I'm Sailing Away

I think that just leaves tube-hybrid amps and turntables/arms/carts/phono-stages to go …

6 Likes

Interesting list! It gives an interesting perspective of your tastes and preferences. You seem to lean towards a greater representation of treble than I do. Have you ever tried the Elysium? I know someone who has similar preferences and he swears by it.

2 Likes

Hard to say if it is just that I am choosing IEMs with higher treble levels, or if I actually prefer higher perceived treble levels, since that would be dependent on our respective hearing profiles as much as the IEMs in question.

In general, with IEMs, I tend towards a mild U, V or W shape signature. That’s not the case so much with full-size headphones.

Oh, and no, I’ve not tried the Elysium … it was on my list to … but the AAW Canary were such a good contrast to the tia FourtΓ©, and I liked them so much, I decided not to bother.

5 Likes

In which way did you find the Calyx M to be a special player sonically? What was special about the sound?

It had a rich, but detailed, and powerful sound, great impact and a very smooth delivery. Which was in stark contrast to pretty much every other ESS 9018 based unit I’d heard … most of which sounded more like a screech owl with terminal laryngitis.

Another nice feature was the dual-card slots (something sorely missing from players today), especially where one was a full-size SD card slot, allowing for more mounted storage than any other player (even now, only the A&K KAAN can do that).

4 Likes

That’s funny!..:rofl:

1 Like

Only if you don’t have to listen to it!

4 Likes

Random stuff/thoughts:

How is it that one of HiFiMan’s least-expensive products (DEVA) looks and feels so much more substantial, and of higher build-quality/finish, than their most expensive (Susvara)? If the eventual successor to Susvara is built more like the DEVA I might actually have to buy one.

I have an interesting new, speciality, amplifier coming in this week. It’s one I’m personally interested in buying, and as a result will be something I do a proper review on (especially with all the extra time at home I have at the moment).

Pictures/details when it arrives.

Unique Melody MEST continues to delight. Looking forward to the world going back to normal so I can get a custom version underway.

Contemplating offering a run of my modular cables, at cost*, so I don’t have to keep storing (or move) all the parts I had on hand when I did put them all in storage ahead of my departure.

And while enduring a random selection of old UK TV crime/mystery shows (which my wife adores, but I saw when they were originally aired in the UK … so not much mystery), I spent an hour or two putting together a little (115 SLoC, including comments and help text) Python script to generate headphone power-requirement tables/data:

β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”
β”‚            HEDD Audio - HEDDPhone            β”‚
β”‚              (42 Ξ© @ 87 mW/dB)               β”‚
β”œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”¬β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€
β”‚          β”‚            Required               β”‚
β”‚ SPL (dB) β”œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”¬β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”¬β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€
β”‚          β”‚ V (rms) β”‚  mA (rms)  β”‚     mW     β”‚
β”œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”Όβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”Όβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”Όβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€
β”‚    80    β”‚   0.092 β”‚      2.180 β”‚      0.200 β”‚
β”‚    85    β”‚   0.163 β”‚      3.876 β”‚      0.631 β”‚
β”‚    90    β”‚   0.290 β”‚      6.893 β”‚      1.996 β”‚
β”‚    95    β”‚   0.515 β”‚     12.257 β”‚      6.310 β”‚
β”‚   100    β”‚   0.916 β”‚     21.796 β”‚     19.953 β”‚
β”‚   105    β”‚   1.628 β”‚     38.760 β”‚     63.096 β”‚
β”‚   110    β”‚   2.895 β”‚     68.925 β”‚    199.527 β”‚
β”‚   115    β”‚   5.148 β”‚    122.568 β”‚    630.958 β”‚
β”‚   120    β”‚   9.155 β”‚    217.960 β”‚  1,995.263 β”‚
β””β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”΄β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”΄β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”΄β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜

With an option for headered/headerless CSV output:

dB/SPL,V,mA,mW

And a single-line output for a specific SPL value:

ZMF VΓ©ritΓ© Closed - (300 Ξ© @ 99 dB/mW) needs 0.062 V and 0.205 mA (0.013 mW) for 80 dB/SPL.

