Current Set-Up Pics - Official Picture Thread

I’m a recording / mixing engineer :control_knobs:

3 Likes

The 2-channel and “couch headphone experience” has evolved with the recent arrival of the @ampsandsound Nautilus. I was using the FORGE amp previously, but it’s nice to have that same great sound coming out the La Scalas. The FORGE amp I was using is now for sale if anyone wants to snag a mint one at a discount.

We also met a local furniture maker here in Denver called Tactile Audio Furniture and he build us a sweet cabinet to hold all the bits and boxes. Our record collection is small, but it helps with that as well. The owner’s name is Shaun and he’ll build pretty much any type of cabinet you want and ship across the US.

38 Likes

Beautiful all around!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

2 Likes

Great pics, they look like they are out of a catalog!

4 Likes

I used to own the La Scalas, sadly I had to let them go, the were too big for my living room, but I miss them so much. Nice setup you have there.

I really like the second shot! It has character :wink:

1 Like

Beautiful.

(can we start a gofundme to buy AmpsandSound a better font)

5 Likes

I’m still trying to figure out if “Amp Sand Sound” is a good thing or a bad thing. I usually don’t like grainy music.

2 Likes

Cleaned my desk again. I have an idea for something to hang on the walls, so maybe I’ll add some color soon. (Should just toss that mouse pad…)

18 Likes

Some great looking pieces, how are you liking the combo?

24 Likes

So I guess you’re done with your setup? haha

Incredible gear, how’s the synergy of everything? I know everyone loves the May, but curious how it pairs with that Woo amp.

2 Likes

Coming from all the dac’s I’ve tried, this one takes the cake as the old saying goes. The csp3 and taboo were a good combo. The Bifrost 2 was good, the yggy was better but i never felt the wow factor, better but i expected more. The qutest was good but the bifrost 2 via xlr to the taboo was just as good as the qutest at half the price. I thought i missed the matrix x-sabre pro mqa but wasn’t ready to go back down that rabbit hole and i wasn’t ready to pay 3k for the x-sabre 3 as i tried the element x and I thought the steamer could have been better. So, here’s the spring 3 kte with pre amp. Putting the csp3 between the spring and taboo grave more power but higher noise floor. The taboo is balanced and connected to the taboo via xlr was better than spring > csp3 > taboo. Coming from the Bifrost 2, no contest. It’s like being locked in a very small room with the Bifrost and then going to the spring, everything opened up, the taboo is performing the best I’ve heard it. Low noise floor, excellent detail, wide, open, i guess you’d call it sounds stage. I packed away the Bifrost and csp3, this will be my setup. Have i considered the may? Yes and no. Much larger, another 2k, diminishing return, no pre amp. I really enjoy the remote on the spring and the pre amp. I still have the left and right balance on the taboo in case i need to balance the channels and i have found some music does lean to one side, not often but I’ve heard it.

7 Likes

Thanks for the write up, great to hear you’re loving it! You’re confirming a lot of what you hear when it comes to the Holo DACs, everyone always seems to praise their openness/soundstage, it’s definitely alluring.

I was hesitating between the Holo Spring 3 KTE and a Sonnet Morpheus as my upgrade from the Bifrost 2, and ended up with the Morpheus. Very curious to compare it against a Holo.

6 Likes

Never went down the rabbit hole (Morpheus). It caught my eye once but never went there. I think my adventure has been finding what sounds best and making the best use of space and as we’ve said before, not feeling like I’m sitting in front of a campfire while listening to music. The Taboo has been really good. I contemplated more power but remembered the amount of space, cost, heat and any noise issues. The Taboo has been a good compromise between all those things. And now with the spring, as i said, it brought out another side to the taboo. Now i just have to add something to the walls to fill space and clean up my cables under the desk…

I forgot the chair pic…

12 Likes

Thanks! Both the May and WA33 add a high degree of “realism” to the sound. Lots of synergy in my opinion.

2 Likes

Which version of the WA33 do you have? I’ve got a Holo May as well, and was thinking this might be perfect for my Susvaras…

I have the Elite Edition + JPS. I went all in to avoid any regrets :blush:

2 Likes

Thank you! I noticed that the Elite Edition (non-JPS wiring) on the Woo site is about $15K, the standard with JPS wiring is $10K and the JPS Labs Edition (on the Abyss site) is $13K. I’m all confused, but I’ll be talking to Mike at Woo Audio next week so he can explain the differences to me. Have a great weekend!

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve been confused by the pricing too.