. Mine leaves 10 minutes later :sob:

Ferrum

1 Like

Ever wonder what your neighbor’s house is worth? Go to…your home may be worth more than you think.. This on tv. I wonder how a copy editor let a change in person happen from one sentence to the next.

Yep, in the end game of real estate its all over TV in my area. From TV, to unwanted emails and texts.

1 Like

And even agents coming to the door to ask! It’s ridiculous, but changing now that interest rates have gone up so much (and no doubt further to go).

1 Like

Pretty much! I know I don’t need a D850 (I have a couple of Z-bodies), but there is something about that camera and what it represents that keeps me thinking about it. The D850 was discounted down to ~$2,500 for the dads and grads season, but it’s back to ~$2,800. We’ll see what discounts look like at Kenmore’ in a couple of weeks.

Regards,
Vic

1 Like

Another diversion. A few months ago, I binge-watched Ted Lasso on Apple TV+. If there are any here who are unaware of this series, you should immediately take several days out of your life and watch it. It’s that good.

Ted’s quoting Walt Whitman, “Be curious, not judgemental.” has become a meme. And the scene - the dart scene in which Ted does that is simply masterful. I’ve watched it a few times, and although the titles in the following YouTube version of it may be distracting, they are also useful - at least the first few times through. And you can easily find a non-captioned version.

So, I present to you, what may be one of the best scenes in television. For those needing to know a bit about the characters, Hannah, the older lady, has undergone a bitter divorce from Rupert, the arrogant villain. She has hired Ted, a coach of American football to coach a football (soccer) team she won in the divorce. She is just finding out how decent a human Ted is. She hired Ted because she wants to destroy the team Rupert loved, but the whole series is built on how this evolves.

Without further ado:

5 Likes

Great show! I loved it, and that’s a great scene :laughing: :+1:

2 Likes

Yeah my wife and I binge watched Ted Lasso over the course of a couple days. Feel like it lost its way slightly in season 2 but had a good recovery :wink: .

Solid quote and a good lesson to pull in life, especially for those that are invested into hobbies as deeply as we are. It’s very easy to cross the line from curious to judgemental!

2 Likes

I resisted it for awhile because sports-related shows and movies don’t interest me. But kept hearing how good it was, then got through both seasons very quickly. Really just fun, excellent acting, and likable characters.

1 Like

Yes, I resisted for a while also. I did think it was a bit sports related, and while that may be interesting, I didn’t want to get drawn in. But it was good. And it’s not sports-related, it’s a tale of betrayal and redemption, good and evil and in-between, told with humor.

1 Like

My favorite part of season 2 was Roy Kent. His quips and outbursts had me laughing out loud several times.

3 Likes

Oh yeah , They are just amazing :slight_smile:

Amazing that the actor playing Roy Kent (Brett Goldstein) was initially hired as a writer on the show and ended up pushing to audition for the character since he felt like he really knew who he was. I can’t imagine anyone else delivering those lines any better. Lots of great casting, writing and acting on that show. I’m eagerly awaiting next season!

4 Likes