What's in the box!

Impressed so far. I used to be a big Sennheiser fanboy until I got seriously into headphones, but I’ve never got on with their IEMs but these are really very good.

5 Likes

You may not give a Schiit, but my Nitsch Magni Piety arrived today:

Nitsch No.1 Box

I’m doing a quick function check with my HD 800 S – this isn’t a powerful amp. Low gain at 2:00 for medium volume. (Factory dust specks for your enjoyment.)

My initial impression is that the Nitsch is neither feces nor Schiit, but it fits the same niche as the Lyr 3 + LISST. Both are detuned, laid-back, easy-going, spacious, and ‘tubey’ solid-state amps. It’s cleaner and brighter on low gain, while deeper, thicker, and more bass-focused on high gain. The Nitsch No. 1 came with exactly the same wall wart as my Schiit Lokius. I’m liking this Nitschy Schiit and will start back-to-back comparisons soon.

Power brick glam shot, as power bricks are severely overlooked in audio glam photography. What a luscious matched pair, showing my No. 1 and No. 2:

20 Likes

Yeah but which is your number 1, and which is your number 2? They’re both so special and unique! :nerd_face:

I timed a call to my tube guy very well…

Stellaris, meet your new friend: NOS (new in sealed bag) Genelex U52, born in 1960. :heart_eyes:

IMG_7267_AdobeExpress (1)

22 Likes

I’m very jealous, not just about the tube (very jealous about that) but that you were able to get Andy at Vintage Tubes to pick up the phone.

7 Likes

You’re so cruel, as you kick that poor little tube to the curb! :laughing:

2 Likes

I was kinda shocked when he picked up, and even more shocked when I got an affirmative response to “you wouldn’t happen to have a U52 rectifier, would you?..”. He had just recently dug it up somewhere. AND - he shipped in a timely manner, which has been hit-or-miss in the past. But still, I want to reiterate that he’s insanely knowledgeable and very fair.

7 Likes

I feel bad, for sure. That said, I cannot say enough about this sucker for the price (It’s an RCA 5U4GB). It’s so much better than the stock Stellaris rectifier, and can generally be found for non-insane money ($50-100). Shoutout to @bpcarb for convincing me to try it (and selling a used one to me).

6 Likes

Thanks for the shoutout. Glad it worked out for you prior to being relegated!

1 Like

It’s like you hit the jackpot twice! I actually have a credit at Vintage Tube Services, so I should give him a call. I’ve been waiting for several months because prices skyrocketed. Have they settled down again?

My No. 1 happens to be on the right (Lokius) and No. 2 is on the left (Piety). I’m happy that you couldn’t tell the difference.

I hope not! I almost always prefer matched pairs. Be they animal, vegetable, or mineral. Be they these ‘monoblock power bricks.’ Be they what I see in the mirror or what I see on the beach. Matched pairs are very nice. :wink:

Hard to tell. I bought two very cheap tubes (6BQ7A) and one very expensive tube (the U52). The prices seemed reasonable and not insanely overblown, but that may just be Andy.

1 Like

He does say on his website that he answers the phone only on Fridays. Might want to try him tomorrow.

1 Like

Stop. It.

Tube madness. I live for it. :wink:

5 Likes

So this showed up today…

My first reaction was

a88fc9f8-e6e0-40aa-9d5b-4bdcf7f7586d

Black Friday Ragnarok 2!

26 Likes

Very nice, that’s quite a piece! :laughing:

Did you get fully loaded, or just an amp? I was tempted by it as well…

Just an amp. I don’t need the other stuff.

5 Likes

It is here. KANN MAX + AK CD RIPPER MK2.

Processing: 097E5061-24F3-4447-A6A9-EE54E82D4C2A.jpeg…
Uploading: 473CE8F9-74E3-4161-AFBA-5F98A701934E.jpeg…

16 Likes

What could this be?

(On a Saturday no less.)

This pretty much gives it away …

And this definitely does …

And further pictures I’ll post on the Zähl HM1 thread.

35 Likes

@andris only people on this forum would understand but…

… when I saw that U52 tube picture I almost pee’d my pants.

5 Likes