Off Topic Gaming Thread

Spider Man Miles Morales on PS5 is an amazing and super awesome experience! A must play for all PS5 owners out there!

4 Likes

I’ll be setting my ps5 up tonight! Miles morales will be first game I buy =)

5 Likes

You’ve got to try to play with your IEMs connected to the joystick! I have the 64 Audio FourtĂ© Noir right now and it’s an amazing holographic experience, later on EE Odin are going to be game tested!

4 Likes

What PC games would y’all recommend for someone who isn’t really a gamer? For reference, the last game I played in earnest was Portal 2. I just built myself a kick-ass new machine and it should do pretty well as a gaming box.

4 Likes

Cyberpunk 2077 is coming out soon. Most anticipated game of the year, if not the decade. It may be the only good thing to come out of 2020.

5 Likes

Shadow of the Tomb Raider is definitely worth a look.

4 Likes

There are a bunch of good free-to-play mmo’s out there. Won’t cost anything to try them and if you like one or two then you can opt for spending a little money to get more features and goodies.

Here’s a list I found:

Free MMO List

Also, World Of Tanks if you like WWII era tanks. It’s a bit grindy though.

And Warzone for battle royale.

2 Likes

Dragon Quest XI is one of the best games if you don’t play often. Here is a stellar review by Tim Rogers. Special addition is coming out for consoles and PC next month. It released on Switch about a year ago. Review for that is here. Absolutely hilarious writing.

Edit: Completely convinced I will never appreciate another RPG out there more than this one. The entire game feels like a museum of itself.The people in every town talk about the local culture attractions of where they live. New locations feel like places genuinely lived in having an overabundance of extra detail.The game tells you a mini recap every time you boot it up, so it’s possible to put it down for weeks or even months not having to worry about getting lost.Your allies (made up of characters with compelling backgrounds explored throughout the campaign) are free to chat any time. They have an unfathomable amount of dialogue.The whole world feels connected. One day you might encounter a mother who misses seeing her son after he became a soldier. 14 hours later in the game, you’ll meet that same soldier mentioning how he misses his mom. Environments have stupid amounts of care put into them. You’ll think endlessly to yourself, “This place must be important somehow.” No, it’s just part of the environment. Then moments that are actually important feel like they’re out of a movie rather than a video game cutscene.There is no better way to describe it other than saying it’s a game world overjoyed to have a player roaming around in it.

Edit 2: Here are some tips!

2 Likes

Or in my case, PC or iPad/iPhone games for brief time wasters that will not tempt me to spend $ for in-game advantages, and who thinks that Missle Command, Centipede, and Frogger were all OK, but really liked Tempest, Asteroids, Qix, and Robotron.

Could handle Zork!, Colossal Cave, and Leisure Suit Larry, Liked Ultima, but not Ultima III. And the only time got hooked on gaming it was Evony (like Civilization). That’s why I’m concerned about $$$.

I play various versions of Bejeweled, and an occasional Angry Bird, free versions only.

In the real world, I used to think Chess was OK, but I refused to study it. Go is nice, but also worthy of too much study, and I spend countless hours and much money playing Duplicate Contract Bridge.

3 Likes

Eternium on tablet or phone is a really old school RPG with pay-to-play added on top. They’ll take your money if you’re naive, but let you play most everything if you understand traditional game strategy and competition. Not so many people do these days

2 Likes

The problem with Evony was in-alliance comms. I usually was officer to vice-host level of one of the top alliances. Server migrations, coordinating people around the world to place cities interspersed with cities of people in other time zones, text messaging alerts, bot programming, and endless refinement of battle strategy takes a toll. Especially as a server matures, or experienced players made grabs on new servers as they started up. It was common for people to spend $500 or more with their friends on a new server to level up quickly for an advantage. It’s an insanity I don’t want to do again. I will not WILL NOT abandon a client in real life so I can defend a city.

Not saying that Eternium is that kind of game, but that is the sort of thing I wish to avoid. I’ve considered getting involved in Bridge online, but I’m rusty, and it is also a huge time-sink.

