What music have you been listening to this past week?

White Elephant by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis off the amazing new album Carnage is a) great and b) a potential new standard test track for…there’s the bass line…really everything other than female vocals really although they are in the chorus in the last 75 seconds i’m sure.

5 Likes

4 Likes

If you have 10 euros you want to spend go https://vladislavdelay.bandcamp.com/community and subscribe.
You’ll get everything Vladislav Delay released since 1997 and some very interesting extras.
You can unsubscribe when you want.
I’m lost in this beautiful sounds.
Enjoy

4 Likes

Beautiful recording and execution of Philip Glass’ Piano Etudes by Leslie Dala

2 Likes

Friday will be Bandcamp Friday again.
All the incomes will be given by Bandcamp to musicians.
Keep an eye to Kevin Drumm subscription since usually goes on sale on Bandcamp Friday.
Great music, wonderful, kind person.

3 Likes

Despite the gimmicky band name, I’ve been listening to King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard’s new (2021) album L.W.

It reminds me of The Cure, Moonface, Tool, and other atmospheric or neo-psychedelic bands.

5 Likes

gimmicky name perhaps, and i haven’t heard any of their recent 5000 albums (they are very prolific), but i can highly recommend Nonagon Infinity as well

4 Likes

This is the 3rd album in their psychedelic-microtonal trilogy. The album L.W. follow’s 2020’s K.G. and 2017’s Flying Microtonal Banana. To my ears it sounds like a mashup of The Beatles sitar music and The Cure’s intentional de-tuning.

K.G. and L.W. are pretty similar and might have been released as a double album (or would have been a double back in the LP and CD era). I’ve not tried FMB.

1 Like

I haven’t heard the last 2 or 3 (or maybe 5000, as @PastorOfMuppets said), but I like the fact that each King Gizzard album seems to be different from all the previous ones, and that for the most part the quality of the songs is pretty high. I’ll have to try to catch up.

2 Likes

Great timing - I tried Sling Blizzard again this week after seeing this piece on The Line of Best Fit (one of the better popular/alt rock music websites out there). I’d given them a go a few years back without taking to their music - what I’ve just discovered is quite how diverse their albums are. I’m looking forward to exploring their back catalogue this weekend. It’s astonishing how inventive, and not just how productive, they are.

Some other prolific artists of recent years like Thee Oh Sees and Ty Segall, both lo-fi/garage punk bands, have lost a bit of steam recently. They’re not as eclectic in their music. The Oh Sees are a bit patchy but there are some gems. This one’s an absolute beast:

This one’s a propulsive blast:

And this one’s a crunchy beauty (the guitar solo towards the end is great):

Here are a few Ty Segall favorites. This first is a gentle one, with a 60s vibe:

Something a bit more exciting:

His music’s become more complex in recent years. A groovier track from a more recent release:

(I know, I know, lo-fi punk bands are kinda anathema on a hifi forum)

4 Likes

Gorgeous electronica, brand new from John Digweed. Especially volume 3. :blue_heart:

1 Like

Listened a lot to Innode’s second album this past week.
Highly recommended.

2 Likes

Daniel Levin Quartet’s (Daniel Levin: cello Nate Wooley: trumpet Matt Moran: vibraphone Peter Bitenc: bass) “Organic Modernism” by CleanFeed.
If you love free jazz it is it at its best.

1 Like

Agree- been listening for a week or two and it gets better with age.

Wow-Chris Jones is quite a talented fellow.

1 Like

It’s the time of the year when in normal conditions I would spend the coming month at “Torino Jazz Festival”, One of the most interesting jazz festival in Europe.
This will be the second year with no live music for me.
It is something I really miss.
Being a great fan of Ken Vandermark I managed to get a copy of “Second Breath” where Vandermark played with Nilssen-Love and Marhaug.
The pieces where recorded live at Issue Room, London and I was there.
Good recording, gives you the feeling of the live performance.
Not real live nor my TJF but something that in this time is as near as possible.

5 Likes

If you’re into sound art and experimental music this records is worth listening. Nice story behind the sounds about Amami Ōshima Island in Japan and artist Isson Tanaka.

9 Likes
4 Likes

Thanks for sharing this. As electronic/ambient music is something I’ve just gotten into with my recent obsession with headphones within the last year. It’s been difficult to wade through the enormous variety and figure out what I like. It’s funny how the subtleties in the music can make one album boring as hell to me and the next captivating. So subtle in fact, I’m not quite sure I always know what it is exactly. I have found that I do prefer a darker variety of ambient. I am a metalhead at heart so that makes sense I guess. This album was great. I did prefer the first “Dokkyaku” but both were good. For those more versed in this genre, any suggestions are appreciated. The more eerie and dark the better. The airy-tinkly stuff isn’t my jam :grin:

5 Likes

Give Loscil a try:

4 Likes