What's in the box!

Lol @ “200-300 years” :laughing: I haven’t stocked up to that degree (yet) . I do have I think 4 quite expensive (to me) matched pairs of NOS tubes that I don’t have an amp for yet…just in case I get one that needs them someday. :grimacing:

7 Likes

Looking forward to spending some time with this. I was able to borrow an A1 a while back for a couple weeks, so this A2/“OG” with Unison USB will be interesting to compare :slight_smile:

19 Likes

A parcel arrived at my local FedEx store:

Just your standard medium-size component box that Schiit uses. Maybe one of these days I’ll get something that requires the full-freight box.

Opened the bottom first because of the ominous hole. Everything physically checked out fine.

Parcel contents (I got a chuckle from “aka ‘valves’” on the box for the vacuum tube). Silver LYR+, remote, socket cover, tube in a box, a couple of stickers, and a warning about not using TRRS plugs.

If I didn’t have a weekend full of activities, I would devote myself to breaking it in a.k.a. listening to it, but alas we have international guests. I’m super stoked as it’s my first tube amp of any variety.

Regards,
Vic

17 Likes

I’m curious what you will think after listening to it for a bit. I have Lyr 3, and I’d also like to read a side by side comparison… :+1:

P.S. I recognize that skyline! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I hope you like it, I love mine! I got the OG also, upgraded from Bifrost 2 (OG, great DAC).

The whole LIM/Texas Instruments chipset thing is intriguing, but I like the sound of the Analog Devices chips and the Class A discrete analog stage output design… :sunglasses: :+1:

What DAC did you have previously?

1 Like

It’s a great skyline and despite the new construction due south of the ‘Tower, my view of Mt. Rainier, the rest of the Cascades, and the Olympics remain unmolested.

I’ll be more than happy to share my experiences with the Lyr+. I have a couple of Schiit’s DACs (Bifrost 2 and Modius) and a brace of headphones that I want to test out (Elegia, HD6XX, LCD-2 2022, LCD-X 2021, and Sundara 2020). I’ve never heard the Lyr 3, so I can’t perform a comparison, but I have an Asgard 3, Jotunheim 2, and RebelAmp if you have any of those.

There is a community space in Kenmore I frequent and if you’re game, I’m more than happy to bring it there if you want to listen to it next to your Lyr 3. I also have been looking into renting classroom space for a listening session (either on campus or in Kenmore), but that’s a conversation for a different topic.

Regards,
Vic

2 Likes

Newest addition and my first Grado…

18 Likes

The Folkvanger is looking good, buddy. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

New driver tubes from my new friend, @andris .

These are wonderful. Getting a bit more added warmth, but no loss in detail.
NOS VT-231 are here to stay.

14 Likes

Welcome to the GRADO club, senior division. While entry-level GRADOs can be fun in and of themselves - in 2012 I replaced a broken Sennheiser PX-100 with a GRADO SR-60e, the Reference series and above (plus the occasional special edition) is where they shine.

2 Likes

Thanks man…I’m really loving it. Rolling tubes is actually pretty fun. Was really surprised the improvement some NOS tubes made in the 2 inputs.

Lots of confirmation of things people always talk about in the hobby…Oh, that’s what they mean by “holographic “, oh, that’s what they’re talking about with the HD800S on tubes , or actually experiencing tube burn in etc, etc. . Been a very interesting leg of the journey.

How about you? How’s the Woo experience/ tube rolling going?

5 Likes

I decided not to go with the Fireflies - they don’t look like they have enough power. So my only tube is on the Lyr 3. (I presently use a Treasure Globe, but have tried a few others). I’m waiting on the LSSST solid state MOSFET replacement from Schiit to try. @generic seems to like it. That way I can preserve life on the Trea$ure Globe.

You might try the famous “tape mod” on the RS1e while waiting for the new pads. While I like using soft plastic electrical tape, you can do it very non-destructively with FrogTape. Just encircle the circumference of the foam pad with tape and hear the difference.

4 Likes

Demo Stratus hits Connecticut!

34 Likes

Big boys need protection. Don’t leave anything to chance

15 Likes

Hi my friend. I’m actually going through much of the same as you. That holographic deep and wide soundstage you get from the HD 800’s on tubes. I recently swapped out my Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB Drivers for a NOS Mil spec (JAN) RCA VT-231. I got more warmth and bass fuzz from the change. It is awesome and the VT-231 still carry great detail, but just don’t quite have the top end sparkle of the Tung-sols.
I appreciate and love the difference and the fact that just swapping the driver tubes can actually change the sound. :slight_smile:
Having a great time and so happy you are as well.

Processing: DBD14187-94EA-408D-9850-32D2BA4E0960.jpeg…

2 Likes

These are some hefty tubes!

20 Likes

WOOHOO! Enjoy this! I remember the time I spent with it fondly, and love seeing it in the hands of other forum members :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Yeah, it’s kinda your fault. When you got your Stellaris, I decided I needed to see what all the fuss was about.

2 Likes

This is interesting! I’ve been looking for a simple solution to using my Mojo 2 at my desk without tying up the iPhone with connectors. This could work. I was unfamiliar with the WiiM Mini.

Sorry, not sorry :wink:

Can’t wait to hear what you think!

4 Likes