Headphones Battlestations

That’s awesome! I’m a bit jealous of your collection - I’ve moved too many times over the years and CDs end up getting ripped and then sold. I tend to keep only those I know I’ll play all the way through once I settle down and get a 2 channel setup. I inherited some 750-900 CDs from my father and those certainly aren’t getting sold!

And, yes, people don’t expect headphones to be expensive. What they don’t know can’t hurt them!

3 Likes

Izzat a big ole wall o CDs? Nice space. My office is almost 1200 sq ft of no audio except phone, and only computer monitor internal speakers, and no TV. Because if I play music I listen instead of work. I wish sometimes that it weren’t that way, but it is.

I do however, have space for Mr. Keurig and Ms. Breville, my coffee makers.

3 Likes

Yeah, I know that problem - I sold my original collection of CDs in my early twenties after going all hippie and deciding that material possessions were unwanted baggage. Once I came off my Eastern-induced trip I regretted the loss, because I had some very special recordings and I realised how much social value they had to me.

My CD collection is as much about my friends and community as it is about me, I love to share them, to talk about music, even for those not into music in a big way, it becomes an easy ice breaker in my house. I have the same relationship with books, we have way more books than CDs in my house, shelves and shelves of them and for much the same reason - the social value.

Sadly, a number of years back, I did have to sell my vinyl collection as it was taking up too much room and also because my investment was increasing in digital. So I sold to my buddy on the proviso that I could always buy them back and he wouldn’t sell them on (at least, not for a while).

It is indeed … I was a very late comer to streamed and digital music (CD aside). Sure, I was around in the Napster days, then OiNK, What, etc., but that only served as a means to hear and find new music. I can’t think of anywhere that comes close to the solid music curation and recommendation as was seen at What, it was a constant discovery. Physical ownership has persisted as centrally important to me. Even now, with subs to Qobuz, Tidal, et al, things get dropped from the catalogue - so for the things I enjoy, I just have to own it on CD.

1200sq. ft. Cripes … my office is a shoebox. I couldn’t be trusted with 1200 sq. ft. I’m like a fish, I grow to the size of my environment!

5 Likes

Yes, people do love seeing large CD collections. It’s funny you mention the social value of CDs. For my last move a couple of years ago, as a joke I took a photo of all the CDs I wanted to sell and texted it to a friend. He sprang to life and offered to buy a lot of them and it was great, we ended up catching up a whole bunch.

1 Like

whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

hey you should get a white mousepad man, white periphals too, there are lots of good ones

1 Like

Some potato pics (since my camera is currently mounted as my webcam)

17 Likes

Absolutely tremendous rig @driftingbunnies

The Luxman is such a looker … a killer set-up for sure.

I recognise your desk (mousepad) from your streams/vids.

1 Like

What amp is that? The one for the headphones.

1 Like

I wasn’t asked, but I’ll reply regardless:

2 Likes

Ah, a fellow keeb enthusiast?

2 Likes

Haha, yes, but not at your level of expertise or status! I’m a casual keeb enthusiast really and a noob to self-build. I’m still buying pre-built / off-the-shelf mechs and nothing at the high-end, yet! Your streams are great, though, keep up the great work on that front.

1 Like

Changed my setup on my secondary listening station. What I have:

iFi iPower > USB C power hub > Phone > USB power hub > iFi iSilencer+ > USB > iFi iMicro 3.0 > Geek Out 2A Signature > Vali 2 (preamp) > SMSL SP200 THX Amp.

or

iFi iPower > USB C power hub > Phone > USB power hub > iFi iSilencer+ > USB > iFi Micro 3.0 > LH Labs Go2Pro Signature > Vali 1 amp.

The iFi Micro allows 2 outputs so I can run both DACs at once. I just have to move the Vali 2 off the Vali 1 if I want to use the Vali 1 so it can breathe.

Only thing I’m really missing off the setup is an iFi iGalvanic 3.0. (will come) Cables include: PANGEA AUDIO - PREMIER SE USB, Audioquest Carbon USB, Audioquest Golden Gate RCA, World’s Best Cables Gotham GAC-4/1 (Black) Star-Quad RCA, Pangea Audio Premier RCA.

iFi Micro is also powered by iFi iPower.

9 Likes

Here are some images of the current setup:

I have some dunu SA6’s and a pair of rad-0’s on the way as well!

13 Likes

Been lurking for a while thought it time to post as I’m not changing anything for a while (other than the Forza Audio Works Noir Hybrid HPC cable on order for my headphones).

For reasons a traditional hifi listening setup is not in the cards for me at the moment so a near field and personal listening experience is what I aimed for.

In my defence I only went in for a pair of headphones and after trying a couple of models settled upon a pair of focal clears much preferring the open back sound to closed back. At this point it would have been rude not to get a focal Arche to plug them into.

I was happy till the Arche wouldn’t come out of standby, reported incorrect bit rates etc and after liasing with the business I bought them from and the UK Distributer and sending info back and forth I came to the conclusion that it would be a long wait for petty annoyances to be resolved but considering the price there really shouldn’t be petty annoyances.

Returned the Arche and went in a “different” direction so now the very happy bunny who listens to either FLAC or Tidal or Amazon HD through Moon 280D DAC connected via Tellerium Q Ultra Black II XLR to Moon 430HA Headphone Amp (good pre-amp too) to Focal Clears & or Tellerium Q Ultra Black II RCA to Dynaudio Focus 20 XD Speakers (tuned to be close to corner and rear wall).

I have not attempted to train myself to critically listen - I just enjoy the music I enjoy, sounding as good as it can to me, within the constraints of how I can setup the space it happens in - and I do count myself as very lucky.

26 Likes

This listening area looks like it took some thought to plan out. Just lovely. Are the plants real?

1 Like

I like the Tequila for afternoon listening, and the Cognac for evenings. The one problem with Tequila is that you have to decide whether to cut the fresh lime into four or six slices. Are four enough? Are six too many? Fortunately, you seem to have provided for that dilemma, with some contemplative brandy for after the lime slices are disposed of.

1 Like

Do you have measurements for that Tequila in particular or just subjective impressions?

Nice rig, btw. Congrats. :clap:

1 Like

Thank you and no, fake plants. Hard enough to water myself properly each day.

4 Likes

Great setup @dabblet. You’ll be popular with all the whisky drinkers too. Lol.

1 Like

Thanks all - it must be said the older I get, the simpler the pleasures - yet they sure do get expensive, tasty for sure, but seldom found on offer at the supermarket :slight_smile:. A little glass (or 2) helps lubricate the ears and I doubt that’s just me :grin:.

7 Likes