Unique Melody MEST - Hybrid IEM - Official Thread

I got the email from MusicTeck about the discount code and everything and am really interested. It would be either this or the Fearless x Crinacle Dawn. I have to ask, how is does the EST compare to the IER-Z1R? I love my Z1R pair but interested in the EST tech.

Also curious how the bone conduction tech affects sound and comfort.

EDIT: Why does UM have to have proprietary QDC pin diameter? I sucks that it impedes the fun of being able to use good 0.78mm 2 pin cables people might have in disposal.

2 Likes

Most of yesterday afternoon was consumed with some level-matched back/forth listening between the UM MEST and the 64 Audio tia Fourté.

Comparisons were done with appropriate Spinfit tips. Putting foam tips on either of these IEMs pushes the bass into the “too much” category for me, doesn’t do the mid-range any favors (especially with the MEST), and also seems to work against the MEST’s extreme upper treble/presence/air performance. I personally wouldn’t go with either of these IEMs if I had to use foam tips with them.

tia Fourté has a little less bass energy (about -1 dB), and a little less sub-bass impact/presence, but at the same time its bottom end is a hair more controlled, taught and articulate. Both units have elevated bass levels, so this puts tia Fourté a bit closer to neutral on the bottom end.

Mid-range detail/resolution is very similar between the two, though the MEST is slightly sweeter and richer sounding with better texture, without giving that resolution up. And its the same story for the main treble region, though with tia Fourté having a slight resolution advantage.

MEST’s upper treble is a little smoother, with more air/space and sparkle, and a hair more texture and detail/resolution than the tia FourtĂ©. Brass/horns and cymbals have slightly better timbre and bite with the MEST, too.

tia Fourté’s biggest weaknesses are it’s W-shaped profile and the slightly wonky-tonality that can result there. It is a detail and speed monster, and for most of the frequency range is equal to, or ahead, of the MEST, but the difference is rather small, and the MEST wins on the top-end. MEST has more natural tonality overall, despite being U (or maybe V) shaped, due to less up-and-down, and mid-centric timbres are more natural feeling.

Value is no contest 
 the tia FourtĂ© is expensive for what it is. Overall it’s ahead of the MEST, but it’s also 2.5x the price.

While I don’t plan on giving up my set of tia FourtĂ© until 64 Audio comes up with a custom-fit version, produces a better sounding IEM, or something else beats it out across the board for me, I can say that if already had the UM MEST, I probably wouldn’t upgrade to the tia FourtĂ© at this point (I’d just wait for its eventual successor/something else).

6 Likes

And that’s a long winded way of saying that, overall, value-excepted, I think the tia FourtĂ© just manages to edge out the UM MEST, even if it’s not across the board, nor by so much that MEST’s unique traits aren’t still highly desirable and, in some cases, even preferable.

But, for now tia Fourté remains my top IEM, and UM MEST claims the #2 spot.

3 Likes

From a different perspective, I could easily liken the UM MEST to the ZMF Vérité and the tia Fourté to the Focal Utopia in terms of role/position if not actual signatures.

I want, and will keep, both, but they serve slightly different purposes for me.

5 Likes

I’ve been listening to the MEST since they arrived yesterday and occasionally comparing them vs the U12t and I think I can share my initial/early impressions (please have in mind that I’m not experienced at this)

The MEST are truly impressive IEMs for the money!!

No issues at all with comfort, started listening since I posted them yesterday until around 2 AM
and today I’ve had them for about 8hrs now.

The bass is definitely better than the U12t, macro and micro-dynamics, texture and extension but I feel like the U12t goes deeper sometimes (hard to say), the mids are crystal clear, very detailed and bit “forward” - I’m not sure if the bone conduction driver is helping achieving this level of performance (this TOTL level mids). The U12t in comparisons albeit having similar resolution on the mids, sound a tad “recessed”.

There’s something going on with the treble though that makes them sometimes (with some tracks) borderline bright for me, specially for snare sounds - it sounds kind of “thin”, with less body (or a bit “artificial” for lack of a better word) than I would have liked it to be. As a former drummer, it was quite easy to pick this up and that’s about the only “not so good” thing about these. The sparkle up top, the air, the separation and the overall stage are remarkable. These characteristics combined result in what I perceive as “big and holographic” sound.

