New Here? This Is The Spot To Introduce Yourself

Welcome to all last week members. Enjoy

2 Likes

Hi All,

Just wanted to drop in and say hi - been lurking for a while and just decided to get a little more involved.

Well and truly falling down the rabbit hole - current collection is Focal Clear / Hifiman Arya / Denon 7200 / Beyerdynamic Amiron Home. For sources / amps / DACS Iā€™ve gone the Roon route, via a mini Limetree stack for most listening and a Bluesound Node and a Beyerdynamic A20 for the office.

Looks like a fun community and looking forward to being a part of it.

9 Likes

Hello and welcome @mwx1010, @Alien2085 and @JT0513.

3 Likes

Welcome to all this weeks new members.

2 Likes

Good evening all!

Iā€™ve been bitten by the audio bug since I owned my first car (1983). Went on to design and build my own subwoofer enclosures and then loudspeakers as a fun hobby. Sold home and car audio in 1992 for about 4 years when Panasonic Laser Disc players were cutting edge, M&K was THE name in home theater and B&W came out with the Nautilus. My first home audio crush was the Carver C-19 tube preamp. Remember California Audio Labs and Hafler? I even wired my mids and tweets in my Honda Civic hatch back with Kimber 8TC. Now letā€™s fast forward to todayā€¦

Being financially responsible means I have dreams of owning high end tube headphones amps and tubes to roll as far as the eye can see with a real world budget that means I shop for bargains on Ebay and Aliexpress. My gear includes 25 year old Grado sr60, Superlux HD668, Hifiman Edition S, Monolith M300 and KZ-ZS10 Pros. I use a SMSL VMV VA-2 and a Little Bear FU32.

I might be asking questions on these forums because I have decided i need a portable headphone amp and not being to test them myself, I might need some suggestions.

Thank you and take care!

12 Likes

Hello and welcome @Cor_Nell, @Whistle, @erik_szilagyi and @luisdent.

4 Likes

Hello, nice to be here in the community.

4 Likes

Thanks. Looking forward to spending some time on here now.

5 Likes

Hello and welcome @tomvu123.

4 Likes

Thank you! I appreciate the greetings.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome @JMo2 and @mikecheck95.

2 Likes

Thanks Paul - appreciate the welcome !
I must admit to being pleasantly surprised to witness the civility & respect members show each other on this forum. Seeing conversation w/out personal agenda/close mindedness poisoning things is refreshing.

Jerry Molnar

6 Likes

That is literally the essence of this place. Itā€™s why weā€™ve all gravitated here, and we do protect the atmosphere. Feel free to have your own opinion no matter what you believe, just donā€™t be rude about it.

6 Likes

Well, Iā€™ve already posted a couple times in the forum, and @prfallon69 already gave me his extremely kind, obligatory welcome, but I resisted introducing myself formally in this thread because I guess I felt shy about it. And maybe thatā€™s because I felt shy about headphones in general. I actually got seriously into headphones more than a decade ago, but then I sold everything. I even wrote an essay about it that was somewhat dismissive of my audiophile past. Iā€™d felt at the time that Iā€™d possibly wasted my money on gear for gearā€™s sake, chasing a placebo effect.

But then the pandemic hit, and all the craziness of 2020 pulled me back in, and I have to say, itā€™s just so wonderful to be savoring music like this again. I love nice gear (in my case LCD2f and a Lyr 3 with MB), but what I really love is how it elevates music listening to an active rather than a passive pursuit. I canā€™t remember the last time I spent an evening watching TV by myself. These days, if Iā€™m not hanging out with my wife or my kids, Iā€™m usually either researching new music to experience or listening hard for the details and visceral pleasure of something I love.

So I just wanted to say thanks for all the guidance and reviews from folks like @Resolve and @Chrono and @metal571, not to mention the livestreams from @MRHifiReviews and @TylersEclectic, and all the great info in these forums. This is one of the friendliest discussions Iā€™ve ever found on the web.

15 Likes

@robmcmyers we are so happy to have you here with us! I love your story and background too with audio and headphones. You are amongst like minded audio/music loving company. Cheers!

7 Likes

Welcome @robmcmyers . I love that essay you wrote. I thought it was realistic rather than dismissive, and especially liked the comparisons to alternative medicine. My allergies (hayfever for the Brits) were cured when I started getting acupuncture and I stopped taking allergy medicine. When Covid started, the acupuncture stopped and the allergies (and drugs) returned. Was it the needles that did it or the placebo affect? Who knows. Who cares. Whatever it was, it worked, and I look forward to going back to those needles in my chakras. Same thing with audio equipment. If I like it, who cares why.

4 Likes

Youā€™re right. I guess I wasnā€™t dismissive of my past in that essay. It was more that the essay was about my former dismissiveness. Anyway, thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome!

Introduction:
Over the years Iā€™ve owned quite a few lower-end to mid-fi headphones including the Sony MDR-7506, Audio Technica ATH M50, Hifiman Sundara, and Sennheiser HD600. I started on this journey because I ended up selling my Sundara to finance the purchase of the AirPods Max thinking they would be able to deliver great sound and I could be happy with them until the next thing came out. I was so disappointed and missed the Sundara so much and so viscerally that this made me wonder what else was out there. It made me realize that there really is a whole other level of audio that you can get from great headphonesā€¦ Iā€™m really only looking to own one or two pairs of headphones (famous last words Iā€™m sure) in the end but Iā€™m on this forum to try to figure out just how far Iā€™m willing to stretch my budget and what I can get for the money in a time where I canā€™t simply walk into a shop and try all of their headphones. Not to mention that my local HiFi dealer doesnā€™t have much variety in terms of headphones to begin with.

I look forward to learning about all of your experiences with different audio equipment!

7 Likes

Iā€™m a bit late to the party here but welcome aboard. I just joined this forum a couple of weeks ago and Iā€™ve found the group here to be very warm and informative.
I think youā€™ll get a lot of your time here as I already have.
And the funny thing is that many times you can put a face to a name by just jumping over to YouTube.
Itā€™s almost like we could just go hang at a bar or something and talk about tubes, power cables, and pad rolling!

A relief in this weird timeā€¦

Best sir!

7 Likes

Hello and welcome @JKK_Films, @gonzoznog, @ctrlm and @Bob_Parish.

3 Likes