The On-Topic, OFF-TOPIC Thread

I’ve heard older Wharfdales, but not at low volume. The Elysian 1 looks interesting, but is at the very top of my price range. I do like the AMT tweeters I’ve heard. The Evo specs suggest it may be bass shy. If I don’t get Maggies, I’m looking for bookshelf speakers (I have stands).

I like the Maggies because they don’t look like speakers, more like screens, dividers, or partitions. No, that’s not fair. I like Maggies because I’ve always enjoyed their sound and imaging. I know they can be played quietly and image like the dickens.

GoldenEar seems to have towers as their sweet spot. Some of the Spendors look nice, but I don’t see price, and the lone US retailer seems to be in Dallas. That means I’d have to fly out and visit my sister to listen to it. I’m in Pennsylvania. I looked at Falcon - you do seem to have figured out from my liking of Harbeth that I favor some of the UK/BBC monitor sound. The closest Harbeth dealer is just a bit over an hour drive in Wilmington, DE.

2 Likes

I think you should get Magnepans, once the fever for a specific component sets in, it’s nearly unshakeable. Everything else isn’t quite right. But you keep posting looking for ideas, so I try to help.

I actually think you should get Martin Logan ESL11 and a Pass Labs Int-60. But that’s just cause it’s what I would spend the first lottery check on

1 Like

Man, I like Martin Logans also. I have a Jones for the new old stock (with warranty) CLX that’s been on Audiogon for a while. $24,999. If I had a spending account like those who shall remain nameless (Ian) I’d get them. For home, they’re too big for the office. I saw the wall mounted Martin Logans, which would be cool in the office, but I would definitely need a sub with those.

I still look for a nice buy on ML Odyssey or Prodigy speakers, either of which would work in my living room. Never heard the Prodigy, but I had plenty of time listening to the Odyssey, just below them at a local dealer (long since closed). It’s a sweet speaker.

Your Pass-Labs stuff is nice also. I’ve favored some Conrad Johnson and Antique Sound Labs components if I were going to go that route. Integrateds? I’m happy with the Sansui, and my Wyred4Sound STI-1000, but I’ve also always liked the Musical Fidelity products. Like that M8Xi

There are a few bookshelf speakers that would blow away the Maggies, I know, but they are quite pricey.

2 Likes

This isn’t a directly reply, I’m thinking out loud about acquiring a “different kind of speaker amp” following the completion of my Crack.

Schiit Aegir versus Bottlehead Stereomour II kit versus Decware TBD

• Aegir: Decent power, lowest price, easiest availability, very solid reviews, and a genuine warranty

• Stereomour II: 3.5 WPC SET tube amp for $1,129 to $1,608, but another kit with krazy kit klowning

• Decware: It’s no fun sitting idly by on a waiting list for ages, regardless of product features and quality

You want the Maggies and have wanted them for many years, and you won’t rest until you get them. I only want quality novelty, with no set target.

My wife talked me down off the ledge. :phone: The 1.7i is really too big for my office. I was thinking of making a lowball offer, where if needed I could keep the DWM panel (assuming I got the maggies). She says that the backup plan of installing them in her house was no.

On the other hand, she’s not objecting to spending more $ on a non-planar, which is good because putting drivers in boxes costs money.

:phone: If you buy those, I’ll whack your pee-pee.

1 Like

The quandary continues. I’m considering these (Paradigm Persona B), which I listened to briefly in a store. Used, and Paradigm does not transfer warranties. :frowning: Only 2.5 years old.
They have a look that would work in my office.
Meanwhile, Joe at Overture says that the gossip is my Maggie .7 “might” be about another month. He can also work a modest discount on Harbeth Compact 7s. I may need to take a ride tomorrow and do some more listening.

4 Likes

Pulled the trigger

Visited an audio hi-fi dealer about 35 miles away this afternoon, and took home the store demo unit at a sweet price. Listened to some Paradigm, Fine, and Joseph Audio, but was most impressed by this Niko Evo which I think is pretty much the low end from EgglestonWorks in Memphis TN.

Was very neutral, - So was Vandersteen, but that may be for another day - when I want to replace my big speakers at home. Slight bite on some recordings in the treble, but not bad. Very nice rendition of male and female vocals, and you wouldn’t think that the 6 inch woofer would go as deep as it does, but a credible rendition of our favorite Chameleon by Trentemøller was in store. I think even the store owner now likes that track as a demo.

So now to cancel the Maggies. These were full warranty, cash and carry, no unboxing photos. Got them set up in the office, and Barbara came by to listen to Brubeck, Simon and Garfunkel’s Scarborough Fair, some Santana, and Journey’s Tantra (from Eclipse - great male vocal demo track). There was a stamp of approval despite the um ( @TylersEclectic ) artisan dark PURPLE metallic lacquer.

