The Off Topic

Nearly belated happy cake day, @ P U…

Hmmm, by editing this post, I can appear early to wish @cpp a happy cake day.

2 Likes

Happy Cake Day @PaisleyUnderground.

2 Likes

Happy Birthday to this weeks members

3 Likes

Happy Cake Day @cpp!

2 Likes

I love cake, Red Velvet or a 6 tier yellow cake with chocolate icing

6 Likes

Happy cake day, how about lemon cake with buttercream frosting? :sunglasses:

Happy cake day! Maybe we should organize a blind cake-tasting test for you.

1 Like

Early is right about 4 months early.

Maybe in Nov like around the 24th

Well since my 'head and neck ’ and the radiation that went with it, I can’t do a lot of flavors anymore but worth a try and the Red Velvet is a real hit and miss.

My old (about 8 years old) LG TV
Is now a Radio !!!

I’d tuned to Fahreed Zakaria’s GPS today, and about 30 seconds later the screen went black. Still have sound. Fooled around with it, but not even the internal menus come on. I can see a faint backlight.

The TV sits in a turn-of-the-millenium entertainment cabinent in the living room, where I can close the damn doors on it and not see a screen. :phone: The same large cabinet also holds my main hi-fi, including the turntable, TEAC DAC, Wired4Sound integrated amp, two power conditioners, etc. I have 38.5 inches of horizontal clearance, which will fit a modern 43 inch TV. The current one is a 42 because they used to use wider plastic framing.

Pretty much any decent TV these days is a “Smart” one, you can’t find a higher quality display without the mass-market doodads. I browsed in the local BestBuy, but they didn’t have exactly the one I liked in-stock, and the employees there are no longer on commission, so I don’t help them out by buying local. I have a pretty good older soundbar that I use with TOSLINK, so I need optical out, most models have that. Few have an audio out, now they use Bluetooth.

Looked at BandH online, and settled on this new model, to be delivered Wednesday.
75x75

LG QNED75 43" 4K HDR Smart Quantum Dot NanoCell TV
LG43QNED75
In Stock QTY: 1 Price: $496.99 $496.99

I did see one TV at Best Buy with the LG QuantumDot and it looked pretty good, even though they can’t kick them out of demo mode which makes them all bright and contrasty.

:phone: I’m well aware that some wag out there probably @generic will point out that I don’t need the cabinet doors to close if the screen stays black anyway.

6 Likes

Very odd, my big Panny Plasma feed from a Denon AVR and a Roku Ultra lost its picture. worked on the darn thing for over an hr and just decided to do a mirco processor reset on the Denon, BINGO picture returned.

Since the TV can’t disply it’s own menu, I wasn’t going to fool around much further.

That kinda makes it replacement worthy. :wink:

I’m sure that an experienced gentleman like you has already tried the proper technique to fix a TV… one sharp blow with the palm of the hand on the back of the device :grin:

8 Likes

I placed the old TV in a mass grave box for flat TVs at our recycling center.

The new TV is great. COMCAST is awful. They don’t have a remote that will work with the new TV. They gave me two new ones to try. I can get it to turn the tv on and off and control volume (sort of) but not to select any indicated choice. Which makes it useless.

Curiously LG’s remote seems to control my cable TV box, but I don’t know how it figured that out. There was a period where the TV OS tried to learn it’s environment.

I’m confused, but I’m getting used to that state.

Later Note: one of the remotes, a “voice remote” utterly failed to connect with the COMCAST box on initialization. That’s not supposed to happen. I did a factory reset, and it finally found the box. Which put nonsensical menu items on the screen. The “let’s loop again one more time” COMCAST Assistant (online, on mobile) suggested I use the Comcast APP to program my remote. The current APP is going away and only has old remotes. The update of the current APP is no better, but gets into a new set of circular logic if you type “F… You” into the message prompt. “I’ll try and get you help right away! Do you want help with something you don’t want help with, or this other thing you don’t want help with?”

4 Likes

You went through the remote pairing process with the TV

Perhaps, but not with the Comcast remote. And perhaps the LG “magic remote” went through a pairing process with the Comcast box. I added a LinQ account for LG. I updated my useless Comcast app on the phone to a new useless Comcast app.

I find that the LG has its own set of non-comcast channels and follows the FIFA World Cup as a priority. Fine by me. Or perhaps I did go through a pairing process with the TV.

2 Likes

Have you thought about getting something like a Logitech Harmony to replace the TV and Comcast remotes? Then it’s just a remapping process each time you add or replace a device.

2 Likes

The Harmony remote is such an almost great device, when it works it’s awesome, and when it loses track of the system state, it’s a nightmare. It’s not something I’d recommend to someone who doesn’t understand how it works.
When mine infrequently fails to power on or set the input on my audio system, my wife has no idea how to even try and fix it short of turn everything off and try again, which would work fine IF every device had discrete on/off and they don’t.
Min also went through a phase of failing to sync to the website they use to configure it because of a poor WiFi connection.

5 Likes