What's in the box!

I got it too and no luck. Lol

But the other spinfit models fit me perfectly!

1 Like

Synergistic says fuses are directional and that their fuse should be installed in direction of electron flow from “S” to “R” written on the fuse. But once you open the fuse holder, how do you know which way electron flows in the equipment?

6 Likes

I’ve been strongly considering getting these for my Powerplant and Stellaris. Let me know how it goes! As to direction, they literally want you to just try one way and then the other. They seem to think the difference will be sufficiently clear.

From their site:

This might be a terminology thing, but for a/c (like coming from the wall) the electrons don’t flow in any direction. They just wiggle back and forth.

Edit: Fun fact: In copper electrons move at a rate of about 1.5 inches per hour.

2 Likes

Yeah, you might want to wait. The first day with Purple fuses was a disaster. They do want you to re-evaluate directionality after 300-400 hours of burn-in though.

How so? Would love to hear what’s been bad/good about the experience. I was also considering trying a single orange fuse (they’re on sale, and about half the price) and see how it goes.

For sure, but I am willing to believe that the grain / molecular structure of the medium can have “directionality”, and thereby an effect on the end result. Enough people that I consider not to be BS peddlers have suggested as much - certainly not that it’s a “world of difference”, but that a difference exists. That said, I haven’t done any directionality experiments myself, so we’ll see.

I tried the purple fuses in my Stellaris as well as SFD-2 and returned them at the end of the 30 day period. They had an etched, thin quality that I just couldn’t get rid of, even after a significant burn-in period.

Orange, on the other hand…

Brought to you by the same people that rebrand a standard $2.50, Leviton 2 wire to U-ground adapter and call it a $45.00, Quantum Ground Lifter.

Oh, shoot, I guess burn-in may not help then.
After Purple Fuses went in, it felt like bass was decreased by 6dB and upper-midrange/low-treble was lifted by 3 dB’s. Sweetness replaced by hardness.

Orange fuses sound different?

You might have better luck, but purples never changed that much for me. I had thought I could live with it, then I popped the orange back in. The warmth and tone of my system returned instantly and that’s why I sent the purples back.

The best option to see if the SR fuse is for you is to try the discontinued 1st gen fuse (they look black, but they predate the ‘black’ fuse). They have the warmest tone, the technicalities are at least on par with stock fuses, and they are ridiculously cheap compared to the purple.

What happens when grown men cry for minutes with joy?

Well, they just buy what makes them happy again :wink: :grinning:

The xDuoo MT-604 in conjunction with the latest planar in-ears is an outstanding combination.

Here for example in connection with the Dunu Talos, a 4.4mm cable and the AZLA Sedna Earfit Light Eartips.

That’s why I bought the 604 a third time to have one available at all my listening stations.

Yes, the symbiosis is really so perfect that this investment is worthwhile :+1:

8 Likes

Amazon is late but they deliver.

Last week I saw Z’s review of the Moondrop Stellaris and as 99.9% gave these earbuds a lousy rating they are currently on sale for €80 so I had one of these parts shipped to see why Zeos was so excited.

Since I’m generally not interested in frequency curves, I approach HiFi goods without prejudice.

And I’m very excited about the Stellaris.

In the meantime I have a good routine in it, to immediately after opening the package, after a short test on the Questyle M15

(pure, clear and natural), I determine which tip sounds best (Spinfit CP145),

the result then shows, Which DAC/Amp (iFi Gryphon or xDuoo MT-604) fits.

Then, pure experience!

After five six minutes I had a déjàvu, intense, mid-focused, airy and packed with details.

WoW a Grado as in-ear, only a bit more intense and with excellent bass.

Sitting quietly and relaxing listening to music is not what the Stellaris is for, it is challenging and just fun, you want to swing and dance along.

The planar in-ear for the wing chair for complete relaxation is the P1 Max.

Both in-ears can be bought for under €100. +cable, tips and suitable amplifier if none is available, because an Apple dongle is definitely not enough to drive planar in-ears adequately.

7 Likes

ZMF Caldera arrived this week. :slight_smile:

26 Likes

Great pic of Caldera alongside Susvara! How is the resolution & timbre compared to Sus? I gather so far that Caldera is considered pretty neutral, and aesthetically they are obviously up to ZMF’s world class standard, but at $4k I wonder if they are really up to doing battle with the planar big boys in the resolution & timbre department (which tbh is really, I think, why people go high end planar rather than just Utopia)

3 Likes

Beautiful!

I’m also quite interested on your thoughts after you have a chance to spend some time with the Caldera, and vs Susvara.

Is that the white oak?

@chrisnyc75 and @robson I posted some initial impressions here: ZMF Headphones - Official Thread - #2192 by antdroid

4 Likes

These are from the B-Stock sale. I can’t see a reason why they are B-Stock. They come with a silver-plated OCC copper standard single ended cable that the Audeze site lists for $399, and slightly different BT Cipher cable - This one has gold accents, I don’t know if it’s just because it’s for the LCDi4, or perhaps a newer version (I hope BT-5). No standard Cipher cable, but I have two already. Usual assortment of ear things, cleaner tool, nice leather carrying case.

I note the lack of the Cipher cable is normal for this model, not a B stock omission. Also, I’m having trouble finding the standard Cipher on the Audeze site, so perhaps you only get it with the LCDi3 now. If so, it makes the LCDi3 a value winner.

First impressions with Cipher on iPhone → Qobuz are that it is similar to the LCDi3, but has better bass (Clearly better, I went through my Chameleon playlist) and more detail. Perhaps a bit better positioning in the soundstage, but the entire iSINE line has ridiculously huge soundstage for an IEM. I think I heard a bit more cymbal shimmer on Mercy Mercy Mercy, by the Cannonball Adderly Quartet and in the (Hancock) Chameleon cover by George Duke. Way too soon for real judgements.

21 Likes

Nice! Congratulations! I heard that the cipher cable does not do justice to the LCD-i4, it seems LCD-i4 opens up when is used with an amp.

1 Like

Wow those are a fine looking set. Having had the iSine 20’s i am very jealous of you. :blush:

1 Like

Yes, I’ve heard that also, and playing the LCDi3 on my FiiO K9 Pro with ROON’s Audeze EQ for them helps even the i3.

However, I’m not sure it’s the Cipher. Last night I noted that on my iPhone 12, with the Cipher I was running volume at a higher level than with the i3 - so the i4 is a bit harder to drive. I had the Cipher up to 80-85% volume.

Today I broke a rule and brought the i4s into work. I have the ANKER adapter for USB3 to lightning, and am running off of my iPad Pro M1. The iPad is usually plugged in via the power port on the magic keyboard. With this setup, I’m getting plenty of volume at lower indicated levels. I suspect that the Cipher cable gets more current from the M1 iPad than from my phone. It seems to have a bit more authority.

Perhaps someone with more background in these port implementations and the CIPHER might chime in here or elsewhere. (And tag me if it’s elsewhere)

3 Likes