Here’s a link to the EgglestonWorks page on this speaker for the curious. They are a lesser known but high-end botique manufacturer.
http://egglestonworks.com/nico-evolution/

8 Likes

Congratulations @pennstac. I hope you have some great listening sessions with these. I know how hard you’ve deliberated over just what to get. Enjoy…

1 Like

Congrats! Now to decorate your system for the upscale, aspirational look and feel.

I think you may want an Advent Calendar facade in front of each speaker. The windows can be left open for acoustic transparency.

Or perhaps a birdhouse shell over each speaker to show you love nature (bonus points for a bird’s open mouth surrounding the “tweeter”:

I can’t wait to see it. Maybe a little photoshopping will help you decide?

[I’m just playing. Congrats again.]

2 Likes

Oy Vey! I just missed being able to decorate my office as a sukkot celebrating the harvest and the new speakers. There are pumpkins but no citrus on that cabinet. I like the birdhouse, perfect for little tweeters.

But I did come across this item which might give that aspirational look at feel - (my wife prefers that I just put the magnetic covers over the speakers - but they were misplaced so I’ll be getting them separately. I think I might be able to use this shell over the whole shebang.

2 Likes

Thank you @prfallon69. These just sound right. And they have a modern look, beautiful finish, are not too obtrusive, play well at low volume, and are clearly not something one would find at Best Buy, not even their Magnolia division. (Here in the states that’s a “big box” consumer-oriented electronics and appliance chain). And if I ever retire, they’ll easily find a home at home. Plus, if you look closely, they’re purple.

3 Likes

Oh wow! That’s some serious kit!

Congrats, and wishing you many happy years of enjoyment!

2 Likes

Original Music from commercials

I’ve been racking my brain for original music used in commercials. Not counting parodies or changed words, not counting things designed to sound like a well known tune, but just off enough to avoid copyright infringement. So far I’ve come up with:

• Nationwide is on Your Side song
  • Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz
  • The Pepto Quartet singing “Nausea, Hearburn, Indigestion, Upset Stomach, Diarrhea!”

I’m sure there are more examples. Please supply more and we can poll for a top 10.

Heck I can’t believe you are actually listening to the music in commercials.LOL

It’s Slinky, it’s slinky…… that one’s a serious ear worm.

The Oscar/Meyer song. My bologna has a first name….is that an original??

I think that both of those are Original.

• Oscar Meyer Weiner
  • It’s Slinky. (Definitely an ear worm - when you mentioned it, I had a vision of the slinky on the steps)

I’m thinking that “There’s Something about an Aqua Velva Man” but it’s so short that’s the whole riff.

Well, it was the Nationwide jazz singing lady that made me think about it. Long version of the song/jingle. I was thinking that she was really pretty good, and should be singing something else.

:musical_score: “Soaky soaks you clean, in oceans full of fun. Scrubbley Bubbley flibbety flubbity clean before you’re done! Soaky soaks you clean, and every girl and boy gets a toy when it’s empty, when it’s empty it’s a toy!.

How many of us know the tune to that? And how many wanted Soaky instead of Matey in our baths for just that reason?

There’s the “Toys R’us “ song

Not sure if “Ho Ho Ho… Green Giant!!” qualifies as a song.

“ Im stuck on Band-Aids brand, cuz Band-Aids stuck on me “

Rice-a-Roni….

Come to think of it, most of these are pretty serious ear worms. Would have to be considering how easy they are to recall decades later.

1 Like

I can’t remember if this got posted in the earworm thread but here’s a classic track from a commercial. Feel free to hate me:

4 Likes

The Band-Aids is definitely good. I think that the Rice-A-Roni is from another song, but I’m not sure - does anybody else know?

Barbara just played the “Toys Are Us Kid” song, I couldn’t remember it but yes as soon as I heard it - there it was. And then she played “Hooray for Beefaroni!”

From the valley of the Jolly Green Giant — I seem to recall there might have been a longer line before, but also can’t remember.

@Tchoupitoulas That’s PURRfect. And also an earworm.

I’m getting more of them now. I’ll have to link them to YouTube videos and then have a poll.

Double your Pleasure, Double your Fun, with Doublemint Doublemint Doublemint gum.

Bit-o-Honey goes a long long way. It’s the chewy candy you don’t have to chew …
And the Chock-full-o-Nuts coffee song, (That’s pretty old…)

Seems like food products and things marketed to kids. Then I thought of this one…

Which led to this:

1 Like