If I had to summarize the strengths of these bad boys it would the bass (slam, detail, extension and texture), the mids are to die for, the airy presentation along with the sound stage makes them sound large (not as big as the Fourté but definitely better than the U12t).

For the price, Unique Melody hit a home run in my books.

If I had to choose one between these and the U12t regardless of the cost, as a musician I would pick the U12t, but for fun I would pick these. Put cost into consideration and the MEST is an easy choice!

8 Likes

In my limited IEM experience these are my initial thoughts:

The UM MEST remind me of a way better Solaris! The sparkle/air and holographic nature of these is excellent! Also bass is well controlled and precise, reminds me of the Utopias bass but with slightly more “impact”. I’d say the U12t is smoother more laid back
 recessed, it would be like Aeoulus vs Verites. This is not a fair comparison though. But I think both are excellent IEMs and have a spot for any IEM lover! But the fact that the MEST brand new goes for low ball used prices of the U12t is kind of nuts :peanuts:! I’m only an hour or two into listening though so take this as a first impression. Also the MEST are a fairly large IEM, they are closer to the Solaris in size, but are way more comfortable. They stick out of my ears by a good amount.

9 Likes

Of course, the real question is how do you feel about them vs. your two versions of Andromeda?

1 Like

correction @Torq - he only has 1 now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Which one did you pick up?! :wink:

1 Like

Ha! Not me, but another fellow on my discord server picked it up from @TylersEclectic. Stellar deal!!!

You all have me VERY interested in the MEST. The only thing that has held me back from the U12t is that I think the treble energy could be a tad, smidgen higher, and it sounds like MEST may get there. That said, I’m pretty happy with my IEM combo of Viento-R and VX for the time being.

This whole quad-brid concept is very cool though.

4 Likes

Well, that does make more sense, given what I gather of your preferences.

I don’t think the MEST’s top-end is overdone. Excessive treble in IEMs is a definite turn-off for me, and all too prevalent. I am just amazed at what they do, overall, even ignoring their relatively low price.

And 
 I am almost sufficiently inebriated, and socially-distanced*, enough to dabble with this Discord stuff.

*Who am I kidding? I’ve damn-near made a career out of being socially-distant! I’m only happier when either floating on the ocean in a pretty boat, or at the bottom of it communing with the wild-life in a toasty-warm dry-suit.

3 Likes

Haha. I just had a virtual happy hour and feeling good :slight_smile:

I don’t want overdone treble either. U12t with maybe 2dB more in treble would be perfect.

2 Likes

@Torq I sold my original green Andromedas
 and I’m looking to get rid of the Golds next! MEST has been more or less in my ears since noon today! They are a delight! I’m not even an IEM guy
and I honestly dread putting IEMs in my ears most of the time
but these really won me over! Thank you for the unsolicited and unintentional recommendation that cost me a nice chunk of change lol :wink: Don’t tell my wife :wink:

Also, I’m a good bit into some whiskey myself right now! We need to figure out a way to do a happy hour live chat or something for us lol!

7 Likes

Put my spiral dots on
yes! This is my happy place! These just got better
well for me :wink:

4 Likes

From your description so far, the MEST seems very similar to the U12T sound signature/profile. I already find the U12T very warm and bassy type of IEM. Was hoping the MEST would give me a different flavor, looks like I jumped in too fast on this :sweat:

Hi and thanks!, i’m more into IEMs than headphones sadly. I used to have the HD800S which i loved but sold since i hardly use them at home. Still have the 6XX which i also hardly use at home lol.

Are you planning to get the A18S?

1 Like

More an iem man myself. Sadly the A18S is on my radar at the moment. I cannot afford it and only way to get it would be to cull the herd so to speak. I don’t have anything that I am desperate to get rid of. So it’s status quo for the time being.

4 Likes

Umm 
 those of you who got it, could you please post pictures too? There aren’t many pictures of the MEST out there. Thanks.

1 Like

A couple of “quick and dirties” 

6 Likes

Very pretty design. I dig it.

2 Likes