2 Likes

If you’re anything like me you’ll probably just end up playing Solataire, Online Sodoku or Tetris. Lol. All those powerful components and it’s still the simple games which often grab my attention. :slightly_smiling_face:.

4 Likes

I’m a massive Dragon Quest fan. Everyone should be forced to play at least one of the epic games. Lol. :grin:.

2 Likes

With Next-Gen fully on its way to the lucky people who managed to snag one, I figured I’d share some of my favourite games from the last-gen in no particular order. Last-gen lasted 7+ years so there’s a lot to choose from!

• Star Was Jedi: Fallen Order
  • Katana Zero
  • Final Fantasy 7 Remake
  • Resident Evil 7
  • Resident Evil 2 Remake
  • God of War
  • Spiderman PS4
  • Grand Theft Auto 5
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  • Devil May Cry 5
  • Titanfall 2
  • Inside
  • Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
  • Killer Instinct
  • Mortal Kombat X
  • This one is cheating but Final Fantasy X re-master (FFX is my favourite game of all time)
6 Likes

Trust me, if I could get you a next gen nVidia card the way I got mine, I would. Alas, I could only get one.

3 Likes

And with a RAM upgrade a few days later

From 16 GB 2x8 kit(3200) to entertaining Vanguance RGB Pro 32 GB 4x8 Kit(3600) in white.

It is a MSI Gaming X Trio 3070, though. Gonna get me a 3080 ti/super next year and stick the 3070 into my wife’s PC.

Upgrade the CPU(Last Gen Ryzen 3600x which I got cheap for 180Euro - now in) to a 5800x later next year and give it a blingy watercooling Block.
Though the Noctua 12s aircooler is the little brother from my D15, which is in my other old pc
 and hey it is dead silent as well. Has more a better heatpipes compared to the dual Tower/fan D15(we rock the beige/Brown)

Have the X570 Tomahawk Wifi MoBo with 2x Gen4 980 Pro Samsung NVME M2s, 1x 1TB SSD and a 2TB SSD in the Back.

NZXT modular 850 PSU
 Super stiff cables, which are a pain. Need some custom ones for the CPU and GPU.

For now the Be Quiet 500dx case is better, as expected.
Reviews were on Point. Ordered 3 additional Noctua 14 fans and keep the 3 Be Quiet ones, which came with the Case.

Will build the upgrades in a Lian Li O11D ROG “der Bauer” XL in white.
Had it Here,:sweat_smile: too big for the rooms, is what she said.
Move the setup to another room in spring, after the remote working is over. Have there way more space and add a 27inch screen in vertical

For now I’m fine with the 4k gaming Power out of this build. Forza is way over the 60fps mark and I bought some older stuff, like Fallen Order, Titanfall 2, GR Wildlands, BF5 and have a few old physical games like GTA5. My PS 4 Pro gets no use, at the Moment.

Running it with 43inch LG and MX Keys plus and a Master 3, as peripherals

Mainly it is a nice upgrade from my old notebook, I did use for working remote. Main problem was, the HDMI out supported just 1080p.

Now I can use both, with the flow feature of my Logi stuff.

Payed 200 over MSRP, for the GPU, though saved around 500 bucks with other parts, especially the 43inch LG and the SSDs

6 Likes

You got a 3070. :neutral_face: Bastard.

(Just kidding. Lucky guy!)

Looks like a solid setup!

4 Likes

9 more days until I replace audiophile gear obsession with cyberwear upgrade obsession.

2 Likes

Thanks Prof.

The Motherboard is like a Unicorn - over engineered. After many very poor built x570 MoBo’s by MSI. They were like beaten up by reviewers over and over.
So they decided, to Shine.
Compares well to Others 4times the price. Guess it could become a future Classic, at least what some respecteted reviewers say

The rest is Mainstream.
Ok the 2 x 980 Pro 
 7GB per second
 Nothing one really needs LoL

3 Likes

I’m solidly in the wait and see camp, at the moment. My pc doesn’t need an upgrade, but I’m now doing video editing a lot and the Ryzen 5 chips are starting to look really attractive for both rendering and gaming.

The new RTX cards are completely unavailable still.

Kinda jealous, I won’t lie!

4 Likes