With various command-line arguments to control the output/range of values:

Usage: headphonepower.py [OPTIONS] IMPEDANCE SENSITIVITY [SPL]

Headphone IMPEDANCE

IMPEDANCE of the headphone in question, specified in ohms.

Headphone SENSITIVITY

SENSITIVITY of the headphone in question, default unit is dB/mW; --unit
  option allows specification in dB/V

Output [SPL]

dB/SPL to calculate headphone power requirement for.

If specified, NO table is generated and the simple power calculation is
  output; otherwise a table is output with default low/high dB/SPLs.

Options:
  -u, --units [v|mW]        Sensitivity units: dB/V or dB/mW  [default: mW]
  -l, --low INTEGER RANGE   Low dB/SPL table value  [default: 80]
  -h, --high INTEGER RANGE  High dB/SPL table value  [default: 120]
  -s, --step [1|3|5|6|10]   dB/SPL table steps  [default: 5]
  -n, --name TEXT           Name of the Headphone for table title
  -o, --output [table|csv]  Output table or CSV  [default: table]
  --header                  Include header with CSV  [default: False]
  --help                    Show this message and exit.

So if there’s interest there, I’ll package it and post a link to the repository.

Now to decide which color VΓ©ritΓ© Closed I’m in the mood for today … :wink:

*They’re still not exactly cheap, due to the parts used … and don’t make sense if not used as a modular system. Pointless for a single amp/headphone combo. The cheapest of which would be a 4-foot (total) 4-pin XLR to Focal 3.5mm TS (fits all but the Utopia, which is higher) at $350.

11 Likes

I have no idea about what those scripts mean, but it looks cool :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Love the old uk productions to re-watch from time to time!

2 Likes

Best telly in the world. No if’s no buts. :upside_down_face:.

4 Likes

I’d be interested if it happens.

Shoot me a PM with what headphone and amplifier adapters you’d want, and what length(s) of core cable. I can a) tell you what it’d cost and b) let you know if I have the necessary parts (since I’m not ordering more and I’ve got lots more of some things than others) … for what you’d actually need.

And then I’ll let you know if I decide to do it and you can make a go/no go call at that point.

5 Likes

With the caveat that it depends on how power hungry your headphones are, I think I’d revise my DAC/amp favorites list to move the Hugo 2 up two spots (above the Matrix Element:X and Focal Arche) when it’s fed from the 2go.

4 Likes

Given the current, unfortunate, global madness, there is something inescapably decadent (and probably a little insane) … about sitting on the deck, in 43ΒΊF weather, listening to β€œVegas” (The Crystal Method), via a fully wireless Roon end-point (2go -> Hugo 2) and the MySphere 3.2 …

Binaural version of Amber Rubarth’s β€œSessions from the 17th Ward” up next … and back to The Macallan.

In between talking to myself … this is the kind of β€œlong night” I can really get into.

10 Likes

I’ll be having a long night tomorrow! New bottle of bourbon showed up today…it is a gold medal winner this year (well one of the barrels was lol) looking forward to cracking it open tomorrow!

7 Likes

Had to convert 43F. It never gets that cold where I live.

3 Likes

About 6ΒΊC … not nearly as cold as it can get here, but still a bit brisk for a spring evening/night on the water.

Still, refreshing in general and an interesting contrast to the warmth of liquor and music.

5 Likes

Tell me your thoughts on Hillrock once you do.

1 Like

So I’ve finally looked in to these MySphere’s… sigh. I thought I was set in going with the Verite as my next headphone purchase now I must think about these. They do have a loaner program although not sure if thats worldwide.

More research for a later date I guess.

As for decadence, Im pretty happy when I get to sit on my couch and watch anime while eating ice cream. :grin: :grin:

4 Likes