What music have you been listening to this past week?

Thank you for your kind words, I appreciate it.
Dokkyaku is my favourite track too, incredible layers and subtle tones.
Since you mentioned metal check VII by KTL group where you can find Sunn O)))'s Stephan O’Malley.
Another great one with Stephan O’Malley is Cylene with François Bonnet (Aka Kassel Jeager).
Very dark ambient music.
Kevin Drumm is another good option.
You can find all of them on Bandcamp.
If you want to browse into the music I listen to you can find it there: monochromios' collection | Bandcamp

3 Likes

I highly admire Nate Wooley. Some years ago he took part to a concert with the members of Anthony Braxton Ensemble in Museo Egizio, Turin, Italy. The concert started around 8pm and went all the night on until the morning. It was an immersive, incredible experience. I had the chance to talk with Nate that day. Great musician, great person.
This release with many fellows from Braxton’s Crew is one of my favorite

5 Likes

These guys:

2 Likes

If you love electric guitars give a listen to this one.

5 Likes

Just noticed Steven Wilson had a new album that has come out this year, some tracks are good. Quite different than some of his other releases.

2 Likes

I’m a huge Glass Animals fan, and recently discovered they did some stripped back versions of songs from their latest album. This one was one of my favorites from the album and the stripped back version has been on repeat this week:

6 Likes

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

7 Likes

Sarah Davachi, “Cantus, Descant”.
Very moody, minimalist tube organs recordings in the likes of Kali Malone “The Sacrificial Code”.

3 Likes

i’m sorry i missed this 10 days ago, look i’m always gonna choose the music over fidelity, i don’t care how bad a guided by voices album is gonna be fidelity wise it’s gonna sound great because it’s great. i wish the protomartyr albums had a better mix but the agent intellect is one of my all time favorites i don’t care how much it sounds like it was recorded in a tunnel. ty segall is amazing, every 1’s a winner is great, that whole album is great (especially She), the new fuzz album is great. i really need to listen to more oh sees (or whatever they call themselves these days), thanks for posting these.

5 Likes

I’m with you in always opting for the music over the fidelity. Some early classical recordings can make for a rough listening experience, as can some of the early jazz recordings, so I tend to use lower quality headphones for them. You know, maybe I should create a “high-end headphones for low-fi music” thread?

I’ve got a pair of LCD2-Classic headphones that I use solely for rock and electronic music (and more for rock than electronic, really). They’re great for wailing, screaming, buzzing, distorted, feedback-squealing electric guitars. Actually, being more serious for a second, these headphones really are wonderful for the textures of electric guitars: for my tastes, they’re great for crunchy, growly, fuzzy, snarling guitars, and power chords can be satisfyingly booming. My Andromeda 2020 are also awesome for alternative rock and punk - the darker signature makes them more forgiving.

I only discovered Protomartyr late last year - I don’t think I’ve been as excited by a new band in a while. Great stuff! Favorite tracks right now are Half Sister, Processed by the Boys, and Worm in Heaven.

FWIW, here are some of my (Thee/The) Oh Sees/OCs favorites (it’s also fun watching their live shows on youtube - two drummers, hurrah!):

Contraption/Soul Desert
Lupine Dominus
The Dream
Corrupted Coffin
The Whipping Continues
Toe Cutter - Thumb Blaster
Web
Sticky Hulks
Henchlock

6 Likes

I’ll start: VO with uni pads

Edit: there’s a ton of varied suggestions on this thread of late. I need to check at least a few of them out. Good work forum folks!

3 Likes

VO with uni pads, combined with a good tube amp, is great for lo fi music. Listening to the first Fuzz album right now.

I’m about 2 years behind with Ty Segall releases, which probably means I’ve missed 20 albums. And he does so many joint releases with other people (like Fuzz) that I’m always behind.

4 Likes

I spent my first listen through this alternating between “how dare you” and “damn, girl”. I am into it, and If you like (80s tv/video game/movie) synth music, you might like it too:

Gelsi’s grand organ composition EPHEMERA is a groundbreaking hybrid progressive work showcasing the mammoth grandeur of the ten thousand pipe acoustic organ in full flight whilst exploring the extent of the instrument’s electronic sequencing capabilities.

The result is a spectacular mix of grand organ fetishism, progressive soundtrack exploration and ecstatic analogue electronica.

3 Likes

@generic, @PastorOfMuppets - seems like every time I’ve checked King Gizzard’s released 2 or 3 new albums since the last one I heard (a month ago).

2 Likes

The new remaster seems to be a good one.
Listening to the last track right now - Under the Sun / Every Day Comes and Goes.
More texture and detail seems to be present.

3 Likes

Philip Glass symphonies and The Flaming Lips.

so much of both. hours and hours.

(so good)

5 Likes

I love and hate him simultaneously. I think @pennstac has a special appreciation for him though…

3 Likes

John Adams? Steve Reich?

2 Likes

Along those lines. Just feels like a lot of build up to ultimately nothing sometimes. Still a very intriguing listen but can be frustrating.

Edit: I know Im simplifying it.

1 Like

Totally understandable, it is most certainly not for everyone. You might (might) want to try Glass’s opera, as many critics feel he does better with a narrative structure he is forced to work with.

I would also recommend the 8th symphony as one of his more accessible pieces.

If you would like to try a different flavor of very modern classical, you could do a lot worse than trying some Arvo Part:

5 Likes