What music have you been listening to this past week?

The Icehouse / Flowers album. Love it. That’s the band that ignited my interest in Australian artists in general.

1 Like

If you like synthwave, I highly recommend this album. Fantastic!

Some of the best “sadboi,” melancholic, melodic and progressive death metal I’ve ever heard. The musicianship quite frankly blew my mind.

This has been on repeat since @GoldenSound recommended it weeks ago. Outfriggenstanding!

2 Likes

1 Like
1 Like

Always a good listen

I read somewhere that Thurtson Moore once joked about Sonic Youth and Phish touring together because their music was so similar. I’ve never gotten into Phish, so I can’t comment on the similarity, but this song is my ideal kind of jam band music: locked into a rhythmic groove and constantly changing, with all kinds of interesting guitar sounds moving across the soundstage.

I’ve been listening to a cinematic downtempo album called
Lauge and Aes Dana - Terrene (24bit on bandcamp)

Also…

Kuba - Animalia

And an Artist that goes by the name
Vacant ( nocturnal ep is really deep)

Been into jazz too mostly these albums

Slowly Rolling Camera - Juniper
Slowly Rolling Camera - Where the streets lead
Ambient Jazz Ensemble - Suite Shop

1 Like

A lot of Sibelius and Richard Strauss. Downloaded this last night from PrestoMusic:

Nelsons and the BCSO seem less ‘driven’ that Karajan’s '73 reading of Also Sprach, more ‘reflective’. He’s also more playful with Don Juan than Karajan was.

2 Likes

Ethiopiques, Vol. 4: Ethio Jazz 1969-1974

Had one song on a playlist, but turns out the whole album slaps. enjoying this and for whatever reason all the songs sound familiar.

3 Likes

For some reason, a lot of Celtic Punk this week:

3 Likes

2 Likes

Never heard of this soprano–she’s excellent.

Love this piece. Have 5 or 6 versions of it, including the ~3 on LP stored away.

Pergolesi was a genius. Can’t imagine what else he would have written if he hadn’t died so you (age 26).

1 Like

Speaking of sopranos, my favorite recital singer of all time is the great Dutch soprano, Elly Ameling. I went on an Elly Ameling jag the other night with my Final D8000 plugged into the Kinki Studio THR-1. What a wonderful combination that is.

Here are my 2 EA faves:

Paisiello: “Nel cor più non mi sento” (her breath control is so good)

And my favorite version of Mozart’s “Exultante Jubilate” (her lower register is so tuneful):

2 Likes

2 Likes

How did I miss Leftfield? This band’s debut album Leftism came out in 1995. While I was absolutely not into UK electronic music in the 1990s, I later became familiar with rough contemporaries such as Fatboy Slim, Daft Punk, Chemical Brothers, Massive Attack, and Portishead. Leftfield even lost out to Portishead’s Dummy for the 1995 Mercury Prize. I do know Dummy. :face_with_spiral_eyes: Sour Times indeed.

I’d never heard of nor listened to Leftfield until a month ago. Perhaps I assumed they were a political band, as I typically avoid being hit over the head from the leftfield or the rightfield. But, they don’t appear to be political. Per Wikipedia:

The name Leftfield was originally used by Barnes for his first single, with editing/arranging and additional production undertaken by Daley.

I hear Leftism as the bridge between the synths and samples of the 1980s and the later guest star extravaganzas of Gorillaz and others. Leftfield is not unlike their contemporaries, and even had Johnny Rotten as a guest vocalist (with P.i.L. rather than Sex Pistols styling).

First album:

Band overall:

Next up, a 200 page dissertation on the meaning of Natalie Imbruglia’s Left of the Middle album.

6 Likes

http://open.qobuz.com/album/va8a1h8czk0yb

This is compelling. Quite unexpected. It showed up in my discover list.
Steve Reich: The String Quartets. Don’t expect to be relaxed. It ain’t classical.
The Mivos Quartet.

Had to make a Songwhip for those without the buz

You may either want (or want to avoid) strong drink while listening.

3 Likes

Thank you for posting Tinariwen. I was not familiar with them, listening now. Excellent for trying to be productive by myself in the office. I’m a big fan of world music, especially folk and African. It’s not that often that I hear African that avoids both pop product genres and Reggae/Dub leanings.

Sounds very good on the EgglestonWorks speakers, even with the tiny Topping class D amp I’m using while the Sansui is in the shop.

In fact, I downloaded it to my favorites library.

2 Likes

Stumbled on this performance while doing some late night Youtubing last night. I’ve never heard of Electric Callboy before this but man this looks like an absolute blast. Doing something unique and just an insane amount of energy going into this.

Had no clue what kind of music it would be when clicking on the video and truthfully, still don’t know after clicking on it. But I’ve got it on repeat right now in the office playing off the Envy and some mystery headphones.

3 Likes

Great, glad you’re enjoying it!! I definitely find something pure and charming about their music. Haven’t heard anything quite like it.

They have a very interesting story that’s worth checking out too.

2 Likes